PDA

View Full Version : What would you pay?

.sarah
03-15-2006, 12:01 AM
My mom's friend has asked me to train her dogs as she doesn't have the time to do so. I'm kind of nervous about it because this isn't someone who is new to dogs, or isn't really into them, but someone who used to breed (responsibly, and it was Labs :)) and is very active in the humane society, so I feel like she is expecting a lot out of me. I am pretty good at training, but also very new to it (Nova is the first dog I trained - she just turned one).

I was just wondering ... if you all were wanting someone to train your dog how much would you be willing to pay by the hour? She said her daughter charges $7.50 / hour but she will pay me more (and if you're wondering, she says her daughter won't train her dogs thoroughly like with her daughter's clients :confused: ). She is wanting me to teach stay and a strong recall (come) and also a few more things to make him a more well-rounded pet. I was thinking I would need at least two hours, but only charge her for one, because I would let him play for about 30 minutes, then train for 30, then play for 30, then train for 30. Does that sound reasonable?

She asked me to train him after she heard I had Buck sitting and coming on command at 5 weeks. lol

Attatched are photos of two of her dogs - they are both wirehair miniature Dachshunds. Gnocchi is the black and tan boy and he just turned one. He is the one I will be training. Ziti is the fawn (?) girl and she is 18 months. I will be training her also if all goes well with Gnocchi.

K9karen
03-15-2006, 12:25 AM
Hey! Training is such hard work! Lots of patience, endurance and not everyone can do it well. I don't think $15 an hour is unreasonable. Even though there'll be playtime, you're still going to be watching them and interacting.

Kfamr
03-15-2006, 06:00 AM
This is my opinion of course, you/her may think differently. If I were you, I wouldn't charge her a dime - more so I'd take it as a learning experience. People have asked me to train their dogs and when they've offered payment I've refused. Simply because I am not a professional. I've just enjoyed the fact that I've been able to work with another dog.

lv4dogs
03-15-2006, 08:45 AM
This is my opinion of course, you/her may think differently. If I were you, I wouldn't charge her a dime - more so I'd take it as a learning experience. People have asked me to train their dogs and when they've offered payment I've refused. Simply because I am not a professional. I've just enjoyed the fact that I've been able to work with another dog.

Thats about how I personally feel too, I also have turned down money because of the fact that I was not a professional and used it as a learning experience. There was one friend/cliet that wouldn't take no for an aswer & I had a few years under my belt & needed cash so I accepted $5/hour (this was in the 1990's though too).
Thats just me though.

I would say if you want to charge or she won't take no for an answer, since you are still learning and because you feel a little uncomfortable with that $5/hour would be ok.

jackie
03-15-2006, 09:24 AM
Would you like to train dogs for a living in the future?

If so, then I would train them free of charge, and use it as a learning experience/reference.

ParNone
03-15-2006, 09:36 AM
Hi Sarah,

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask to be paid, even if you're learning. I did many jobs as a kid, mowing lawns, painting houses, babysitting, etc and was a professionial in none of them. I learned as I went, but the job did get done, so I got paid for them.

If you feel akward about asking to be paid while learning, then make it part of the deal, that you get paid if you're successful in training Gnocchi.

I was a lil' confused about how you're going to train though. You're going to cram it all in one 2 hour session, with 1 hour devoted to training? If so I think you'll be able to get the concepts across, but to expect a strong recall with just one session, is a lil' unrealistic I think.

Just my opinion, but I think shorter sessions over more days would be more effective. A recall needs to be built over time with adding increasing levels of distraction after each success. The other thing to consider is you're training a Dachshund, not a Retriever, so it could take longer.

Par...

IRescue452
03-15-2006, 09:48 AM
If I took money I'd take no more than her daughter's price. I know what she means as my stepdad is a mechanic and will cut corners on family vehicles if he can, we aren't going to sue him- he spends as much time as possible on client cars though. Doxies are hard to train, especially on recall. This is going to be a much bigger challenge than a labrador. Does she understand that these are hounds and that she shouldn't expect fast results? I wouldn't want her to be angry because its taking longer for these dogs.

BC_MoM
03-15-2006, 11:32 AM
If I took money I'd take no more than her daughter's price.

Ditto. When I make "professional" websites for people, I don't charge.. I just do it to get my name out there for when I do it as a job! :D

But in this case, I WOULD ask for some money.. but not $15 and hour.

lizbud
03-15-2006, 11:46 AM
Cute dogs. :) It isn't the dogs who get trained, it's the people. Do you
think the dogs will respond to her as well as they would you, if you are the
one working with them? As to an amount, I have no idea.

beeniesmom
03-15-2006, 11:51 AM
I love the names: gnocchi and ziti.

Obviously your friend is Italian!

Saluti alla tua amica!

As for the $. I agree with Par None.

.sarah
03-15-2006, 02:01 PM
Thanks everyone. I had thought about not charging, I'm just not sure about that yet. I tend to do a lot of free jobs for people, and then they expect a lot out of me later and are always asking for more and more free jobs, and truth of the matter is - I'm not working right now and am paying for my pets and my savings account is being drained very quickly. I'm not looking to overcharge, and I wouldn't mind even if I was just making $5 an hour, but I do need some cash. Hope that doesn't sound selfish.

Would you like to train dogs for a living in the future?

If so, then I would train them free of charge, and use it as a learning experience/reference.Not for a living, but I will start training for the dog club I am a member of once I graduate next year. They don't pay though, everything is volunteer. This is more of an "odd job", for lack of better words. Not something I want to pursue professionally, but something I do enjoy and would have fun doing for other people. The lady I will be training for is hoping that in the future I will also do some pet sitting (and staying at her house) for her.

I was a lil' confused about how you're going to train though. You're going to cram it all in one 2 hour session, with 1 hour devoted to training? If so I think you'll be able to get the concepts across, but to expect a strong recall with just one session, is a lil' unrealistic I think.No, what I meant was 2 hours / day, probably 2-3 times a week until he learns the commands. Sorry for the confusion. I am doing it for 2 hours (1 hour play time) because she lives way far away and I will be spending a lot on gas money to go over there and want to make my time worth while. :)

Just my opinion, but I think shorter sessions over more days would be more effective. A recall needs to be built over time with adding increasing levels of distraction after each success. The other thing to consider is you're training a Dachshund, not a Retriever, so it could take longer.Yeah, I'm pretty familiar with the breed (I used to own one and delt with them often when I worked at the vet). They are quite the turds, I know. :p I'm ready for the challenge though, especially since I am wanting another Doxie someday. I think it will help better my training skills to have a hard headed, stubborn Dachshund at my feet.

If I took money I'd take no more than her daughter's price. I know what she means as my stepdad is a mechanic and will cut corners on family vehicles if he can, we aren't going to sue him- he spends as much time as possible on client cars though. Doxies are hard to train, especially on recall. This is going to be a much bigger challenge than a labrador. Does she understand that these are hounds and that she shouldn't expect fast results? I wouldn't want her to be angry because its taking longer for these dogs.Yeah, she has had Dachshunds for a while now (she has another older Dachshund) and she's very familiar with the breed.

Cute dogs. :) It isn't the dogs who get trained, it's the people. Do you
think the dogs will respond to her as well as they would you, if you are the
one working with them? As to an amount, I have no idea.She's familiar with the training, how you need to follow through with commands and such, so I feel pretty confident that she won't need to call me later and have me train him again because she's messed him up. :)

I love the names: gnocchi and ziti.

Obviously your friend is Italian!

Saluti alla tua amica!

As for the $. I agree with Par None.
lol ... she's actually Jewish, but I guess she likes pasta!

BOBS DAD
03-15-2006, 02:40 PM
Hi Sarah,

I agree with a lot of what has been said and not so with some of it. I DO THINK it would be certainly acceptable to ask a nominal fee to be paid for your efforts. Of course, you may not be a professional (yet) but you may very well have a knack for this sort of thing. Also, you are not just a little kid (I checked your profile and you are 16 - 17ish) who would simply be rewarded by having the opportunity to "play with" some dog and likely accomplish nothing.

Like others had mentioned, we all have had jobs or commissions as kids and getting paid was a very good learning experience for us. We learned the value of hard work and a job well done and the most basic of all lessons - nothing is free. Also because we are paid far less as young adults, we learn that a car, a trip or something of equivalent value takes alot ALOT "ALOT" (get it - ALOT) of trained pups, or shoveling manure or snow - whatever. It is a great lesson in life. So we now know that a gift of similar significance is a really great gift and not to be taken lightly!!!

I worked summers from 15 years on with road paving crews, landscapers and general maintenance through my college years to help pay for my education. As an artist and an art major, I had unique God given abilities (as does everyone) that were often taken advantage of. "Paint me a portrait", "draw my dog, my girlfriend (no pun connection - just what came to my mind in that order)", "Can you do a Landscape?" How about an oil, just a quick sketch... etc., etc.. Just because you are good at something doesn't mean that you are just waiting for the next opportunity to spend the next week with all your free time doing something for someone else. Your local mechanic doesn't come home and spend all his free time fixing his neighbors cars for nothing. At least mine doesn't. I had to have spent hundreds of hours on freebie artwork. And the more you do, the more is expected... and Oh my God, no one would ever expect you to think of charging them!!!! My mom used to volunteeer me to do things like CRAZY!!! Paint the Sistine chapel at her church, "Oh Danny will do that for you Father". "Oh no, don't be silly... he wouldn't think of accepting money".

Anyways, since it all got started on the wromg foot, my only way out gracefully was to simply decline. I couldn't go back now and start charging for these things? Even though I was now earning my living for these same services. I "never did" before. So my advice is to go ahead and charge.

I would take the $7.50 she offered and I like the suggestion of accepting your pay for a successful endeavor. So wait to be paid after you've accomplished your objective, And I also agree that you probably should not be too unrealistic. One session is asking a lot of you and the pup. How about 3 - 2 hour sessions in which you play 1/2 hour each session (for which you don't charge) - but you do charge for a total of 4.5 @ 7.50 = 33.75 - oh heck, round it off for say $30.00. I would gladly pay that for a successful outcome.

I know others disagree, but again - you are 17 years old and it is not unreasonable to expect to get paid for a job. Even McDonalds pays $7.50 to flip a hamburger!

Flatcoatluver
03-15-2006, 02:59 PM
I did the same thing too.

DIANESDOGS
03-16-2006, 12:49 PM
I would gladly pay the $7.50 you mentioned to have someone do personal training for my dog(s). Especially if, as others suggested, they charge me after the training to insure that I am satisfied with the results. I see no problem with charging for your services. JUST MY OPINION. :p

lute
03-16-2006, 01:51 PM
This is my opinion of course, you/her may think differently. If I were you, I wouldn't charge her a dime - more so I'd take it as a learning experience. People have asked me to train their dogs and when they've offered payment I've refused. Simply because I am not a professional. I've just enjoyed the fact that I've been able to work with another dog

i agree. i train dogs for people here. i'm currently housebreaking and basic training my grandmothers shih tzu puppy. she pays me about $20 a week. she offers to pay me more, but grandpa fixed my car so i won't take all the money they offer me.

to answer the origonal question. i would pay anywhere between $5- $7 for a good newer trainer.

anna_66
03-16-2006, 03:46 PM
This sounds like a great job for you Sara and as others have said there's nothing wrong with getting paid for a job, professional or not.
Since you are going to be doing a great deal of driving I'd make sure I figured the gas into the price/hr and add a couple of dollars. Personally I don't think it's unreasonable as the price of gas here just went up to $2.65/gl :eek:

Good luck and I'm sure you'll do great!