PDA

View Full Version : Good News!!

heidiv
03-14-2006, 05:11 PM
I knew that my persistance would pay off. I finally have a momma cat that needs a place to stay while she has and raises her babies and she is going to stay with us :D :D :D I am so excited I am busting at the the chance. I am going to pick her up on Thrusday and I will post pictures of the sweetie that day also. She will be the first kitty to see our new foster room that my husband and I remodeled just for the kitties. I will post pictures of that all so.
Its has been a really long time since I have been around a mother kitty ready to have kittens hope all goes well????? Does anyone have any suggestions for a diet that a mother cat should be on to provide good nurishment for the kittens?? I want to make sure that I have everything here so it is easier for her to settle in.
Any suggestions would be great!!
Thanks

Laura's Babies
03-14-2006, 07:21 PM
I have heard them say to give pregnant cats kitten chow. I would be as excited as you are too! Make sure you have fresh batteries for that camera!

jenluckenbach
03-15-2006, 05:24 AM
Congratulations on your first foster. I remember MY first foster (pregnant Bonnie and then her 4 babies).
I would feed her kitten food. I would have KMR (kitten replacement milk) on hand in case you need it. Give her several boxes, cages or carriers for her to choose as a nest.

heidiv
03-15-2006, 07:19 PM
HI
Well I picked up the mother and she had her kittens today early she had a total of 7 kitttens but she lost 3 so as of right now we have 4 kittens fighting for life. I transported her to my home and she really was not interested in the kittens at ALLLLLL. So I took her into the foster room let her out of her cage and let her walk and explore gave her some food along with her litter box and then tried to coax her back into the cage to see if she would feed the kittens and I made her lie down and the kittens were drawn to her of course. And almost immediately she started to purr and lied down for them to nurse. Man I hope she doesn't reject them. She is completely wiped out. She has been in labor ALL DAY. I imagine she is exhausted. Not to mension the new surroundings which I may add seems to be a good thing considering how noisy it was at the shelter. I hope she is going to be there for the babies for the remainder of the night?? I am going to set my phone to go off every 4 hours the check on her and them throughout the night. Man girls, I could sure use the help in the rejecting kittens advice because I really am scared that she is going to do that. If she does the girls at the shelter said that they would bottle feed the kittens and I think I will keep her here to get her a little more socialized if it doesn't work she is such a sweetheart considering she is a stray. HELP I don't want to do the wrong thing :( :( :(

smokey the elder
03-15-2006, 07:35 PM
She might just be really tired. I'd mix up some KMR with some canned kitten food and offer it to her. I hope she nurses the rest of the kittens. 7 is a very big litter. Good luck!

rosethecopycat
03-19-2006, 11:46 AM
Thank you for helping them.
What a hard introduction to fostering. I do small kittens but I haven't done newborns or a queen with newborns.

You have to see that they are feeding, I would only let 2 hours go by without checking them. Kittens can fade fast.

KMR with a kitten nipple, if she won't let them feed.

And they have to be warm enough. Are you in contact with a vet that can help?

It is a big undertaking, but it will be rewarding too.

Best of Luck with the babes.

Killer Kitten
04-01-2006, 01:38 PM
I love fostering moms with kits. Mom does all the work and I can just enjoy the kittens virtually labor free.
The last one I did was lovely Kiera, who came to me with two kittens. I was overcrowded when she showed up, and every other kitten who was staying with me decided that poor Kiera was their long lost mom, too. Sweet and patient Kiera just mothered all of them.
After all of that the shelter decided that Kiera wasn't up to their standards and rejected her and her two original kittens, Riddick and Vannay. I managed to place her boys with a nice local family, but Kiera is still waiting for her forever home. In the meantime, at least her kitten raising days are behind her and she enjoys long sunny naps in my cat room.
Here's a shot of Kiera buried under her brood, natural and adopted, and another shot of Kiera today, spayed and brood-free.