PDA

View Full Version : Chinchillas and Guinea Pigs?

Sadie_Sasha
03-14-2006, 04:13 PM
Hey guys, i was wondering, im thinking about getting a chinchilla, but I dont realy know a whole lot about them.

I heard they get along wirh GUinea Pigs, if so that would be great becasue I have 2.

Anything anyone can tell me about them?
i know their pretty active and need dust/sand baths. But other then that.. nyhting??

Jessika
03-14-2006, 04:27 PM
They do better in pairs I've read and are not pets for novices! They need a large cage and like to jump so they will need ledges and a tall cage so they can jump from ledge to ledge.

They are very shy animals with training can come to be friendly towards and around you but don't be surprised if they hide in their cage all day.

Suki Wingy
03-14-2006, 04:27 PM
they don't tollerate temps over 75 F I read.

Jessika
03-14-2006, 04:28 PM
they don't tollerate temps over 75 F I read.
Ah you just reminded me, this is true because they are native to colder temperatures in mountains. I forget in which region but they do do better in cooler temperatures.

Suki Wingy
03-14-2006, 04:32 PM
Volcanic mountains of the Andes

chrissycat21
03-14-2006, 06:30 PM
I definatley would not put them with guinea pigs. Please keep your piggys happy and safe with just each other. :)

IRescue452
03-14-2006, 07:56 PM
Perhaps if they grow up together they would be fine, but I wouldn't want to risk it. I know my sister's chins would not get along with guinea pigs.

BitsyNaceyDog
03-15-2006, 10:42 AM
I have 3 chinchillas. What the others have said is all right.
They are wonderful pets, but certainly not for everyone.
They are 'shy' animals and often don't like to be held.
They can die from being in temperatures too warm. I have a marble slab that I put in their cage for them to lay on which helps from overheating if the power goes out.
I definitely would not put them with guinea pigs.
They do need dust bathes. I give mine a dust bath a couple times a week.
They are nocturnal and very noisy at night.
They are quite messy. The dust gets everywhere and their fur flies everywhere too. Vacuuming often (daily) is a must. I have a shop vac that works well.

Sadie_Sasha
03-15-2006, 01:06 PM
I should have stated that better.

I do not plan on putting him in with the guinea pigs, I was just wondering about if I took my 2 pigging out and the chin out would they be able to interact without there being much porblems.

I know Ferrets arnt a good idea to play with piggies, But I know my GPs would be fine with one because they cuddle with my dog, So if they can handle being herded by a border collie, im sure they can handle amlost anything :)
within reason of corse.

But I think Im still going to get one, But keep the little guy away from my GPs. if their in the same room, would that matter?? but different cages of corse.

BitsyNaceyDog
03-15-2006, 06:04 PM
I know my GPs would be fine with one because they cuddle with my dog, So if they can handle being herded by a border collie, im sure they can handle amlost anything :)
within reason of corse. The concern would be more with how the chin would handle it. They are shy creatures and may be a bit weary of another animal. Slowly introduced and with proper supervision they'd probably be fine. They aren't at all aggressive animals.

But I think Im still going to get one, But keep the little guy away from my GPs. if their in the same room, would that matter?? but different cages of corse.
I'd strongly suggest if you do get one, please get two. They really enjoy the companionship. My chins all sleep together and run around together. Just be sure they are both the same sex (and it can be difficult to tell, so be careful). :)
They'd be fine in the same room as a guinea pig since pigs aren't too noisy. Chins are nocturnal though so don't keep them somewhere that gets a lot of activity during the day. Mine are in a spare bedroom. Also because they're nocturnal they are really active and noisy during the night, that might disturb the pigs.

Also unlike guinea pigs chins can't have fruits and veggies. They can have raisins as a treat a couple times a week, but that's about it. I feed Oxbow (http://www.oxbowhay.com/Shop/showProduct.sp?PRODUCT_NO=49) pellets. Just like with dog food or guinea pig food some chin foods are better quality than others. They should have hay available too, I feed Oxbow hay.

jesse_3
03-16-2006, 12:18 AM
I don't know much about chinchilla's, but a good website to look at would be http://www.chins-n-quills.com/forums

I just want to throw in that I am glad you are willing to learn about them and do research on a chin before you get one, hopefully two!

Good luck...
Steph and Splinter

Sadie_Sasha
03-16-2006, 03:24 PM
thanks guys

you have been such a great help.

But I mentioned to my parents i was thinking about getingone and they freaked out.
They said 2 hairy monsters in a cage is enough (talking about my guinea pigs.)

and I do research on any animal before I get one, Because i want to be prepared to know if they would be a good match for me or not. I was thinking about a ferret, But then found out they could really stress out or possibally attack my guinea pigs and thats when I decided against that.

BitsyNaceyDog
03-17-2006, 09:26 AM
and I do research on any animal before I get one, Because i want to be prepared to know if they would be a good match for me or not. I was thinking about a ferret, But then found out they could really stress out or possibally attack my guinea pigs and thats when I decided against that.

Ferrets are absolutely wonderful! I had one who went to RB a few years ago. I also had a rabbit at the same time. I of corse never had them out at the same time or even kept their cages anywhere near each other. It was funny though, whenever my bunny was out and hopped anywhere near the ferret cage he would stomp his feet and run away.