PDA

View Full Version : I did it again

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-14-2006, 01:52 PM
Yep, I tortured myself by going to PetSmart during lunch. Got the food I was looking for, found a de-matting brush/comb for Peanut and then headed to the torture chamber, aka the adoption center. ;)

There were two gray and white boys that have been there forever! I first saw them when they were about 6 month old kittens, and I believe they are almost two years old now. :( They are brothers who "love each other very much and must be adopted together" at a cost of $175.00. I'm sure that's why they're still there. Their little sign also says they are shy and need to be given a chance. Well....no wonder they're shy, they've spent almost their entire lives in a cage at PetSmart!

There were some adorable tabby kittens, a BIG tuxie girl an adorable white and gray that reminded me of CJ but gray instead of orange and then.....the one I would take if I could. Lucky his name is. He's a big 8 year old boy, mostly white with some orange. He had the body shape of Tubby, aka fluffy. ;) He looked really rough though. He most certainly wasn't a nice clean white and he had goop on both his eyes. There were some people in the room looking at the kittens and he just calmly sat and watched them. Then he turned his head and I noticed he had a spot on the side of his neck that was shaved with 3 bright red puncture wounds! I immediately though "Oh poor baby!" but then he yawned, nice biiiig yawn, and I noticed one of his "fangs" was missing. It appeared to me that this guy had had a bit of a rough time of it lately, which made me want to really bring him home and pamper him. His card said he was a laid back sweet guy, and also that he was to be fed ONLY allergy food - no treats or anything, JUST allergy food! I thought "Woo hoo, I know all about allergy food, this guy would fit right in!" ;) :D I watched him for awhile and his actions just so reminded me of Tubby.

I wanted SO bad to bring him home, get him cleaned up and pamper him beyond what he deserves, but alas, as usual, I had to turn away...... :( Now his face is going to haunt me forever, especially since I know kitten season is about to hit good and strong and what are the chances an 8 year old, "fluffy" male with "issues" is going to be adopted. I guess the good news is, as evidenced by the two brothers that are still there, he now has a home forever, even if it is a cage in a store....it's still better than the street..... :(

catmandu
03-14-2006, 01:58 PM
Thtas the Saddest Place for me as I want to take home All Those Sad faces and give them All a Furr Ever Home.
Why dont we give them a home and make the Careless and Stupid Owners sit in Cages?
All of this could be avoided if people took responsibility for thier Actions.

sirrahbed
03-14-2006, 02:00 PM
Of Debbie, I can certainly sympathize with you!! I also posted about an adult kitty I saw this weekend at PetsMart. Her vacant and unhappy face is haunting me. Sadly, "torture Chamber" is a good description :(

Knowing that a cage is better than the street brings some comfort. I am still thinking about the beautiful kitty I was this weekend, too. Still, I hate to think about these animals living so long while cages like the two boys you talked about. Our Emily & Eliot had to be adopted together.

I guess we will never stop visiting the shelter animals will we? I know I can't seem to resist. I think that even a bit of interaction and neck scratching is better than being all alone with no attention - and I just keep hoping that a new owner will soon come to pick each of them up.

Why do we do this??? :rolleyes:

bluekat
03-14-2006, 02:03 PM
I always have to stop by the adoptions whenever I'm at Petsmart..:( *sighs* its just too hard to resist. I hope those 2 grey & white boys find a nice home soon.

I'm thinking of volunteering at a PetSmart around here soon. I know if I go I'll want to take them all home though :p

slick
03-14-2006, 02:41 PM
Debbie....it's for that same reason that I refuse to go into Petsmart anymore. I just can't take it...their sweet faces looking at me from behind the cage. The last Petsmart I was at where Kismit is, the cats are not in cages and walking around freely. That's even worse because they rub up against you and talk to you and you can pick them up.....then to have to walk out empty-handed breaks my heart so I won't go in there anymore. When Max makes the "trip" I will be looking for two together just like the grey and whites you saw.

jazzcat
03-14-2006, 02:55 PM
I too know how you feel. I have one at the PetsMart "torture chamber" who haunts me. She was originally at the county shelter and then Animal Works (the rescue where I adopted both Jazz and Scout) saved her and now they have her at their adoption center at the PetsMart near me. Anyway she has been in the system for a year and you can tell by looking at her that her muscles have wasted and she is just getting fat from being confined in a cage 24/7. She breaks my heart. I'd love to adopt her but we are at our limit and finally at a little peace with Ripley and his stress.

Here she is on Petfinder. It says she's a year old but that was typed up last summer.
Teasdale (http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=4963390)

jackie
03-14-2006, 03:44 PM
I shouldn´t click on these thread.

I am fighting back tears now. :(

jenluckenbach
03-14-2006, 04:02 PM
Those adoption center cages are not meant to house cats indefinitely. :mad: They should be rotated, sent back to foster homes etc. ((yes, I realize that there may not be a foster home to go to, but.....))

I am not completely immune to those centers either. :( I actually volunteer at the Petsmart adoption center of a DIFFERENT rescue group than 1by1 (because it is so close to me, and they needed help).........WELL! Let me tell you who I want to adopt. it is an orangie male who is Y.Lee #2. Not that bright orange color, but the dull "smudgie" colored orange that makes them look like they rolled in soot. Just my beloved (RB) Y.Lee. and just as big and sweet as him too. :( But alas, even I can't save them all either.

moosmom
03-14-2006, 04:41 PM
When I lived in Michigan, I used to torture myself by going to the PetSmart there. I learned from the rescue organization whose cats they house, that the cats aren't there for long periods of time, they shift the cats so they are also in foster homes.

Deb,

Don't feel bad. I do the same thing. Only I go to the Humane Society. SO far I've been a good girl and keep telling myself that I have a hard enough time feeding MYSELF (right now at least) let alone 4 cats. Until I get a place of my own (not sure when that'll be), I've gotta say no. If I hadn't said no from past visits, this apartment would be swarming with cats. No, not really. Actually, me and my furkids would be living out of my car!!

Don Juan's mom
03-14-2006, 04:47 PM
Our local Petsmart rotates its adoption center, so that each rescue group has it for a short time. Hopalong Animal Rescue (Zerlina's fosters) were about to "rotate out" when I adopted her.

And, the last few times I've been in there, they've had no cats in the adoption center. CAREpets, which has its headquarters near my apartment, has its weekly cat adoption fair there on Friday nights.

Liz

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-14-2006, 05:03 PM
I found his Petfinder.com listing
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=2738320
It doesn't really show the orange on him, you can see a spot on his head and if you look close there are a few splotches of really light orange. The goop in his eyes was twice as bad as in this pic, and you can kind of see how dirty he is. If he was living in someone's basement, I'm surprised he hasn't cleaned himself up a bit, but if he was sick.... Poor big guy. :(

catfamily
03-14-2006, 05:13 PM
OK If you take Lucky I'll call them about the 2 grey and whites. :D ;)
I would take the grey and whites if I knew they got along with other cats.2 years makes me very upset.Not good.Not good.
I recently tried Spencer at my home but he obviosly hated other cats.He was outside roughed up too long.A nice cat though that loves people.Just needed to be the only pet.Noone really knew though until we tried.

caseysmom
03-14-2006, 05:13 PM
I did the same thing last week. Today is the day my daughters called my rb gigi's birthday, since she was a stray we didn't know her actual birthday. My daughter has been real emotional about it this week, I think because there birthdays were close and we got gigi (or gigi got us) when my daughter was only 6 months old.

I told my daughter maybe we should get another kitty but she says she wants gigi not another kitty, I think if we are able to give a kitty a home we should I would really like to get one from the high kill shelter in town. I have to go in soon and renew bubba's dog license....hmmmm maybe I will come home with not only a license :D

Laura's Babies
03-14-2006, 05:42 PM
Big SIGH! I love visiting the cats at Pet Smart but ripping myself away is so hard so I know what you mean about that. I will ask to hold some and some, while being friendly to you on the other side of the glass are scared to death when you try to hold them.