PDA

View Full Version : Are any of you short sighted and using bifocals?

Randi
03-14-2006, 12:24 PM
I'm thinking of getting bifocals, but I'm really not sure I can get used to them. I did have a pair for a few days and only used them for about half an hour. When I looked to the side it went all blurry. :( I don't want that!

Anyway, my bag got stolen the next day and I lost them.

This was more than 5 years ago, but I guess they have made progress since then and can grind? them differently.

I suppose it also makes a huge difference what strengh they are. I use more than minus 5.

If you have any experience with bifocals, I'd love to know! :)

caseysmom
03-14-2006, 12:29 PM
I tried bifocals...didn't care for them. I now do a monovision thing, I wear one contact to correct my nearsightedness and my other eye is for reading and my brain puts it all together. It works great. When I want to sit down and read a book I do best with no glasses/contacts.

slick
03-14-2006, 12:31 PM
Hello my good friend. :)
Yes, I have bifocals...actually they are now called Progressive Lenses. There is no visible line at all but it did take a week or two for me to get used to them. The lower part is for reading and the center is for distance. If I try to read a book through the centre of the lense it's all blurry so I had to learn how to hold my head to read.... :D

Miss Z
03-14-2006, 12:44 PM
Agh, my eyes are going, turns out i'm short sighted (at just 14, grr!). Well, it was going to happen sooner or later, my mum's long sighted and my dad's short-sighted, so i was going to be one or the other! Sorry, i'm not much help here, i don't know what i'm getting yet, but i'm hoping for contact lenses:rolleyes: :)

Catsnclay
03-14-2006, 01:28 PM
Ah yes, bifocals......it's a "dirty" word around our house! :eek: This is what happens when you get older :(

Since I wear contact lens, it has become a need to see things close, and that is where bifocals or 1/2 eyes have become part of my life. I tried the mono-vision cl's, but with my line of work it didn't work out for me.

I also have a pair of glasses with the progressive lenses in them, and they do work wonderfully - once you learn how they work.

But most of the time I wear my contact lens (for distance) with a pair of 1/2 eyes VERY close at hand! :rolleyes: as a matter of fact I do believe I have a pair of 1/2 eyes in each room of the house, and a pair that stays in my purse, but for some reason I can never find a pair when I need them! :rolleyes: ;)

Barbara
03-14-2006, 03:19 PM
I have these progressive lenses too. I have -7 regarding short sight and + 1,75 for the reading zone.
I put them on 4 years ago and kept them on my nose. No problem. It is true that you can't see that well on the side zone, well you learn that in a day and will never notice again. The same with that zone in between. You just learn to go over it quickly. It never bothers me.
Just try! It is so much better than looking for your glasses all day long (and I know of whom I'm talking here- someone who has reading glasses, car driving glasses, piano glasses plus bifocals :D )

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-14-2006, 03:29 PM
I had to learn how to hold my head to read.... :D

That is exactly why I cannot wear a bifocal :( . I love to read , but as I have a hernia in my neck, I have to hold my book higher, right in front of my eyes :rolleyes: . But if you want to read with bifocal glasses, you have to read through the bottom side of those. Does this make any sense??

If you don't have this problem, I think you can do it! It is a matter of getting used to it really. That's what others told me :)

jenluckenbach
03-14-2006, 03:50 PM
I had the progressive type of bifocals since I was 27 years old. They reduce the strain on my eyes while doing close work. People prone to motion sickness often take some time to adjust to them, but you CAN and you will be thankful in the longrun. I had NO problems as I recall (long time ago, you know. :rolleyes:

moosmom
03-14-2006, 04:09 PM
Randi,

I also have progressive bifocals and love them!! I'm far sighted (can't see $hit close up) and I never had a problem getting used to them. I also think it depends on the strength of the bifocal. Believe me, I am BLIND when it comes to seeing things close up, so for me not to have problem with them, you probably won't either. Just be careful going downstairs, both of your bifocals AND cats!!!!! Especially hairless ones! :mad:

Edwina's Secretary
03-14-2006, 06:21 PM
My glasses are progressive lenses but I rarely wear them. I wear contacts most the time and "readers" over them.

I have to admit I have never really mastered the progressive lenses but I think because I haven't really had to do so.

Craftlady
03-14-2006, 07:02 PM
Raising hand, yep bifocals here. No lines. The line ones were harder to get used to didnt like them.
Only have to wear them for close up and reading. Anymore they get worn allot more than when I was younger. LOL
Upper half is clear lens for me.
You get used to positioning the head to see things or read.

Randi
07-05-2006, 02:44 PM
I just saw David's thread and remembered this one.

I got my bifocals a month ago. When I put them on, I was amazed that nothing was blurry - like with the other ones I had for a few days. Ok, I'm not really using them yet, but they're nice to have as extras. The reading field is a bit narrow for my taste, but that's probably because I should have chosen a bigger frame. However, I still prefer to read without glasses. ;)

So David, go for them, but make sure they're made totally right! You'll soon get used to them. :)

rosethecopycat
07-05-2006, 10:23 PM
I've been nearsighted for 35 years. I always wear my glasses, but this year, I am beginning not to see things up close.
I can't see to clip my nails or the cats.
I have to tear off my glasses to do these things now. It's not effecting my reading, yet. :rolleyes:

I might investigate whether Lasik can correct my nearsightedness and leave me with only 'up close' glasses.
I know they can do the monovision thing with Lasik, but that scares me. What if you don't like it?

I want to avoid Bifocals, and I am extremely prone to motion sickness.

Any one with experience with Lasik and two vision problems?