PDA

View Full Version : Question...

jesse_3
03-13-2006, 08:33 PM
Well, I posted about my guppy boys before, and it wasn't too smart getting them before I did more research on them. Just some quick onfo on it, I got a 2.5 gallon tank, and got two male guppies for it. They have survived well, and have been happy, until recently. They have started to fight a lot, and they are staying on opposite sides of the cage most of the time. I had it planned for someone to take one of them, but the person changed their mind on the last second. Well, I believe that I have now found a home for them with my piano teacher. They would be in a huge tank (I am not sure on exactly what size) with female guppies.
Even though I made a mistake, I am trying really hard to fix it, and I believe I have found a solution..I hope that you all understand.

Now, if Citris and Caribbean do leave, people had suggested a betta fish to me. I absolutely love betta's, and I don't know why I did not get one before. Do you think that I could do that, or since I was irresponsible before, I should give my guppy boys away, and store away the tank?

One last question. I am having severe algae problems, so IF I get this betta, is there enough room for a chinese algae eater, or not?

Thanks, and sorry this is so long!
Stephanie

Karen
03-14-2006, 09:29 AM
Are you treating the water at all? How often do you clean the tank? Why is your algae problem severe?

jackie
03-14-2006, 03:16 PM
You need to change the tank water at least once a week, and you should leave the tank light on about 12-14 hours a day, more then that, and you can get algae problems.

Do not get a chinese algae eater, one betta is the only suitable fish for that tank.

With frequent water changes and a glass scraper the algae should disappear! :D

Jessika
03-14-2006, 03:23 PM
If you have an algae problem its probably because the tank is receiving too much sunlight. Try moving it away from a window or into another room?

I think a betta would thrive in a 2.5 gallon tank. :) You realized your mistake with the guppies and are trying to fix the problem, so that shows you have learned something from the ordeal! :)

IRescue452
03-14-2006, 08:01 PM
If you get rid of the guppies then you can clean out the algae completely before a betta. With the guppies in the tank you could just black it out for a few days to get rid of the algae. You really don't need a light for the tank at all, especially not for 14 hours a day. Light just encourages algae growth. Just turn the light on when you want to see the fish better, don't leave it on for any amounts of time.

jesse_3
03-14-2006, 09:56 PM
Are you treating the water at all? How often do you clean the tank? Why is your algae problem severe?
Well, I don't have any good products around our town, that I can find, for the water, and I am cleaning the tank every 3 days, and replacing half the water almost every day.
The algae problem is severe in the fact that if I leave the tank for more then three days, you can't see in it clearly anymore. Then again, you all answered it. I have light on it 24/7, so that should help if I turned it off:o

Well, it is official! My guppy boys are going to my piano teacher tomorrow! Please wish Citris and Caribbean good luck, to have fun, and be healthy! I am sad that they are leaving, but I know that they will be happier!

Thanks everyone, and I will let you all know when I get my betta! - I will be needing name suggestions for him, and I will post a pic of him, when I get him...

Thanks SO much everyone! My algae problem will be solved, my guppy boys will be happy and healthy, and there will now be another PT betta!:D
Steph, Citris, and Caribbean