PDA

View Full Version : First day on the job...

moosmom
03-13-2006, 06:02 PM
went very well. ALOT to learn!!! SOOOOOO different from the newsroom at the Hartford Courant!

I want SOOOO badly to work out in the newsroom, but I know that will come in time. They encourage you to move around the company as jobs become available. After 6 months, I'll be able to apply for other departments.

The only odd thing I found, is that the people in the newsroom act like I'm some kind of alien. You know like they're better than anyone else in the company. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think so.

The only thing that sucks is the pay is bi-weekly. I don't get my first paycheck till March 31st!! I was HOPING that my BB&B check would take up the slack. But both pay periods land on the same weeks. Oh well.

Anyway, it feels great to be gainfully employed again. :D:D

Laura's Babies
03-13-2006, 06:19 PM
I went from getting paid MONTHLY (at school) to twice a month on the river.. Twice a month is a lot better than monthly!

kimlovescats
03-13-2006, 07:08 PM
Congrats on the new job, Donna!
Hey ... check out Cat General ... we have a new Naked Cat Mom here now! ;)

moosmom
03-13-2006, 07:39 PM
Hey ... check out Cat General ... we have a new Naked Cat Mom

Really? I'll have to go there now and see.

moosmom
03-14-2006, 06:32 PM
The only odd thing I found, is that the people in the newsroom act like I'm some kind of alien. You know like they're better than anyone else in the company. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think so.

Well, I was right after all! It WASN'T my imagination. Mo (my supervisor) told me the newsroom people consider the circulation people the bottom of the barrel. She said when she first started working there, she said hello to them. They would either look away or down and not even acknowledge her existence. It's sad because we all work for the same company. At least at the Hartford Courant everyone was friendly. This is gonna take some getting used to.

I met the man who wrote me this wonderful letter after my Dad passed away, Patrick Hogan. What a sweet man he is. He told me when he had some time, he'd take me in the lab and show me where my Dad worked. It has an old scanner drum with Dad's name etched in it, along with a sign with some saying (probably one of his absolute favorite sayings too) that he put up on the wall. I'm not quite sure I'm emotionally ready for THAT kind of tour just yet.

K9karen
03-15-2006, 01:08 AM
Don't you just love the better than thou attitude? :rolleyes: Yeah, well, I'm sure their jobs would be in jeopardy if it wasn't for the circulation department. One day at a time. Learn everything you can. Bi-weekly does suck. That's how I was paid for years and I never did get used to it because of the due dates on my bills. Now I get paid on the 2nd Wed of every month. I had to call all my accounts and have the billing dates changed to one particular day. Could be worse. I could have NO money. Hopefully by Sept, I'll be back in the working world. I can't wait. Good Luck, Donna! Maybe in a few weeks, you;ll be able to see your dad's old "office". Be proud and happy that everyone loved and respected him so much!

smokey the elder
03-15-2006, 08:06 AM
It's like that where I work. The organic chemists think they're better than anyone else. Well, your stuff doesn't get passed until WE (Analytical) says it passes! :D Good luck! There's folks like that everywhere, I think.