PDA

View Full Version : Shelby

MyLittleMutt
03-13-2006, 02:05 PM
I don't have good news. I have been debating all day if I should post this. I just don't want anyone to be upset with me. It was not my decision, but my husband's decision. I tried get him change his mind but he would not budge on his opinion at all.

Saturday evening, I noticed that Shelby was scratching a lot. I thought maybe she had dry skin or fleas. I checked her and noticed some scabs on her head and all over her body. The area where she was scratching was really red and looked infected. Well I decided call the vet but didn't get no answer, I left a message for them call me back.

I get a call about a hour after I called the vet. Well it wasn't the vet. It was the foster mom she said she took the other puppies to the vet that day. She said the vet said they all had mange. I asked her if it was contagious? The vet told her it wasn't. Thank goodness for that.

She told me take Shelby to the vet and get them to give her Ivermectin injections.

I told my husband about the mange, and they we had take Shelby to the vet to get her some treatment. He got all upset and said the foster mom should had known before she adopted the puppies out. He kept saying now Tucker is going get it.

I tried and tried tell him that it wasn't right to give her back. That Tucker wouln't get it. He would not listen to me at all even after the vet called and confirmed that Tucker could not get it.

So I had do the hardest thing I've ever had to do. I had to give her back.

My husband said I can get another puppy again later. He said he never ever wants go through a shelter or rescue again. :( He said that is all they have is sick dogs. :mad:

I don't know if I ever want try again or not. I am just too upset over this.

k9krazee
03-13-2006, 02:10 PM
Oh no :( I'm sooooooo sorry! ((((((((Hugs))))))))) :(

lv4dogs
03-13-2006, 02:19 PM
I am so sorry. Do you know what type of mange it was?

There are different types of mange, some are contagious.
Sarcoptic mange is the same as scabies in humans and yes it is contagious & can be transmitted to humans from dogs & vice-versa.
Sarcoptic mange is something that any dog can get. Foxes are natorious for spreding mange, so say a dog runs through a field, rubs against a brush that a magey fox ran into & your dog can get it. A dog can even goe to a park where another dog had mange has been and can get it that way. Its a pain but something that can be treated and something that may not be avoided. It is not the pups fault & may not even be the forster moms fault.

MyLittleMutt
03-13-2006, 02:47 PM
The vet said it was demodex mange.

dab_20
03-13-2006, 03:54 PM
I'm so sorry! :( I can't imagine how hard this must be... (((((hugs)))))

.sarah
03-13-2006, 04:00 PM
Oh my goodness, that is so heartbreaking. I am so sorry. If all the pups had it it's likely that the mother had it when she was pregnant and passed it to the pups, which in most cases means it will be a problem for the dog's entire life (or so I'm told, someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Again I'm really sorry. :(

buttercup132
03-13-2006, 04:50 PM
Awww I dont see how your husband could do that after you have been looking for so long and just found the one that clicked. I guess maybe it wasnt ment to be...I'm so sorry for you.

Vette
03-13-2006, 05:02 PM
Oh yeesh. :(

*huggies*