PDA

View Full Version : Snoopy: getting spayed, or the cat-pill ??

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-13-2006, 11:14 AM
Snoopy went to the vet today for her second set of shots. We also talked about her having been in heat twice already.
Important here is that the vet will only operate her if she gets an echo of her heart first. Cats with birth-defects often deal with heart-problems too!

So, we are in a dilemma now. What possibility would you choose for her?

1) Give her the cat-pill for 1 or even 2 years. Then spay her, as she will be stronger then (maybe...!)
2) Go for an echo, and spay her next month.

I really don't know what to do. Her heart sounds okay now, and she gained some weight too. But there might be a hidden heart-problem. What, if we wait, if she is NOT stronger in 2 years??

Laura's Babies
03-13-2006, 11:19 AM
Have you figured the cost of the echo NOW verses 2 years of pills?

Something else to consider, if she does have a heart problem, that might pick it up and save her some problems that could be treated BEFORE they cause problems?

Just throwing things at you, you can ignore if you like....

catnapper
03-13-2006, 11:32 AM
Laura makes sense. I myself am not in a financial opiostion to run a myriad of tests, but I'd also like to know if the vet thinks they are warrented. MY vet usually says "welll you might consider this but I don't think its necessary." If your vet thinks its up to you, ask him what HE'D do if it was his cat.

Sonia59
03-13-2006, 12:18 PM
I did not follow all your posts, so may be I missed some when Snoopy was in heat, but was it very hard to manage when she was in heat? If she is not meowing and crying like crazy, may be it is better not to operate her and she would also not need pills (might be a stupid idea, I don't know what is good or not)? If there is no risk for her to have babies...

Lizzie
03-13-2006, 12:28 PM
There are so many questions hanging over Snoopy already regarding her present and future health that I would go for the echocardiogram and get some answers - bad or good. I'd just feel on firmer ground that way. You may get good news so that you can plan Snoopy's spay, or a few months of pill and then spay. Or you may find out that she has more problems than are apparent and that will help you and your vet plan everything in her best interests. She will need to be sedated for the test, but they should be able to do a very light gas anesthesia or sedative, as I am sure your vet has assured you.

If you do decide on the echocardiogram, I think everyone on PT will be holding their breath on the day she has it done.

catmandu
03-13-2006, 12:34 PM
Thats a tough choice but I would go for the test and the spay.
My Vet told me that a Cat in Heat is in a bit of pain,pyhysically and mentally.
The best of Luck with Snoopy.

Grace
03-13-2006, 01:41 PM
I agree with Lizzie. I would go for the ECHO now - even if you don't go ahead with surgery for a couple of years. I'd want to know exactly what is going on with her heart - if anything.

There may be nothing wrong; then surgery can be done anytime. At least you all would know how things stand.

kuhio98
03-13-2006, 02:02 PM
I did not follow all your posts, so may be I missed some when Snoopy was in heat, but was it very hard to manage when she was in heat? If she is not meowing and crying like crazy, may be it is better not to operate her and she would also not need pills (might be a stupid idea, I don't know what is good or not)? If there is no risk for her to have babies...
Sonia ~ Snoopy has many health issues. Her paw is not formed normally and her chest. http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=100135
I think they want to wait until she's bigger and know the extent of her chest/heart issues before they spay her.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-13-2006, 02:07 PM
Gee, I never knew there was a "cat pill."

The way I am, I want to know things whether they are good or bad. If it's bad, at least I know what I'm dealing with. I would have the echo done, then make a decision. But that's me. ;)

Donnaj4962
03-13-2006, 02:14 PM
What a difficult decision. I think that if it were me, I would go with the ECHO now and find out if there are any other potential problems that have not yet been detected. Then I would look at spaying once she is a little older and that hole in the chest is better closed. She is such a little sweetie! I am sure whatever you decide will be fine, and she will be well loved! And I agree, everyone on PT will be holding our breath and checking back on the day of the procedure... whichever you decide on! ;)

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-13-2006, 03:56 PM
Thanks! You all helped us a lot!! You are right Laura's mommy, IF there is a heart problem, it should be detected as soon as possible. I would NEVER forgive myself if we find out a few years later that her heart could have been treated :( . I think that the decision will be to have that echo anyway, and then decide on her being spayed already or not.
I have NO idea how much a heart echo costs here, but that is not an issue for me. Luckily we don't have financial problems at all :)

I will discuss the pro's and contra's with my hubby :)

lizbud
03-13-2006, 04:26 PM
I think you are right to go with the echo test and then decide on
the spay for her.You both will feel so much better for it.

kb2yjx
03-13-2006, 06:53 PM
I go with the majority, have the echo done to see what is going on. Then hopefully, Snoopy can get spayed. I would think each time Snoopy goes into heat, THAT would be extra stress for her little heart to deal with. I wonder how the cat pill works??? Does the cat still go into heat or not??

2nakedcats
03-14-2006, 12:18 AM
Hi there :)

If I were you, I would get an echocardiogram done, and I'd do it now. If the vet is suggesting an echo, he must hear a murmur or seen something on an ultrasound that is raising some question. It is better to get it done now, and if he finds something, to begin treating it now.

If she has cardio myopathy or similar, and he finds it sooner rather than later, he can put her on meds and you have less chances of finding your baby in a bad situation later down the road.

Echocardiograms are expensive, I know! I pay $285 per cat. But the most important thing to remember is that you make sure that it is a board certified cardiologist that reads the echo. Sometimes vets that aren't cardiologists may read the scan wrong, and give false positives/negatives. Also, the heart changes as cats age, so just getting one scan won't tell if you if your kitty has a great heart for the rest of her life. It is recommended to have her scanned once a year to once every other year after the initial scan.

Is there a reason why she isn't spayed? :confused: Just curious..

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-14-2006, 02:50 AM
Is there a reason why she isn't spayed? :confused: Just curious..

Hey, she is only about 5 months old !

Uniqueviking
03-14-2006, 03:10 AM
I strongly recommend you get her spayed instead of giving her the pill (Perlutex, I assume).

My Jade had surgery less than a week ago...sorta emergency as her mammary glands were swollen, and she's been on the pill.

The vet said "the uterus didn't look good at all" and she "was full of cysts".

Edit: Just saw that she might have heart problems. Beans (RB) had a congenital heart disease and she was on the pill as long as she lived because putting her under anesthesia was too risky. Beans didn't have any problems with being on the pill.

If Snoopy has a heart disease, I'd take the chance on the pill.

Pawsitive Thinking
03-14-2006, 04:36 AM
I think I'd got for the echo so I knew what the deal was with Snoopy's heart - you can then decide the best way forward from there. Hugs and kisses to your dear little cat