PDA

View Full Version : Do you believe..

BC_MoM
03-13-2006, 01:53 AM
That astronauts really went to the moon?

I don't think I do.. I was remembering a video tonight that I watched in Science in grade 6.. controversial to the idea that they did go. They had an 1 hour and a half of "proof" backing this up and I think I believe it.. Maybe I've been brainwashed, but I won't believe it until I see (do?) it.. but that won't happen because I'm NEVER leaving my planet.

Woah, that sounds like I'm an alien that has to move to a different planet or something.. xD

What do you think?

jackie
03-13-2006, 03:28 AM
Yes of course I believe they went to the moon.

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-13-2006, 04:20 AM
No doubt about that!! I will always remember how proud my granddad was; he stayed up all night to see it!! How can anybody possibly doubt this :confused: :confused: :confused:

Tralee
03-13-2006, 05:47 AM
What proof did they have to back up their point? I have no doubts that austrnauts walked on the moon, that is why there is a US flag on the moon.

Alysser
03-13-2006, 05:51 AM
They have a lot of proof. Jess, I saw this video. I just don't know what to believe but I think I'm leaning more to the side they did go to the moon. Here's a link to the "Great Moon Hoax". http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2001/ast23feb_2.htm

JenBKR
03-13-2006, 07:24 AM
Yes I totally believe it. I've seen the video claiming that it was all a hoax and I think it's a bunch of bunk, probably the same people who don't believe that the Holocaost really happened.......

Miss Z
03-13-2006, 08:10 AM
Yes, unless history has taught me wrong then there have been men on the moon;) .

Felix
03-13-2006, 09:15 AM
No doubt

caseysmom
03-13-2006, 09:30 AM
They are teaching you in school that the whole moon thing is a myth? I would have serious reservations about that school.

Karen
03-13-2006, 10:10 AM
Yes, it happened. I watched it on TV in 1969 - I was a little kid - 4 years old, but my two older siblings sat me down between them and said "Watch this. You're going to want to remember this, so pay attention." So I did (they NEVER made me watch anything on TV, and they were so serious about this) and I do remember.

caseysmom
03-13-2006, 10:11 AM
Karen, I remember sitting down and watching also, I was 8 and I still remember that moment.

ParNone
03-13-2006, 11:09 AM
Normally I lean towards believing Conspiracy Theories. The cynic in me I guess. But not this one. My Dad worked as an Engineer for NASA since its inception and my Sister has too for the last 20 years. Talking to them, who've been apart of the whole thing, I've no doubt it happened. Kinda kewl having a Dad, who was apart of such a historical event in our lives.

Par...

Ginger's Mom
03-13-2006, 11:38 AM
Yes, I believe it happened. Although I must admit I had an Aunt who believed the whole thing was happening on a sound stage somewhere.

Edwina's Secretary
03-13-2006, 12:01 PM
Wow..... I never knew of the existance of moon doubters. I wasn't in the US when the first moon landing occured and I remember going downtown to a store with televisions in the window to watch.

Could the number of people who would have to be involved in such a hoax REALLY keep a secret like that?

I am amazed they would teach something like this in school. Is it the class after Intelligent Design?

Jessika
03-13-2006, 01:07 PM
Wow, I mean, its all just so real to me. There is no doubt in my mind that we actually went. The technology is all there! Even if it was not there at the time they went, I do believe that in today's time and age the technology is DEFINITELY there.

kuhio98
03-13-2006, 01:20 PM
Yes, it happened. I watched it on TV in 1969 - I was a little kid - 4 years old, but my two older siblings sat me down between them and said "Watch this. You're going to want to remember this, so pay attention." So I did (they NEVER made me watch anything on TV, and they were so serious about this) and I do remember.
Yep, I believe. I was 9 when we landed on the moon. We were in the process of driving from Mississippi to Washington State because we were moving to Taiwan. We got to somewhere in Montana and my Mom and Dad said we would stay in a hotel there for a few days to watch the moon landing. I was fascinated. Many years later, I went to the Smithsonian because I wanted to seen the rocks they brought back. I was pretty disappointed that they looked like regular rocks. Don't know what I expected. Maybe made out of cheese? :p

Barbara
03-13-2006, 02:06 PM
It's not a thing of believing (which means knowing without a proof) but of knowing. I am a physicist and I followed all the stories at that time. Now it looks as if you could mix it up with any SF movie- but at that time it was obvious you couldn't.

Cataholic
03-13-2006, 02:51 PM
WOW, Like ES, I was unaware people questioned this sort of thing! I am a cynic, but, to think the moon walk was a hoax? I don't even have to check the www.snopes.com site! :p

Kfamr
03-13-2006, 03:09 PM
Same here Johanna... I never knew people questioned that. Weird!

CountryWolf07
03-13-2006, 03:11 PM
Yes. I believe. Cause' it happened. :)

Jessika
03-13-2006, 03:18 PM
Same here Johanna... I never knew people questioned that. Weird!
Actually a LOT of people believe it never really happened. I don't know if anyone here watches Family Guy but there is an episode where they make fun of it hehe

slick
03-13-2006, 03:39 PM
:confused: :confused: I'm sorry, but I just don't understand why anyone would question this.

momoffuzzyfaces
03-13-2006, 03:42 PM
Yep, sure do!!
I remember how all of us were glued to our tv sets every second the coverage was on.

It's becoming a sad sad world when people have to doubt everything. :rolleyes:

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-13-2006, 04:13 PM
probably the same people who don't believe that the Holocaost really happened.......

That was exactly my first thought too!! Come on, get real!!

Muddy4paws
03-13-2006, 04:20 PM
I think many people doubt it because they have seen the flag moving in the video of the landing and there is meant to be no wind on the moon so people look for a conspiricy

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2001/ast23feb_2.htm

this site explains some of them if you are interested :)

Lady's Human
03-13-2006, 04:22 PM
Yes, it happened. I have two problems with conspiracy theories. The first is a quote from Benjamin Franklin. "It is entirely possible for three men to keep a secret, providing two of them are dead". The second problem I have with conspiracy theories is that it gives government too much credit. I've been working for the government for almost 20 years now, and I would be hard pressed to believe that the same government that can lose a 72 ton M1 Abrams tank can organize a conpiracy on that level. (Or any level, for that matter)

dab_20
03-13-2006, 04:36 PM
Yes, it's proven.

CagneyDog
03-13-2006, 05:44 PM
Hmmmm. First of all, there is * a lot* of evidence against it, and most of the people I know are not sure on the topic.

I however believe they went there.

They are teaching you in school that the whole moon thing is a myth? I would have serious reservations about that school.

I doubt they told her "They never went to the moon, its BS" they probably gave both opinions and both sides of the story. That would be the right thing to do as people do have a right to form their own opinions.

Lady's Human
03-13-2006, 05:59 PM
Schools should be teaching facts, not conspiracy theories.

CagneyDog
03-13-2006, 06:14 PM
Schools should be teaching facts, not conspiracy theories.

They are two opinions. One opinion is that they went, the other, is that they did not. There is evidence towards both sides, what makes one side correct and one a conspiracy?

dab_20
03-13-2006, 06:20 PM
For what reason would they lie about going to the moon anyways?

Edwina's Secretary
03-13-2006, 06:51 PM
They are two opinions. One opinion is that they went, the other, is that they did not. There is evidence towards both sides, what makes one side correct and one a conspiracy?

There are two opinions as to whether the earth is round or not. I do not see "round" when I look out my window. One COULD say therefore...there is evidence that the earth is flat and merely evidence that it is round.

Just because some people do not WANT to believe a fact does not make the fact an opinion....nor does it mean schools should be teaching "two sides" and letting students chose which side they want to believe.

Dab_20...the reason that is postulated for the US making up the moon landing is the cold war....to lead the USSR into believing we had more advanced science than we did.

Felicia's Mom
03-13-2006, 07:12 PM
Yes, I believe man landed on the moon. :)

CagneyDog
03-13-2006, 07:13 PM
There are two opinions as to whether the earth is round or not. I do not see "round" when I look out my window. One COULD say therefore...there is evidence that the earth is flat and merely evidence that it is round.

Just because some people do not WANT to believe a fact does not make the fact an opinion....nor does it mean schools should be teaching "two sides" and letting students chose which side they want to believe.

Dab_20...the reason that is postulated for the US making up the moon landing is the cold war....to lead the USSR into believing we had more advanced science than we did.

There is proven evidence that the earth, is in fact round. However, it is not a proven theory that they were on the moon.

As I said before, I do believe they were infact there. However, there is evidence against...lots of it. For example the faulty pictures and where the stars were located in the picture, weird shadows in the pictures, there wasn't a time delay when they were communicating to earth [etc]

Lady's Human
03-13-2006, 07:14 PM
ES, I can't believe we are actually agreeing on something....

There is no way that the US Government could fake something like that and keep it secret for almost 40 years. It just couldn't happen.

There are people who believe JFK was assasinated by the CIA, there are people who believe the holocaust never happened, there are still people who believe the Earth is flat :rolleyes: . The last two are completely dismissed by facts. the first, well......LOL, again, no one on government could keep that secret for that long.

Just because someone can back up an opinion with something that sounds like a good fact doesn't mean it should be taught in school.

dab_20
03-13-2006, 07:16 PM
There is no way that the US Government could fake something like that and keep it secret for almost 40 years. It just couldn't happen.

There are people who believe JFK was assasinated by the CIA, there are people who believe the holocaust never happened, there are still people who believe the Earth is flat :rolleyes: . The last two are completely dismissed by facts. the first, well......LOL, again, no one on government could keep that secret for that long.

I agree.

Lady's Human
03-13-2006, 07:17 PM
As to the time delay, the distance between the earth and moon is 384,400 Km on average. Light travels at 300,000 Km/Sec. There really wouldn't have been any noticeable time delay.

CagneyDog
03-13-2006, 07:24 PM
As to the time delay, the distance between the earth and moon is 384,400 Km on average. Light travels at 300,000 Km/Sec. There really wouldn't have been any noticeable time delay.

Of course there would.
There is a time delays talking to people in far away countries.
There are -many- more things against it. The camera, and the film not frying/freezing. They were good quality pictures considering the equipment that would of been taken. The crosshairs on the photos, Shadows were cast in the complete opposite direction of where they were supposed to.

Just because someone can back up an opinion with something that sounds like a good fact doesn't mean it should be taught in school
When you think about it, the opinion [or fact, as you are saying] that they were on the moon is nothing more than an opinion backed up with facts as well.

Lady's Human
03-13-2006, 07:36 PM
I've never had a time delay while talking to people in other countries, and that includes talking 10-12000 miles via satellite.

At 300,000 Km/ sec (the speed of light, which is the speed radio communications travel in a vaccum) the time lag between earth and the moon at the average orbital distance would be 1.3 seconds. that's not much of a lag at all.

The camera, being designed for the environment is was being used in would not fry or freeze, nor would the film. They were using Hasselblad cameras, which were top of the line equipment. The Video footage that was sent back was Very grainy.

Here's a site that debunks the photo anomalies:

http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/tv/iangoddard/moon01.htm

Alysser
03-13-2006, 07:37 PM
There are people who believe JFK was assasinated by the CIA, there are people who believe the holocaust never happened, there are still people who believe the Earth is flat :rolleyes: .
:eek: REALLY? That's nuts.

Lady's Human
03-13-2006, 07:41 PM
Beliefs (intangibles) which cannot be backed up by concrete evidence are just that, beliefs.

There is far too much concrete evidence that the moon landings happened, to include the astronauts that went on the missions, the material brought back, the thousands of personnel involved in the project, the spacecraft themselves, etc.

CagneyDog
03-13-2006, 07:44 PM
Beliefs (intangibles) which cannot be backed up by concrete evidence are just that, beliefs.

There is far too much concrete evidence that the moon landings happened, to include the astronauts that went on the missions, the material brought back, the thousands of personnel involved in the project, the spacecraft themselves, etc.

Correct, which could all be fake. As in, they are all in on the fake story.

I've talked to people via Sattelite phone in Christmas Island and there was a time delay.
Geesh, there's even a time delay on news casts.

Lady's Human
03-13-2006, 07:46 PM
The time delay on news casts is put in by the networks to avoid any oopsies.

One other thing I forgot........there were 20,000 + sailors involved in recovering the apollo craft. If there was a secret to be kept, trust me, it would have been out by now.

CagneyDog
03-13-2006, 07:47 PM
The time delay on news casts is put in by the networks to avoid any oopsies.

One other thing I forgot........there were 20,000 + sailors involved in recovering the apollo craft. If there was a secret to be kept, trust me, it would have been out by now.

That's an opinion.

What do you mean "oopsies" The time delay is very remote just a few seconds. Doesn't sound like my of a precaution to me.

Karen
03-13-2006, 07:53 PM
That's an opinion.

What do you mean "oopsies" The time delay is very remote just a few seconds. Doesn't sound like my of a precaution to me.

In newscasts and most "live broadcasts, there's usually a 7-second delay, so they can delete profanity, or bleep it out anyway.

Lady's Human
03-13-2006, 07:59 PM
The time delay put in by the networks is 3-5 seconds, which is plenty of time to catch any misspoken words or anything that the mike picks up from someone other than the reporter.

The maximum time delay possible with terrestrial communications would be you calling someone standing next to you with a phone cable stretched around the globe (40076 KM), which would give you a .13 sec lag. With a satellite phone, again assuming maximum distance(ground to geosynch orbit to ground, with 20000 km on ground in between), would be .3 sec. Almost noticeable, but by experience your brain tends to amplify the lag because you aren't used to hearing it.

cyber-sibes
03-13-2006, 07:59 PM
LOL! I can't believe anyone is seriously having this conversation! Thanks for the laugh, anyway. :rolleyes: (I mean this in good humor, nobody get offended, ok?)

".....to the Moon, Alice!"

AbbyMom
03-13-2006, 08:46 PM
My Dad worked as an Engineer for NASA since its inception and my Sister has too for the last 20 years. Talking to them, who've been apart of the whole thing, I've no doubt it happened. Kinda kewl having a Dad, who was apart of such a historical event in our lives.

My dad worked for Rockwell for the space program for 20 years. I won't mention this thread to him. It would break his heart to know that all that work he did on the lunar excursion module was believed to be a part of a multi-billion-dollar hoax.

Are we even having this conversation?

Lady's Human
03-13-2006, 08:59 PM
The truly disturbing part is that this whole thread was started by something a teacher said in a classroom. :rolleyes: :mad:

CagneyDog
03-13-2006, 09:03 PM
The truly disturbing part is that this whole thread was started by something a teacher said in a classroom. :rolleyes: :mad:

It's not "a" teacher. I saw a video on this a few years ago, as have other friends of mine that go to different schools. They aren't teaching this for no reason.

Lady's Human
03-13-2006, 09:06 PM
They're showing it because they are truly ignorant.

I think I know the vid you are referring to, and it has NO place in a school. If I was a parent and knew the vid was being used inthe classroom I'd work my tail off to get the teacher to remove it from the cirriculum or get the teacher fired.

popcornbird
03-13-2006, 09:07 PM
I have heard of people doubting that man went on the moon, was shocked, but yes...people who question this do exist. I totally believe man has been on the moon though.

Come to think of it...

why don't all of us PT'ers go to the moon together to check it out? Now won't that be fun? :p:D

Lady's Human
03-13-2006, 09:08 PM
I'm game, PCB, now all we need is a PT Billionaire or three to fund the trip! :D

popcornbird
03-13-2006, 09:09 PM
I'm game, PCB, now all we need is a PT Billionaire or three to fund the trip! :D

:D

Anyone know of a billionaire on PT? He he he!

gini
03-13-2006, 09:43 PM
I think, that if this is something you are truly questioning, you do this.

Take two pieces of paper. On one put a heading PROOF THAT WE WENT TO THE MOON. Then write down every possible fact that is available to all of us that proves that we did indeed go to the moon.

One the second sheet of paper write; PROOF THAT WE DID NOT GO TO THE MOON. And then do the same as the first - write down each scrap of information that proves we did not go to the moon.

Then intelligently - compare the two.

Perhaps you could do this with the Mars Rovers as well.................

Barbara
03-14-2006, 03:37 AM
I am really really shocked by this thread. 6 out of 76 people right now think the fact that man has been to the moon is questionable. That is about 8 percent, a very high percentage.

I better recommend that you go into philosophy a little closer. The question is: Can you only know about facts you experienced yourself?

If you think that is true (which is a completely possible view of things) you better doubt about a lot of things: like the Eiffel tower- do you believe it exists even when you are not in Paris to see it?

Your cat or dog- when it goes under the bed is it still there?

The good old question of Bishop Berkeley: if a tree falls in a forest and there is nobody there to hear it does it make a noise?

Most of us would say yes, it makes a noise. And if we do agree on that we will have to agree about the moon. There is scientific evidence, even if it is not the experience of you personally.

I can understand that in this world where evidence can be manipulated easy technically you want to know more before you agree with something. But then: go on! Read the books, visit the websites, go to the libraries, get as much information as you can and THEN decide.

Killearn Kitties
03-14-2006, 04:42 AM
I've spent so much time in this thread that I feel compelled to comment. I have heard the conspiracy theories about the moon before. What truly stuns me is the discovery that some schools have devoted time to this, when they could have been teaching genuine physics, something that might fire the imagination and ultimately make all our lives better.

Solipsism will be a degree subject next. Wait a minute, perhaps it already is! :eek:

Barbara
03-14-2006, 05:14 AM
Solipsism will be a degree subject next. Wait a minute, perhaps it already is! :eek:

Of course! There is only me and I am a brain in a nutrient solution with a lot of fantasy :D

Sorry - I can see this thread either in the doghouse or in the doghouse in the bar ;)

Killearn Kitties
03-14-2006, 05:22 AM
Sorry - I can see this thread either in the doghouse or in the doghouse in the bar ;)
Definitely in the bar! Always the best place to discuss philosophy, don't you think?

Barbara
03-14-2006, 05:27 AM
Definitely in the bar! Always the best place to discuss philosophy, don't you think?

Wait until the serious people in the West wake up and see us fooling around here :p

Killearn Kitties
03-14-2006, 05:30 AM
Wait until the serious people in the West wake up and see us fooling around here :p
It will be detention for us, Barbara!

Edwina's Secretary
03-14-2006, 10:42 AM
and just think....there are people who find it more believable that the government spent millions on a hoax moon landing....and somehow convinced the thousands of people (NASA employees, actors, set directors, etc) involved in the hoax to past up the opportunity to be on the cover of People magazine with the TRUE story of the moon landing!

K9soul
03-14-2006, 10:55 AM
I didn't read through the whole thread so I don't know if this has been posted, but it goes through the faked moon landing theory's "proof" and logically explains all the things questioned.

http://pirlwww.lpl.arizona.edu/~jscotti/NOT_faked/

cmayer31
03-14-2006, 01:24 PM
To start, one thing I've learned in life is this:

Everyone has an opinion and it is extremely difficult for people to admit that their opinion is wrong, and some people straight refuse to look at facts if it weakens their case.

I personally believe that the US has indeed landed on the moon. I agree there are reasons that the US could have lied about the landing. For example, 1. To prove to the Soviets and United States general public that the US had better technology and landed the first person on the moon. This raised morale for the US, and annoyed the Soviet leaders and public. 2. To counter the negative affects that the loss of life throughout the space program caused. It would be in the government’s best interest to prove that the money, time, and life lost were for something. 3. Ask someone in favor of the conspiracy...the list goes on.

Now a few reasons that I do believe the lunar landing happened. The most important factor for me is the study of soil / rocks recovered from the moon. They are very distinct and the sheer amount and consistent molecular provided out weigh the possibility of collecting similar features from meteorites and other space particles that hit earth. Next is the fact that we did have the technology and the resources to accomplish such a mission. It's human nature to want to explore and expand. The moon is out there taunting us with the classis so close, yet so far away mentality. It is every bit believable that we could, and did go to the moon. Why fake it when you can do it? Some people will do anything for money. I guarantee that if this was faked in a sound studio, that some clerk or boom boy would have come public with pictures of the set, or scripts, or some indisputable evidence that this was filmed and sold out to the press.

Most of the facts I will not go in to, but can say that the ideas presented to disprove the lunar landing are negated by negated by science. Most people who claim the moon landings never happened have no formal education in any of the subject matters presented. In looking at numerous sites, when the conspiracy ideas are presented to experts in these studies, there are very legitimate explanations to the anomalies that are used to disprove the landing.

I'll step off my soap box now, but in doing so will say "To each, their own."
:)