PDA

View Full Version : Our Pets are our Kids!

Laura's Babies
03-12-2006, 11:07 AM
I found this and thought I would share it with PT!

I think some people are in need of an attitude adjustment concerning our companion animals, particularly cats and dogs. Scientific studies have shown that these animals function on the intellectual and emotional level of a 3 year-old child, yet people do things to them that they would never consider doing to their small children.

For example, good parents would never:
Let their child wander the streets unattended with no identification.

Leave their child alone in the backyard, day and night.
Abandon their child in a strange neighborhood, hoping that some kind person would take the child in and care for it.

Allow their child to promiscuously have sex with whomever passes by and become pregnant.

Fail to teach their child proper manners.

Neglect to provide their child proper medical care.

Yet many people think it's perfectly fine to do all of these things to their pet dogs and cats. If these creatures are on the same emotional and intellectual level of a 3 year-old human child, then adopting a pet is a much more serious step than people realize. You are actually becoming the pet's parent and the pet is not something to be tossed aside like a stuffed toy if the family tires of theresponsibility.

Our pets want and deserve to be a part of our family circles. And for those who feel that the world cannot exist without Fifi or Tom's offspring, consider this: For every person born, 15 dogs and 45 cats are also born. So there is no danger we will be in short supply if they spay or neuter their pet. Spaying or neutering is your duty and obligation and there are many low-cost clinics to assist you. Give the gift of life, adopt a homeless cat or dog and learn and practice responsible pet ownership. You will get so much more than you give.

-TERRI KNIGHT