PDA

View Full Version : Shimmer

dog_pug123
03-11-2006, 06:23 PM
I never thought I'd be owning a goat. I had never really seen one until today at the petting zoo. The goat for free. I begged my parents to get him, how there was never free goats :p ;) and finally after some long conversations at home and hours at home talking, we went back to the petting zoo. Here came the goat, home in one of our old crates we had had for one of our old big dogs. We have him in the backyard, that will be his home from now on. Alli doesn't enjoy having him around, I guess she thinks hes a monster :rolleyes:.

A picture of him is below, it was at the petting zoo... I know, I don't look too thrilled :rolleyes: The goat doesn't like cameras much more than I do either :p

I named him...

http://publish.ourworld.cs.com/onlyhope62786/images/shimmer12.gif

Alysser
03-11-2006, 06:51 PM
CONGRATS! He's adorable! :D

Misty_Pearl
03-11-2006, 06:58 PM
He's beautiful. I love goats and have always wanted one but alas I live in town. One day though....

CathyBogart
03-11-2006, 06:58 PM
Congrats! My only question is...if you had never seen one before today...how much do you know about their care??

flamepony12
03-12-2006, 10:49 AM
Congrats! My only question is...if you had never seen one before today...how much do you know about their care??

Ditto. O.O

gemini9961
03-12-2006, 12:22 PM
A free goat at a petting zoo?? Sounds odd. And then to have never seen one and then bring the goat home, like mentioned before, what do you know about their care?

k9krazee
03-12-2006, 02:03 PM
:eek: He's gorgeous!

:confused: ...I have to ditto what the last three have said

Suki Wingy
03-12-2006, 04:32 PM
Awww! I have alway wanted a goat. my mom says if we move to where goats are legal we will get one.

bckrazy
03-12-2006, 07:15 PM
He's very cute! :)

Goats can be very expensive and destructive though. My Aunt & Uncle have 2 Goats, they typically crave the company of another Goat and they'll often eat or chew on anything/everything in sight!

dog_pug123
03-12-2006, 09:25 PM
I have read all about them on websites, and my mom had a goat book so we read that. Along with some dictonaries and in a pet dictonary I had. These two I know I looked at:
http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/vetext/INF-GO.html
http://www.kindplanet.org/goatcare.html
Is there anything else I should know?

The reason he was free was because the Petting Zoo was closing down. The other animals had already been found a home, the little goat was the only one who didn't have a home. My parents and I went home, and after a long talk we researched on the internet. And we agreed to own a goat. Not sure about the home care though? Should he be living in the backyard? Or in a kennel? We have lots of grain, and he loves fruit and dandilions, he also loves nuts. We have lots of large rocks in our backyard that he can climb on. We have a wood fence... don't know if he will chew through it? Is there anyway to keep him from chewing through it, if he will? I trimmed his hoofs this morning, the book said how to. Our old dog's crate is now his! It looks like hes really comfy in it, we have the crate like a dog house now. My dad built onto it yesterday, he put wood slates all over it so the rain wouldn't get into it, and we put the crate in this cave we have in the backyard, across from the pond. Is this all good for a goat?

Thanks everyone :D

He's very cute!

Goats can be very expensive and destructive though. My Aunt & Uncle have 2 Goats, they typically crave the company of another Goat and they'll often eat or chew on anything/everything in sight!

He hasn't seemed very destructive??? Yet(bits lip)?

Awww! I have alway wanted a goat. my mom says if we move to where goats are legal we will get one.

They're illegal in your area :confused:

He's gorgeous!

...I have to ditto what the last three have said

I've never heard someone say a goat is gorgeous, but I've got to ditto, he is cute, and very funny! :D

flamepony12
03-12-2006, 11:10 PM
Is he in some sort of safe, fenced area in your backyard? If not, I'd start planning where I wanted to build a secure corral for him. It's one of the many responsibilities of owning a goat.

CathyBogart
03-13-2006, 03:13 AM
I want to add that I LOVE goats, and he's a cutie!!!

buttercup132
03-13-2006, 06:57 AM
Wow he's so cute! I love his colours.