PDA

View Full Version : just wondering

Stenograsaurus
12-17-2001, 12:00 PM
My dog got loose the other day. My daughter opened the door and he ran. My husband ran after him. He was already outside. I ran to the closet and grabbed the treats and went outside. When he finally came to me, I gave him a treat. My husband told me that now Dakota thinks he'll get a treat if he runs away. I told him that I want him to come to me when he's loose and if he thinks he'll get food, he's going to come to me. What is everyone's opinion on this one? I'm taking a poll here to see.

aly
12-17-2001, 12:28 PM
You're absolutely right! The worst thing you could do if a dog runs away is to scold him when you finally catch him. This will just show him going back to you is punishment. Therefore he'll just keep running! But if you make coming back to you a positive experience, most dogs will be a LOT more willing to come back.

If you ever take your dog to an off leash park (or even the backyard) be sure to call your dog to you a few times before it is time to leave. Because calling the dog to you then going straight inside is viewed as a negative thing by a lot of dogs. So if they want to stay out longer, they just won't come when you call them.

jackiesdaisy1935
12-17-2001, 12:36 PM
I agree with you, if a dog runs outside and out the door I would do anything I thought would bring him or her back, treats or whatever. The safety of the dog is more important right then, rather than the protocol of whether to give a treat or not.
I would do whatever it took to get my dog back. We have a busy street and if ours went out the front door they could run out in traffic and as I said I would do anything to get them back.
Jackie

jennifert
12-17-2001, 12:51 PM
I completely agree with Aly. If you scold him when he comes back, he thinks he is getting scolded for coming to you. It feels weird and it's hard sometimes not to be upset or angry. Especially if there are cars or other dangers around. Duncan is usually very good about staying close by off leash or if he "escapes" out the front door. If he does start to wander, I've found that walking away, down the sidewalk or towards the car and saying "This way" works with him. He doesn't like me to be out of his sight or if he thinks I'm leaving, he always wants to go with me so walking the other direction usually works whereas standing at the front door calling him doesn't.

aly
12-17-2001, 01:13 PM
I was taught this in a shelter seminar about catching stray dogs. If all else fails, lay on your back, flail your arms and legs, and yell! Most dogs curiousity will peak and come see what the commotion is. A dog behaviorist demonstrated in an obedience class and EVERY single dog stopped what they were doing and stared at her, half of them strained on their leashes to get to her.

Another trick is to get on the ground and pretend to be looking at something in the grass. Also running the opposite direction (I know it goes against all instincts but it works!).

This sounds silly but it works better than that 'Chase me all you want but you can't catch me' game.

Hehe, what Jennifer said reminded me of when Harley used to get out. It was really funny when I would finally catch him because I would be so mad and upset but would force myself to say "Good boy, YES! Thatta boy!". I just bet it would be a funny sight if someone saw me with a frown on my face, tears running down my eyes, no shoes on in freezing cold praising my dog and trying to act happy. Hehe.

[ December 17, 2001: Message edited by: aly ]

Cinder & Smoke
12-17-2001, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by aly:
<STRONG>... If all else fails, lay on your back, flail your arms and legs, and yell! Most dogs curiousity will peak and come see what the commotion is...</STRONG>

Using this technique, you should be able to collect, at the very minimum:

...Two guys in White Coats carrying a straight jacket;

...A dozen or so of your closest friends and neighbors;

...And, possibly, the sought-after Dawg...

Smokey sez: I'm gonna suggest this to Dad tanite when Cinners is a little *slow* comin back frum the midnite 'outie'.

:rolleyes: :D

sammi
12-17-2001, 02:57 PM
Sitting on the curb and crying loudly helps too! :rolleyes:

slleipnir
12-17-2001, 03:24 PM
From personal expericence, punishing a dog when it runs away and comes back ISNT good, it made my dog not want to come back, so i just tell her to come in a friendly, doggie kinda way and smooch or wistle. works for me. or i just walk over to my neighbors and she runs over wanting in to play with her little doggie friend..lol

Angels3
12-17-2001, 05:35 PM
I was told by an animal behaviourist that dogs understand that their owner is responding to the LAST thing it did.
So if a dog runs out the door & away...and NEXT you call it back & it comes obediently...if you then punish it, it thinks it's getting punished for coming to you. Not for running away! And you don't want a dog to learn it will get punished for coming when its called.
I loved Aly's idea of lying on the ground & screaming so the dog will come back out of curiosity!
A dog trainer on a TV program gave some advice close to this. He was talking about the problem of playing in the park with a puppy or young dog who hadn't yet learned to come every time its owner called 'Come'.
The trainer said that when the dog ran off ignoring the owner's 'Come!', the owner shouldn't chase after it. He said the dog would think it was a game & run faster.
He said the owner should hide behind a tree & perhaps, too, make a high-pitched crying sound. The dog's curiosity would lead it back to find its owner.
When we heard this advice, we imagined some poor dog-owning man being dragged off by the police because his hiding behind a tree was mistaken for some sort of perverted behaviour.
Marie
:)

yorkster
12-17-2001, 05:37 PM
You are correct! Even my dog trainer told me to do that, especially WHILE trying to train your dog to come when called.

Dixieland Dancer
12-18-2001, 09:59 AM
Teaching the COME command can save your dog's life and is always one of the first things (besides the potty training issues) I teach my dogs.

Start with a long line about 15 to 20 feet. Inside the house using about 10 feet of the long line, Call the dogs name and when he looks at you say "COME" in a excited or happy tone. When the dog comes to you reward it with a small treat or piece of kibble and make a big fuss. Keep repeating this until the dog consistently comes to you. Make sure you are reinforcing the treat with verbal praise. You can show the dog the treat at first but once the dog understands what you want, then you want to have the treat with you but where the dog can't see it. Immediately when the dog comes it is rewarded even though it can't see the treat.

Once you have this down add a couple of distractions. A favorite toy, someone else in the room, etc. When the dog consistently comes to you with distractions (still rewarding with treats or kibble that is unseen) move the training process outside.

Lengthen the line up to 15 and then 20 feet following the same procedure as above. Come outside without distractions and then come outside with distractions.

When this is all complete you should have a dog that comes to you under any circumstance.

purrley
12-18-2001, 10:04 AM
WOW - I needed this advice - my chi thinks its a game to run from me - sometimes she'll come when I call her - other times she won't. Hey - here's a question - do dogs have naughty days and good days? Sometimes my little Tess is so good, other days she seems like she just wants to test me.

jennifert
12-18-2001, 10:14 AM
Dixie, That's great advice about how to teach a dog the come command but I have learned that you have to at least teach them a basic Stay command first or they will never let you walk away from them!! They'll jsut follow right along behind you as you try to walk away!!! ;)

C.C.'s Mom
12-18-2001, 11:16 AM
That's exactly how we had to teach our puppy, and we go to one of the best dog schools in Germany. We first had our dog to learn the sit and down command before going to the come command. It works great with a leash. I also use the leash out in the forrest although there I won't keep the 10 meter leash in my hands. But when I call her there and she won't come, I can quickly grap the leash and pull to get her attention.

Dixieland Dancer
12-18-2001, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by jennifert:
<STRONG>Dixie, That's great advice about how to teach a dog the come command but I have learned that you have to at least teach them a basic Stay command first or they will never let you walk away from them!! They'll jsut follow right along behind you as you try to walk away!!! ;)</STRONG>

Puppies are very curious by nature and they want to explore. You do not need to put them on a stay command. What you want is to have them on the lead and let them explore. This is not a recall where you actually walk away from the dog and then call them to you. It is a COME command where the dog is away from you and you want it to come.

It may take the pup a few minutes to explore or something but eventually they will. You can be standing, kneeling, sitting, or washing the dishes for that matter. You can be watching the pup or just nonchalantly going about your business and then decide I want the pup to come to me. They can be anywhere as long as they are a distance from you. In front, on the side, behind, it doesn't matter. All you are trying to do at this point is get the dogs attention and to come when called everytime you call them. Remember you are the giver of all goods and when the dog comes it is rewarded.

In the house the lead is not really necessary as much as outside but it helps to have the dog use to it so they understand OKAY this is what we were doing before so if she does this and I do that, then I get a reward. If it makes her happy I'll do it just so I can get my reward!!!!

Doing the walk away technique can be worked on later in more formal training sessions.

I usually work with the sit and down at an early age too but this is more of a fun thing. I do come as a necessity to prevent my dogs from getting hurt.

Hope this added info helps!

jennifert
12-18-2001, 01:19 PM
Dixie, You're right, of course but I haven't dealt with a true "puppy" is a long time!! My Duncan is ~a yr old and very large! I've had him for 6 months. I CANNOT walk away from him unless he is preoccupied with food. He is always in the same room with me in the house and I have developed a strange way of walking to avoid him or to get him to move. (Those of you with large dogs and small rooms will know EXACTLY what I mean!) It's funny and I don't even think about it anymore! When outside off lead, he is always aware of where I am and what I'm doing. UNLESS (and this is where everyone here can help w/ advice) there is a cat or a squirrel! Believe it or not, he will come when called from another dog but once that cat/squirrel is spotted and starts running, Duncan is GONE!! He'll come back all happy after the "prey" has found a tree and he's barked at it for a minute or two to make sure it knows not to come back down... :D