PDA

View Full Version : Nebo's disappearing act

wolf_Q
03-11-2006, 12:38 AM
This is just a story, I don't have time for pics, sorry. ;) It may not be that interesting unless you heard it in person either, plus I'm horrible at writing. :o

My mom came home from work today an hour or so before I got home. She let the dogs outside to go potty. A little while later she let them back inside. She was distracted walking around the house while talking on the phone. When she got off the phone, she noticed that Reggie and Sydney were around, but she couldn't find Nebo. So she looked all over the house (our house is medium sized, but its 4 levels so there's a lot of rooms/places he could be) and couldn't find him anywhere. So she went outside and looked all over the yard, even under the deck...no Nebo.

She came back in the house and checked the doors; they were all shut, but not locked. Could one of the doors have not been closed all the way? She was pretty panicked at this point, so she got in the car and drove around the block a few times looking and calling for him, worried that he may have gotten through the front door. And as most huskies, he'd be off running to his hearts content if he got out. She couldn't find him, so she came back to check the house again. Then she tried ringing the doorbell (that always make the dogs come running!) with no sign of him....she was yelling "Cheese! and Treats!" hoping maybe he'd hear that, she even tried turning on the can opener which always gets his attention...no Nebo.

She said she was pretty much shaking, praying, and in tears at this point, she got in the car and drove around again looking for him. With no sign of him again, she came back home, about to call me at work and tell me the bad news. She decided to take one last check around the house first. She looked in the one room she hadn't previously checked, the unfinished bathroom. She didn't check it before because nobody goes in there and the door is always closed. But guess who was inside? NEBO! He was just standing there by the door wondering what took her so long to let him out! :p Apparently she had walked in there while talking on the phone, he had followed her without her noticing (he's surprisingly sneaky for a 60 lb dog ;) ) and she had shut the door when she left.

Phew! I'm just glad he was not really lost; I couldn’t live without my Nebo boy! I'm happy to know my mom cares about him that much too. :) I do enjoy how quiet he is, and I complain about how much Reggie and Sydney bark....but sheesh, that would have been a good time to make a little noise Nebo!

CountryWolf07
03-11-2006, 12:58 AM
Oh my gosh! That has happened to Rosie once, but she did let us know where she was.. She's a loud little girl.

Cinder & Smoke
03-11-2006, 12:58 AM
She said she was pretty much shaking, praying, and in tears at this point ...

Phew! I'm just glad he was not really lost ...

I'm happy to know my mom cares about him that much, too. :)

WOW ...
:eek: *I* was worried before I got to the end!

You'd better give Mom a BIG {{{HUG}}} or two for being so worried about him!

And you write a FINE Story ... I was on the edge of my chair reading it!!

/s/ Phred

chocolatepuppy
03-11-2006, 04:49 AM
Whew! What a scare your mom had! Silly Nebo, you should have barked! My Mandy is the same way though, she would have never made a peep, just waited! :rolleyes: Thank goodness Nebo is safe and sound! I'd say your mom deserves an extra hug! :D

Daisy and Delilah
03-11-2006, 05:39 AM
OMG Amy!! I almost lost it before I got to the end too! Nebo, you silly goosey loosey. I can imagine how cute you were when Grandma found you, all gorgeous and standing there with a big smile on your face. Thank goodness you didn't get out the door sweetie and take off to parts unknown :D

Ginger's Mom
03-11-2006, 05:56 AM
Oh wow, that was scary. Yes Nebo, you need to learn to speak up when you are shut in a room, okay. I, too, can just picture what he looked like when your Mom opened the door and found him. I am so glad he is home and safe.

anna_66
03-11-2006, 07:00 AM
Whew! I'm glad to hear that story has a happy ending...I was about ready to panic too!
Sooo glad to hear that he was not missing and was just doing a "disappearing act":D Nebo, boy...make some noise:D

You know he's not the only ones who's gotten locked in another room. Our RB Keisha did once too in that back bedroom. My clothes are in that room and I hadn't shut the door so when I went to bed I closed it. Angus had woken me up to go out so (around 5am) & I got up groggy let him out and then back in. I went back to bed and when I got up again I wanted to let them both out and couldn't find Keisha. I thought maybe she had snuck out with Angus and somehow gotten out of the fence, I was scared to death. I went back in the house and heard a little cry...my little girl was locked in the bedroom all night :o Goofy dogs:p

Cincy'sMom
03-11-2006, 07:06 AM
Nebo!! What sneaky boy you are to scare your humans that way!!
Glad everything turned out alright!

Poor Cincy has been locked in a bedroom, inthebasement, and on the back porch. Less then in hour in each case, but she is so quiet (unless she wants food), she just stands and stares at a door she wants opened. Each time, I thought she went ahead of me, she was behind me and the door got shut.

Sadie almost got shut out on the porch once, but becuase I have missed Cincy, I've gotten better at checking!!

Alysser
03-11-2006, 07:06 AM
YOU SCARED ME! I thought Nebo was lost! What a silly boy you are Nebo. Sassy never makes noises when that happens either. :p

Pam
03-11-2006, 07:14 AM
Nebo I think you must have a little feline in you! :p My Trevor has gotten himself locked in rooms and closets many times in his 13 years. :rolleyes: Sometimes he is very quiet but usually he scratches on the door meowing his head off.

I am so glad your mom was able to find Nebo before she called you Amy. I can imagine her panic and then even thinking about how to tell you. I know that sinking feeling you can get when you can't find a missing pet. You can almost feel the gray hairs starting to grow in! I am soooo glad all is well at your home. By the way, what a neat way to summon the crew - go outside and ring the doorbell. I would have never thought of that. ;) :cool:

ChrisH
03-11-2006, 09:14 AM
What a scare!! So glad he hadn't gone missing, silly boy not barking ... just had a thought ....
I just began teaching Bob 'speak' so I can stop him barking, yes, I know that may sound weird but he has to know what to do, so as to know what not to do, if you follow me. Anyhow, it would come in handy in any situation where a dog is locked in, just say 'speak' and follow the sound! :D

Chilli
03-11-2006, 09:26 AM
That would have been horrible news, if your mum had called and said that she couldn't find him!
Nebo, you sneaky boy!!
I'm glad that Melani always scratches at a door if she knows one of the dogs are in there! :D

cyber-sibes
03-11-2006, 10:15 AM
Wow, I can imagine how panicked your mom felt, whew! :rolleyes: Nebo, humans aren't psychic...BARK!

lute
03-11-2006, 10:54 AM
i'm glad you found him! :D

CathyBogart
03-11-2006, 11:46 AM
Time to attach a bell to his collar? ^_^