PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice

tuxluvr
04-21-2002, 03:45 PM
I've been thinking about a complete redecoration of our main living area inthe house, including possibly repainting, new carpet, new furniture...etc...

My concern is Ritzy. I've read that cats have very sensitive noses...and what should I do about paint fumes, wet paint, smell of new carpet, etc etc....She has pretty much free reign in the house now, and this room is not situated in a way to close it off from the rest of the house.

Are paint fumes dangerous for kitties? We would obviously have everything ventilated properly, but this is something I haven't had to deal with in the past. Ritzy is an "indoor only" kitty.

Thanks in advance for your advice
Ritzys mom

4 feline house
04-21-2002, 03:52 PM
As long is there is proper ventilation for you, the kitty will be okay, too.

You will probably find, what with all the commotion going on, she will be hiding under a bed or in a closet, anyway.

I've been talking to the landlord. Looks like we're going to have an overhaul, too, and I'm trying to convince him to let me do everything but the carpet, because I'm afraid of what will happen with workers trooping in and out all day while I'm at work. I guess on the day of the carpet I'll board them at the vet's.

tuxluvr
04-21-2002, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by 4 feline house

You will probably find, what with all the commotion going on, she will be hiding under a bed or in a closet, anyway.

[/B]

LOL...too true - maybe if we just leave the "evil hoover" out in the room, she'll stay away on her own. :rolleyes:

The good thing is that we can maintain control since we own the home and will likely be doing most of the work ourselves (except maybe the carpeting)...

I remember when she was still a kitten we replaced a french door and she sat just a foot shy of the big opening and wouldn't go out. Now that she is older she is a bit of a "door dasher" although she's never been outdoors (well, there was that one day when she escaped my grasp and got under the deck and in the mud for an hour:eek: )

Nomilynn
04-21-2002, 07:07 PM
This isn't really advice, but your question made me think of funny story.. I was repainting my entire house, and I had to put an oil based primer on all the doors. It stunk to high heaven! We kept all the windows open and had fans going, but it still was nasty. Anyway, we had been able to keep Bassett away from it all (I didn't have Tilly at the time) until I was working on my bedroom. She snuck in somehow. She immediatly went up to the door and took a whif. Then her eyes got all glazed over and she fell on her side in a plopping fashion. Then she stood up, and sniffed again! After than she wobbled and staggered across the room, and fell over again with her paws blissfully in the air. I had never seen a drugsniffing addict cat, but after that we got her into a 12 step program as soon as possible, and avoid bringing oil based products into the house in support of her recovery :D :D

Hahaha..!! :D :D

rg_girlca
04-21-2002, 09:54 PM
When we had renovations down in our place i was fortunate enough to have a friend of mine watch my kitties for a few days while it was being done. Is it at all possible for you to do this? A friend or a relative.
I would like to pose a question in regards to having renovations down in your home. Like moving furniture around and totally changing the outlook of a room. Does anyone else's cat seem to appear upset over this as mine does? When we had this done Katie just went around the house meowing her little heart out and she does this whenever we make a change in a room. Are cats really set in their ways that they don't like changes?? It didn't seem to bother my other cat C-Fer (deceased) . He would just walk around the room and then find a new comfortable spot to lie down.

sasvermont
04-21-2002, 10:11 PM
My cats could care less about renovations etc. I have had floors sanded, walls painted and lights installed and all the workers fell in love with the cats. They did keep them in a locked room while the dangerous work was being done, but all other times, the cats roamed the range (inside) and kept the workers company. I did some painting too - and the cats loved the roller on the ceilings as well as the messy drop clothes to dive under. In general, they were real pains in the butt, but they also kept me laughing. One day one cat had green paw pads and the other had burgundy .... they jumped on everything when I wasn't watching!

Monkeys, they are monkeys!

One of my former cats (RB) walked on a white, freshly painted window sill, and then walked ALL over my living room rug....dark brown living room rug. It took quite a bit of elbow grease to get all that paint / latex!! off the rug. Phewwwwww.

My cats never got sick from any of the paint etc.

SAS

lynnestankard
04-22-2002, 02:36 PM
When I redecorated the dining room just before Christmas I had the help from The Three Stooges - they insisted on being in on the act:eek: :eek: I'm convinced it took me three times as long!!!
When we had the floor sanded they weren't too keen but as soon as the noise stopped they had to be in there checking the work had been done to their satisfaction!
They love the room now and adore sitting in the window as if to tell the world - WE DID THIS!!!:D

Lynne

LoudLou
04-22-2002, 02:40 PM
Don't they make THE BEST Supervisors?;) ... Believe it or not Mocha Bean is "Director of Vacuuming" She points out all the spots I miss, and she MUST inspect every piece of furniture when it gets moved.:rolleyes:

Edwina's Secretary
04-22-2002, 03:28 PM
In November of 1998 we moved into a vintage house that needed some work. Since that time we have replaced all the windows, painted every room, refinished some floors, had the bathrooms and kitchen gutted and remodeled. Edwina has been there throughout (I'm not even talking about the twice flooded basement that had to be completely redone -- sigh.)

She loves workmen and likes to supervise as long as the work is not too noisy.

The only time I worried was the floor refinishing. My husband and I decided one Sunday morning to take up the carpet in the front hall and on the stairs -- beautiful hardwood floors beneath that just needed stripping, sanding and restaining. We decided to do it ourselves. (Highlight of a long story -- do not sit in stripper -- it hurts.) Edwina walked in the stripper and I nearly had a heart attack. We rushed her to the sink to wash her paws -- she nearly had a heart attack.

The floor is lovely and of course, Edwina is fine, but still does a funny walk down the stairs.

momoffuzzyfaces
04-22-2002, 03:39 PM
Fresh paint and cats do not a happy combination make!
It's not the fumes as much as the curious paws being dipped in everything or fur being brushed over wet paint. Some paints can be harmful if swallowed. If possible, keeping cats away until the paint is dry is best and makes everyone the happiest.:)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-22-2002, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
Edwina walked in the stripper and I nearly had a heart attack. We rushed her to the sink to wash her paws -- she nearly had a heart attack.

Just the way you say this makes me think that saying each of you nearly had a heart attack is quite the understatement. :D

I've been doing a little painting these last couple months, and every-once-in-a-while one of my two will come in, sniff around a bit, then leave. I guess watching me paint isn't any more exciting than watching the paint dry. :rolleyes: I was surprised because Tubby is usually such a good helper (yeah, right!) but maybe he didn't like the smell. I didn't like it either so I don't blame him.

tuxluvr
04-23-2002, 08:25 PM
I laughed at many of these, but all addressed concerns..paws in paint, inhaling or eating paint...I think Ritz will have an "issue" with anything we change in our house - I bought a new area rug and she walked around the perimeter of it for about 3 days....now it is her favorite lounging spot.

I imagine this project will be "stretched out"...probably paint first, then carpet...ought to be interesting.

Sorry for my delayed thank you - we had a thunderstorm that burned out my internal modem....grrrrr