PDA

View Full Version : Completely off from wet food?

Former User
04-21-2002, 12:15 PM
We've noticed lately that Casper and Kitty aren't all that intrested in wet food anymore, everyday there's left overs in their dish... We do have plenty of different flavours for them, so getting bored to the same flavour can't be the problem. Been wondering that should we give up the wet food completely, or give it as a treat? Or maybe just give less when giving it in the morning and evening... I know if we were to give it up completely, Casper would miss it... so, I have no idea what to do... Any suggestions?

Logan
04-21-2002, 12:45 PM
Niina,
I think I'd cut it way back. They really are supposed to do better on dry food anyway. You could just use the wet food as a "treat" for Casper and of course, Kitty, if she wants it. Unfortuantely, "wet" is the only thing Mimi will eat these days in her senior years.
Logan

4 feline house
04-21-2002, 12:48 PM
It could be, too, that since they are nearing adulthood they are simply eating less. That's not a bad thing because you don't want them to get fat. I wouldn't give any more than they are willing to eat, and it's okay for them to be getting both, as long as they are also getting some dry.

Former User
04-21-2002, 12:50 PM
Leah, they have access to dry food all day :) Kitty seems to prefer that more nowadays!

4 feline house
04-21-2002, 01:01 PM
I wouldn't worry, then. Like Logan says, most of the experts agree dry is better, except for kitties that may have special needs, like Mimi!

momoffuzzyfaces
04-21-2002, 01:54 PM
I would just cut the wet food back. I think that since cats are by nature hunters, they need a little meat in their diets. I have no basis for this, it's just my logic. My boys take spells where they don't want much wet food and other times they almost inhale it. Finicky thy name is CAT!;)

Randi
04-21-2002, 01:58 PM
I would give them less wet food each time and perhaps you should try to only give them wet food 2-3 times a week and also take the dry food away for a couple of hours every day as they can smell it all day long and may loose interest. (this is an advice from C.C.'s mum) It works well with Fister! ;)

yorkster
04-21-2002, 02:43 PM
Wylie and Kedi get only dry food (okay, per the vet).
It was difficult getting them off of it, but now they don't seem to care they just love their dry kitty food! :D

We do give a little wet food as treats now & then (and of course a little tuna too) :rolleyes:

rg_girlca
04-21-2002, 10:01 PM
I had the same problem with Katie with left over wet food. So now she just gets it about every 2 or 3 days and i give her only about a tablespoon. Worked for me. No more left over cat food.:D
Good luck in whatever you decide to do. :)

krazyaboutkatz
04-21-2002, 11:44 PM
I weaned my cats off the wet food entirely. None of them seem to miss it except for Storm. I now let them feed freely on dry. They usually finish all of it but sometimes they'll leave a little bit. I think it's healthier for them too. Good luck with whatever you choose.

04-22-2002, 01:25 AM
:) I would cut back the wet food ! Use it as a special treat for once in a while , they will like that !! If Casper request for more than Kitty , I would give it to him !
Success !:D ;)