PDA

View Full Version : Can someone help???

nanaberry
07-25-2001, 02:17 PM
My mother just rescued a poodle mix. She took her to the vet and had a check up and shots updated. She has whipworms. She is being treated. The problem is she licks her vagina all the time. She is 13 months old and has been spayed. We had to shave her because she had matts in her hair the size of golf balls. We don't know if the licking is a nervous reaction or if it is another problem. Can anyone help? :confused:

POOH267
07-25-2001, 03:59 PM
Check and see if it's allergies....skin allergies...or food allergies....and I would strongly suggest getting a second opinion on what kind of spay job was done....Sometimes a not so good vet may have done a crappy job and left something unattended to....Talk to your vet about shaving her present hair down to a healthy minimum and starting a new doo...just to get rid of existing skin problems and irritations.....hope it gets better....keep us posted.... :(

ilovehounds
07-25-2001, 05:11 PM
Did you cut the hairs around the vagina ? If you did they are likley pricking her. Just put baby cream on it and let it grow back out, if thats the case. Other then that I have no idea :confused:

RachelJ
07-26-2001, 09:42 AM
You might want to try an oatmeal shampoo which can be very soothing to skin problems. Also see if you can distract her once she starts licking. Redirect her attention to something else. The licking in an of itself might be creating further problems. If the irritation continues and is solely located to the vagina, I certainly would not hesitate to take her back to the Vet to specifically address this problem.

Pam
07-26-2001, 11:51 AM
This would prompt a call to the vet for me too. I am wondering if dogs can get yeast infections? At any rate, it's time to ask the vet. Hope it turns out to be nothing serious.