PDA

View Full Version : Convection ovens...

Glacier
03-09-2006, 03:15 PM
Anyone got an convection oven? I need to replace my rapidly dying stove and am interested in one of these. Just wondering if they are worth the large price increase over a tradition oven?

lvpets2002
03-09-2006, 03:20 PM
:) I only have gas stove top & oven.. But I have heard good reports on convection ovens..

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-09-2006, 03:22 PM
I have one in the motorhome. I've had one in the motorhome for more than 4 years now.....and I'm such a fantastic cook that I can't really tell you much about them! :rolleyes: Usually we cook out on the grill and such and I just haven't found much of a need to bake while we're camping.

However, the little I do know is I do like it. Mine is a combination microwave/convection and it's great because as long as you use the right kind of baking dish, you can get a combination of the speed of a microwave plus the "realness" of a real oven - things like brown toppings and such. I do know that one time I made twice baked potatoes in it. They were frozen and supposedly all I had to do was put them in the oven for a certain amount of time. Well.....I guess I forgot to allow for the microwave portion of the oven. I ended up with melted potatoes instead of twice baked. :rolleyes:

Some people swear by them and some people hate them. They are definitely "different" and take some getting used to, but I do like mine in the motorhome and would definitely never want to give up the space in the motorhome for a conventional oven.

Ok, so this was probably more just babbling on than actually offering any constructive help....... :rolleyes: ;) Oh, it makes fantastic microwave popcorn. Just hit the "popcorn" button and forget about it until the timer goes off, then eat! :D

Laura's Babies
03-09-2006, 05:49 PM
In the cafeteria I managed, we had several and I have wanted one ever since... They cut your cooking time way down.

pnance
03-09-2006, 11:13 PM
I helped with a banquet once and once we figured out how to use the thing :rolleyes: it cut our cooking time by quite a bit.

Killearn Kitties
03-10-2006, 03:29 AM
We replaced our oven when we moved house 12 years ago and I really like the new one. It does cut cooking time, or you can cook at a lower temperature. I don't cook sponge cakes very often, but they really do rise beautifully!

Maresche
03-10-2006, 07:03 AM
I've been drooling over getting one of these for a long time. If you do a lot of baking or really enjoy the baking you do, I'd say it's worth it. If not, you may want to really think about it.

Glacier
03-10-2006, 10:35 AM
Well, I ordered one! I do love to bake and do tons of it. Keeping Stuart in bread alone requires lots of baking! It will take two weeks of the stove to get here. The guy at the furniture store loves me. I made his commission for the month yesterday. Bought a new bed too!

Maresche
03-10-2006, 10:38 AM
Oh, I'm glad to hear it. Please let us know if you like it once you've had the chance to use it for awhile.

BTW, how's Stuart's hand doing?

Edwina's Secretary
03-10-2006, 10:43 AM
You mean you are suppose to USE the convection oven???? Just kidding. I had a microwave/convection oven in Chicago and did use it....I like having two ovens. But truthfully....I never mastered it. Rather I had some nasty fights with it. I do believe the fights were all my fault. I so hate reading owner's manuals.

Our house here has two ovens....both of which are both conventional and convection. I haven't yet tried the convection feature. I am waiting for a nice snowy winter day to do some baking.....

Cataholic
03-10-2006, 01:06 PM
Our house here has two ovens....both of which are both conventional and convection. I haven't yet tried the convection feature. I am waiting for a nice snowy winter day to do some baking.....

How odd. Here, in Cincinnati, where it actually DOES snow, I have two ovens, too! A conventional and a MICROWAVE oven! I use the latter much more. Even when it snows. :D