PDA

View Full Version : Dixie will be going in for surgery

Dixieland Dancer
03-09-2006, 08:32 AM
On Monday, March 27th, Dixie will be going in for surgery to have a hard lump removed from the roof of her mouth. The vet feels it is a 50/50 chance the lump will be benign. She does not seem to be impaired by the lump and is still eating fine and playing but she is doing a lot of licking her lips. I guess that is understandable with something the size of a small grape on the roof of your mouth. :(

Please keep her in your prayers that it is benign.

Update.... OK... I am really getting worried now. The vet called with the results of her pre-surgery blood test. The Eosinophil count is abnormal. This is a type of white blood cell count. The causes of this could be as simple as allergies or parasites (the two most common reasons) or other diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis and other problems like that or malignant conditions such as hodgkins or lymphomas.

The first step is to rule out parasites. He is ordering a test for heartworm from the blood they drew yesterday and I will be taking him a stool sample tomorrow. She has already gone today. I am hoping it is as simple as this and no need to go any further in testing to determine what is causing the high eosinophil count.

Karen
03-09-2006, 09:01 AM
We will! Hope it's nothing! Dixie will be in our prayers!

anna_66
03-09-2006, 09:16 AM
Candy I'm sorry to hear that your Dixie is having surgery. I really do hope it turns out to be benign. We'll be crossing our fingers and toes and say a prayer for your little girl.

KYS
03-09-2006, 09:55 AM
I will be thinking of Dixie on her surgery date and hope that the
lump is benign. I am glad that she is eating alright and the lump
is not bothering her.

lv4dogs
03-09-2006, 10:02 AM
Sending lots of prayers your way. hoping for a successful operation & a speedy recovery, and a benign results. You'll be in our thoughts.

Cinder & Smoke
03-09-2006, 10:53 AM
Hi God ~

Please let Dixie Dawg's blood test come back OK ...

And Please be wiff her fur da Sir Jury - an let da lumpy be just a lil lump.

Thanks God!

/s/ the Prayer Pups

Pam
03-09-2006, 11:30 AM
WOW Candy! How did you come to realize that she had a lump on the roof of her mouth? You are a good doggie mom for sure. I doubt I ever would have spotted such a thing, particular if the dogs were eating normally. I hope that it is something benign and/or simple but will keep you and Dixie in my thoughts.

pnance
03-09-2006, 12:14 PM
My thoughts are with her for a successful operation and speedy recovery. Hopefully it's just something simple.

Dixieland Dancer
03-09-2006, 12:48 PM
WOW Candy! How did you come to realize that she had a lump on the roof of her mouth?

Actually, my husband has to take the credit for this one. He was laying in bed rubbing her paws (her favorite thing in the whole world) and she had her head laying on his chest with her mouth open when he spotted it. She wouldn't hold her mouth open for him to look closer so he called me in. I forced her mouth open and immediately saw what he was talking about. I've never seen a lump like it before so I made the appointment for the vet to check her out.

Cancer is my biggest fear. I'm praying it's only a parasite of some sort like worms or something like that. I don't think I would be this worried if the lump wasn't there and the blood tests came back like this. She is my heart and I wonder how Dusty will do if something were to happen to her. They have only been seperated once since he was born and that was only for 1 day. He didn't do too good then and that was when I told my hubby he had to take both dogs then on or none.

Thanks for the well wishes and prayers. They really do help. Knowing others care makes it easier to deal with.

lizbud
03-09-2006, 12:58 PM
I will certainly keep Dixie in my prayers.I hope it tests out to be not
a serious thing at all.Do you think she could see the Vet before the 27th?
This would be very worrisome, but you & Dixie will be in my prayers.

Dixieland Dancer
03-09-2006, 02:09 PM
Do you think she could see the Vet before the 27th?

She has actually already seen the vet. Her surgery is scheduled for the 27th. I could of had a date sooner but the vet I want to do the surgery only operates on Monday. I originally didn't think it was critical to do it sooner but with the news of her white blood count being high, I'm questioning myself. The vet thinks we are ok with the 27th since she is showing no signs of any problems. I believe (although he didn't really say) that he was originally thinking it was more of a chance of being benign. I'm not sure now. I do know it's going to be a long wait now to find out. In the mean time I am going to take in her stool sample and hope it is something as simple as worms.

k9krazee
03-09-2006, 02:13 PM
Oh! Sending good thoughts for Dixie!!

cyber-sibes
03-10-2006, 10:46 PM
We'll keep sendin prayers for Dixie, for a safe surgery and a good outcome. Such a pretty girl...please give those pawsies an extra rub from me. ;)

Flatcoatluver
03-10-2006, 10:57 PM
my prayers are with you and dixie. ((HUGS))

sammy101
03-10-2006, 10:59 PM
sending best thoughts and prayers for Dixie.

steph
03-11-2006, 06:13 AM
How did the surgery go for Dixie??

*LabLoverKEB*
03-11-2006, 05:17 PM
Oh, Candy, I am so sorry to hear about miss Dixie haveing to get surgery. This is very hard for you, I'm sure. Fingers, paws, and fins will be crossed for Dixie. Please keep us updated!:)

Daisy and Delilah
03-11-2006, 07:02 PM
My thoughts and prayers are going out to Dixie as well. Gosh, I hope everything is okay and it's nothing serious to worry about. (((((HUGS)))))

K9karen
03-11-2006, 11:53 PM
Candy, I'm sorry I just saw this. Knowing you so long, I feel like Dixie and Dusty are part of my family. I'm praying furiously that everything will turn out alright and that it's not serious. I love you and your pair very much. I will be thinking and praying for all of you constantly.

Cincy'sMom
03-12-2006, 08:00 AM
Lots of thoughts and prayer for Dixie and your family.

Ginger's Mom
03-12-2006, 08:28 AM
Candy, I am so sorry, I am just seeing this now. Will be sending out lots of prayers of Dixie.

beeniesmom
03-12-2006, 09:21 AM
Prayers for Dixie.
I hope it turns out to be nothing serious.

Kater
03-12-2006, 03:28 PM
Prayers for Dixie coming from Hawaii! Thankfully you and your husband noticed this before it started to affect her greatly, and that early detection will certainly give you the best advantage. :)
Lots of {{{HUGS}}} and prayers for you all during this scary time!