PDA

View Full Version : Walmart Super Centers

Pam
03-09-2006, 06:32 AM
A few months ago a Walmart Super Center opened up about 10-15 min. from my house. I am not one to travel that far to do my grocery shopping but it actually is pretty close to my work place so I went in for curiosity one day after work. WOW! The prices there are absolutely amazing!! I ALWAYS check the prices on things that I buy so I know pretty much when something is a *good deal* or a ripoff. Virtually everything I picked up was at least $.50 to more than $1.00 less than what I'd pay in a supermarket and believe me that adds up at the check-out! Needless to say, I haven't gotten groceries anywhere else since. I mentioned it to my co-workers and they tried it once and are hooked too. In fact I met one of my co-workers in Walmart just yesterday after work! LOL!

Anyone have a Walmart Super Center near them? I know some people have negative thoughts about Walmart but for me the bottom line is money saved. ;) If the other stores want to remain competitive they should lower their prices. :)

BitsyNaceyDog
03-09-2006, 07:47 AM
There is a Super Walmart 15 minutes from my house too. I suffer from panic attacks though so I avoid Walmart at all costs. My dad lives about 3 minutes from it and he won't shop anywhere else. :)

Daisy and Delilah
03-09-2006, 07:52 AM
We have two Wal-Mart Supercenters about 5 miles in two directions Pam. I can't beat their prices either. I do most of my shopping there too. Wal-Marts are all over Florida. I do have to make sure I pick a good time to go there or I'll be searching for a parking spot forever ;)

catnapper
03-09-2006, 08:05 AM
Aren't they great? We have one thats about 15-20 minutes away, but its in a really bad section of town and we don't go there. I heard talk that they want to put another one in about 5 miles away from the one in the bad section of town.... I really hope they do it! The prices are fantastic!

MY dad has a job at a Walmart Super Center as a greeter. He takes his job seriously (mom thinks its cute how serious he is about greeting people :D) He gets a discount on top of the low prices. Mom is saving hundreds of dollars a year just by switching to Walmart. I told her she could spend her savings with me but she wasn't interested in doing so ;)

Felix
03-09-2006, 08:42 AM
I LOVE Walmart! I have a Walmart about 10 minutes from where I live.I find it a one stop shop.Just about everything you need is there...its great. :)

anna_66
03-09-2006, 08:45 AM
Well, I have to say I've shopped at Wallyworld for years. The bad thing was I always had to travel to another town to do it (not bad as it was only about 10 min away). But just about a month ago one opened not more than a couple minutes away from my house! I was so excited as we had NO grocery stores or pharmacies on our side of town. I love it, the only hard thing for me is that the store is set up completely opposite of the store I had been going to. You never really realize how much you take knowing where things are for granted!

So that being said, I love shopping at Wal-Mart because as you said Pam...the prices are always lower!

Laura's Babies
03-09-2006, 09:06 AM
We have to within 15 minutes of where I live and yes, I DO love them. Can't help but wonder though, what will happen to their prices when they run everybody else out of business and there is no where else to shop. It is just so convient to be able to buy a new shirt, your medicine, and groceries in one stop.....

pitc9
03-09-2006, 09:17 AM
My husband is a Union worker and most Walmart's are built by non union worker so I do not support Walmart.
But I'm sure they have low prices that people like!

jazzcat
03-09-2006, 10:02 AM
We have one about 4 miles from the house and at the end of the strip mall it's in is a Super Target. I do most of my grocery shopping between the two places but I prefer Target to Walmart because it seems cleaner and there are always more registers opened so I can check out quickly. I'd probably do all my shopping at the Target but they don't carry everything I need like Walmart.

The bad part about it is these super stores are driving the other grocery chains and the small mom and pop places out of business. I think we are down to just Kroger and Food City in my area.

elizabethann
03-09-2006, 10:02 AM
My Neice loves Walmart Super Centers. She loves them so much that we predict she'll have her baby in one of aisles. :D :eek:

I have a Walmart near where I live, but it's not a super Walmart - no groceries, just household stuff. I think if I did, I would go there too.

elizabethann
03-09-2006, 10:03 AM
We have one about 4 miles from the house and at the end of the strip mall it's in is a Super Target. I do most of my grocery shopping between the two places but I prefer Target to Walmart because it seems cleaner and there are always more registers opened so I can check out quickly. I'd probably do all my shopping at the Target but they don't carry everything I need like Walmart.

The bad part about it is these super stores are driving the other grocery chains and the small mom and pop places out of business. I think we are down to just Kroger and Food City in my area.

There's a Super Target? Do they sell groceries (meat, bread, etc.)? I never knew there was a Super Target.
:)

lv4dogs
03-09-2006, 10:04 AM
I know, I love the supercenters, the closest one to me is about 25 minutes away though.
They were supposed to build one right down the street from me last fall (less than a mile away) but they had problems with finding so much water in the soil or something like that. Last I heard, a few months ago it was still going to be built, just got post-poned to this spring. It will make my area much busier but it will be oh so convenient. I hope they do build it & soon.

Pam
03-09-2006, 10:08 AM
My Neice loves Walmart Super Centers. She loves them so much that we predict she'll have her baby in one of aisles. :D :eek:

LOL! LOL! This could happen to my daughter (she is 6 months pregnant) and her Walmart is about a mile away so she is there constantly!

I know that other stores are having a hard time competing and it is sad. Alan Jackson (my favorite singer! :) ) has a song called *The Little Man* and it deals with just this sort of thing - the little man being forced out of business. It is truly sad, but I can certainly understand the desire to save money. Laura's Babies, you bring up a good point. What happens when everyone else is gone and there is only Walmart.

finn's mom
03-09-2006, 10:11 AM
I shop at Walmart, but, absolutely hate everything about it. :( I feel hypocritical as heck, but, it's cheapest and open 24 hours. Dang it. I hope to be able to shop other places really soon, though. I used to love Walmart, but, now...blech. And, yet, there I am, shopping there at least once a week. Darn the man. hahahaha

I prefer Targets and Super Targets, but, right now, cheapest is the way I have to go.

king2005
03-09-2006, 10:13 AM
forgot to read other replies but I had to respond to this.

I know some people have negative thoughts about Walmart but for me the bottom line is money saved. ;) If the other stores want to remain competitive they should lower their prices. :)

The problem is that they cannot lower their prices any lower. If they did, they would have to outsource like Wal-mart & pay their workers pennies & step all over them.

Wal-mart is bad because of how it gets its lower prices. They even treat their workers in canada/usa like dirt! I talking about the company not the managers.

You should watch that movie on wal-mart, its heart breaking!

jazzcat
03-09-2006, 10:22 AM
There's a Super Target? Do they sell groceries (meat, bread, etc.)? I never knew there was a Super Target.
:)
Yep, it's great! I already loved Target so when they opened a Super Target with full groceries I thought I should just set up a tent. To me, their quality of meat is better than any of the grocery stores around (except the Fresh Market - I love the Fresh Market).

Karen
03-09-2006, 10:49 AM
You need to be careful with prices, and not just assume it's cheaper at Walmart. We don't have a "Supercenter" near us, but for a while bought all our papertowels at the Walmart because they were cheaper. They kept changing the prices around, though, and can vary as much a $2 more for the same size package.

So as in all things, buyer beware.

poofy
03-09-2006, 10:58 AM
Give me walmart any day, the economy has always been bad for the people with the least amt of money..so now we get a break and they hate it..I really dont care..I'll shop walmart :)

Pam
03-09-2006, 11:24 AM
You need to be careful with prices, and not just assume it's cheaper at Walmart. We don't have a "Supercenter" near us, but for a while bought all our papertowels at the Walmart because they were cheaper. They kept changing the prices around, though, and can vary as much a $2 more for the same size package.

So as in all things, buyer beware.

Karen I never really went to Walmart when it was just a *regular* Walmart. The Super Center is something different entirely. I noticed yesterday that they had even lowered their Breyer's ice cream (hubby's favorite) down to $1.99. Then I got my supermarket flyer and noticed that it was selling Breyer's at $1.99 so that is why Walmart lowered the price. They have their finger on the pulse of prices for sure. I am not even going to renew my membership at Sam's Club now, although I realize they are the same. Now you all know how cheap I am. :p :p

I had to run into the supermarket for something that Walmart didn't carry and noticed, as I passed the bananas, that they were $.69/lb. there. I had just paid $.44/lb. at Walmart. I could never shop at the supermarket again knowing how inflated their prices are.

caseysmom
03-09-2006, 11:28 AM
We don't have one near me...I am so picky about meat and produce...are those good? I am sure we will get a supercenter around here eventually.

gemini9961
03-09-2006, 11:31 AM
I shop at one. It's about 20 minutes away. I go there for my household items and a few groceries. I prefer to go to Publix for groceries. Less people in there and excellent quality items. I know Wallyworld gets a bad rap and it's incredibly busy but yes I am attracted to the lower prices.

Flatcoatluver
03-09-2006, 11:33 AM
Our walmart doesn't sale grocheries, or we would shop there too!

mruffruff
03-09-2006, 11:47 AM
The Wal-Mart Supercenter is only minutes from my house. I go once a week for everything but meat. All of the meats say "May have up to 12% salt solution added". I get more salt than I need in my food already, so I sure don't need more. The Bi-Lo is right next door but their prices are staggering. I'm not cooking much meat anymore.

Litter is $5.48 for 28 pounds and Temptations are $1.38 a bag. They are open 24 hours but the lines are usually ridiculously long no matter when I go. And in our county, only food can be sold between 12:01 AM and 1:30 PM on Sunday. So I just pick my time as best I can.

One of my co-workers says, "If Wal-mart doesn't have it, you don't need it!"
Not true, but close.

finn's mom
03-09-2006, 11:55 AM
I shop at one. It's about 20 minutes away. I go there for my household items and a few groceries. I prefer to go to Publix for groceries. Less people in there and excellent quality items. I know Wallyworld gets a bad rap and it's incredibly busy but yes I am attracted to the lower prices.

I love Publix! I definitely prefer to buy produce there, as it just always seems to be better quality, and, they have some of the best customer service I've ever come across in a grocery store, I love them. I used to *love* Walmart, but, the customer service just seems to be getting worse and worse, but, like you...the cheaper prices get me every time. ;)

beeniesmom
03-09-2006, 12:09 PM
I have one within walking distance of my house.
It was a Godsend. I live in an area where the closest shopping center was an hour away.
I still don't understand why most of the people in my neighborhood picketed outside to stop construction. :confused:
It's been there for 2 years and I get my groceries there every week.
I know a lot of people in my neighborhood shop there too.
The prices are good and the quality not bad. I even get some cloths there too.... and a lot of dog treats. They take coupons without looking at you funny, so you save even more.
I am sorry for the smaller businesses that can't keep up with the low prices... but in the end .... it's better for my pocket.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-09-2006, 12:30 PM

This actually happened! I don't remember where, but it was on our news here. The woman's water broke while she was in the store so her and hubby(I believe) contacted the store manager. An ambulance was on the way, but the baby wanted O-U-T so she had the baby right there in the aisle at Wally World. I would suggest this to every mother-to-be because Wal-Mart ended up donating a TON of stuff, like a year's supply of diapers, baby food, clothes, nursery items, etc. The people really made out well from the experience. :cool:

I have mixed feelings about Wal-Mart. I, like everyone else, like the low prices, and they let us park in their parking lot overnight with the motorhome when we're on the road. However, I'm not sure I like the tactics they use to get those low prices. We saw a documentary on public TV once that didn't judge, they just explained how Wal-Mart works. As for how they treat their employees, I'm not too sure about that either. As far as I know, they are the biggest employer in the US, and when you consider the trickle down effect, there are millions of people employed because of Wal-Mart. When you employee that many people, you are going to come across a few disgruntled employees, but you will also find many who are thrilled to be working there. They wanted to put one up in Chicago. There was a huge uproar about it because of the money they pay. My thought was - do I work for $7.00 an hour or do not work at all and continue to eek out a living on public assistance? Bottom line was Chicago voted no. There's a street on the South side of Chicago. The North side of the street is Chicago, the South side of the street is a suburb (forgot which one...Evergreen Park maybe?). Wal-Mart built on the South side of the street. So now all the people from Chicago can buy there and work there and Wal-Mart doesn't need to put up with Chicago's politics and BS.

The store nearest to us is ALWAYS mobbed and a mess, so the only time I shop at a Wal-Mart is when we're on the road and staying overnight in their parking lot. Since I'm torn about them, I figure this is a good compromise. I patronize them so I don't feel like we're taking advantage by staying on their property, but I otherwise don't shop there which satisfies my "boycott" feelings. Hypocritical maybe, but whattayagonnado?

Oh, and as for Super Target, K-Mart, etc., they've all see the way Wal-Mart works and are now using similar tactics. They just don't have quite the buying power that Wal-Mart does. I don't know if Super Target uses Union labor, but I would doubt it. The "big box" stores are really all the same, it's just a matter of how big their box is. ;)

lbaker
03-09-2006, 12:53 PM
I agree with Debbie about the questionable tactics they use to keep prices low and the lousy treatment of employees. Outrageous demands, unfair labor practices and little if any benefits like basic health care. But as Debbie said, no job or a lousy job? Horrible choice to have to make :(

Kfamr
03-09-2006, 01:25 PM
One thing I really dislike about Wal-Mart and their supercenters are the fact that they feel the need to have a location every 10 miles you drive.

We boycotted the building of one. They wanted to build a supercenter RIGHT next to a river, the ONLY natural part of that river/wetlands left in this area and they wanted to destroy it. They have not built it and I hope they don't. There is a Wal-Mart 5 minutes down the road from it!

That said, I shop there all the time, only for 3 things. Dog toys, Material for bandanas, and to print my pictures. Their $0.88 dog toys, $1/yd material, & $0.19 picture printing has me hooked.

Customer service is HORRIBLE but, that is typical in 99.9% of stores and restaurants now-a-days it seems.

My Peanuts
03-09-2006, 02:56 PM
Their $0.88 dog toys, $.

I buy like 10 of those everytime I go. It's gotten to the point where when ever bags are brought into the house the pups know we have something for them! :p

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-09-2006, 03:12 PM
Oh, another reason I don't like Super Target - or Target in general - is because of something I heard a few years ago. I have no idea if it's true or not, but since I didn't like the store much to begin with, it was enough to make stay away. I heard they will NOT support any Veterans organizations whatsoever. Their take on it is that they have their "preferred" not-for-profit organizations they donate to and that's ALL they'll donate to - no matter who from the local community comes in. Now, I understand that corporations and businesses are bombarded with solicitations from every Tom, Dick and Harry, but sometimes you have to be able to be flexible and support local organizations and the local community. Like I say, I have no idea if this is true or not.

Oh yea, and just one more reason I don't like Target - I HATE their Super Target commercials! The ones where they talk about the fantastic meals you can make by buying the freshest cheapest ingredients around at Super Target. I don't know what it is....probably the lady's voice that just grinds on me every single time I hear it, and I hear it a LOT at work! :rolleyes: Target has managed to build a store or two within the city limits of Chicago. Evidently their corporate policies are either not as well known as Wal-Mart's, or they were able to squeak them past all the city politicians....or....knowing Chicago politics....maybe they knew just the right pockets to line......oops, did I say that? ;) :rolleyes: :p :)

lvpets2002
03-09-2006, 03:17 PM
:) Well I will admitt my checkbook is at Walmart every Saturday to do grocery shopping & I find it great can also get CDs & cloths & shoes & what ever else at the same time & dont have to run all over town..

king2005
03-09-2006, 03:43 PM
I have mixed feelings about Wal-Mart. I, like everyone else, like the low prices, and they let us park in their parking lot overnight with the motorhome when we're on the road. However, I'm not sure I like the tactics they use to get those low prices. We saw a documentary on public TV once that didn't judge, they just explained how Wal-Mart works. As for how they treat their employees, I'm not too sure about that either. As far as I know, they are the biggest employer in the US, and when you consider the trickle down effect, there are millions of people employed because of Wal-Mart. When you employee that many people, you are going to come across a few disgruntled employees, but you will also find many who are thrilled to be working there.

About how the employees are treated.
In Quebec, the workers tried to get a union (like many others) going & guess how Wal-mart solved it?
They closed the whole store. It was brand new too, I think 1-2yrs old.

The Doc. on tv said that Wal-Mart has also fired people or "ring leaders" for tring to start a union.

Remember the part where they scared some of these "ring leaders"?

or how about the parts where SOO many people we're being mugged & raped in the Wal-Mart parkings lots over & over & Wal-Mat didin't give a crap :(

To me thats BAD treatment of employees!!

BitsyNaceyDog
03-09-2006, 03:46 PM
Oh, another reason I don't like Super Target - or Target in general - is because of something I heard a few years ago. I have no idea if it's true or not, but since I didn't like the store much to begin with, it was enough to make stay away. I heard they will NOT support any Veterans organizations whatsoever. Their take on it is that they have their "preferred" not-for-profit organizations they donate to and that's ALL they'll donate to - no matter who from the local community comes in. Now, I understand that corporations and businesses are bombarded with solicitations from every Tom, Dick and Harry, but sometimes you have to be able to be flexible and support local organizations and the local community. Like I say, I have no idea if this is true or not.

It's not true. See here (http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/target.asp).

I don't have a super Target (or a Target of any kind) near me. I like them much more than Walmart though. I shop at Walmart a few times a year, and hate it when I do. Justin and I go to Target every now and again, I like some of there things.

Roxyluvsme13
03-09-2006, 04:11 PM
We have one! I love it, but its so crowded, so we dont go there much.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-09-2006, 04:15 PM
It's not true. See here (http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/target.asp).

Thanks for the link. Now I know. Somehow I figured it was one of those "urban legends" but like I say, I never really liked Target to begin with and this was just the straw that broke the camels back. Guess the camel can start healing now ;) although that doesn't mean I'm going to rush right out and go on a shopping spree at Target.

lizbud
03-09-2006, 04:35 PM
I hardly ever shop at Walmart. It's way out near the boonies & I'm
too lazy to drive that far. I did try it once for kitty food because my neighbors told me how cheap it was at Walmart. I couldn't find my cats
favorite brand & they also don't carry the dog food I buy. Most all my
shopping seems to be for food, for myself & the fur kids. :D

kimlovescats
03-09-2006, 09:53 PM
OH yes ... we have 2 super-centers here. I buy all of my groceries there ... have for years now! In fact I get most everything there that you can possibly get .... Wal-Mart gets all of our money! :p

dukedogsmom
03-09-2006, 09:56 PM
I love Walmart! There are a few people at planetfeedback.com that can't stand it. They call WalMart the Beast of Bentonville.

catnapper
03-10-2006, 07:17 AM
They call WalMart the Beast of Bentonville.
LOLOLOLOLOLOL

As for how they treat their employees...... that all depends on how compassionate and caring the manager is. My dad worked at one Walmart with a jerk of a boss who didn't give a flip that he's disabled and pretty much told me dad t hat if he didn't find a way to perform ONE task, he'd be fired. Now he's in another store and the manager bends over backwards to accomodate dad's disability.

One of my best friends is a store manager. She's one of the good ones who cares about her employees and they know she's out to protect them as best she can, yet they know she's got to be on them for doing their jobs since her job depends on them doing theirs (did that make sense)

Its like every other job in a large retail corporation. Be it a supermarket, chain clothing store, etc. My job at the pet supply store (name witheld for now ;) ) drives me nuts because they cut my hours. My manager fought it for me, but corporate in their wisdom thought dog trainers only need be in the store when training. How on earth am I to get students if I'm not there to talk to people about our classes??? Ok, back to the topic of the hour ;) Walmart just seems to constantly be in the line of fire because they are so big.

As for Target -- I always hated that place. I agree with Debbie about annoying commercials! :D I also think Target is much more expensive than Wal Mart. I did a test once and bought all the same supplies I typically buy at Walmart. Same brands, same sizes, everything. I spent almost $20 more on the same stuff! And it wasn't even fun stuff -- it was toilet paper, shampoo, Lysol, etc. :(

christa
03-10-2006, 08:48 AM
You mean to tell me there are other options besides Super Walmart?

LOL

I never even gave it a thought! :D

Edwina's Secretary
03-10-2006, 01:32 PM
This will probably be a shock....but I refuse to shop at Walmart for political reasons..... :D :eek: :D I do not like their tactics in building new stores, but most of all I do not like the way they go about offereing such low prices....btw....grocery stores have about the lowest margins of any business...they make about a nickel in profit on every dollar in sales...so a couple of pennies makes a big difference.

Walmart mistreats their employees (They are being sued for discriminating against women....violating wage and hours laws....locking employees in the store and forcing off the clock work, etc.) they are horrible to their vendors. A store manager may treat the employees in a store well but you can't overcome the corporate policies. Internal memos have been published about the number of employees receiving public assistance for medical insurance because they don't provide it and their plan to hire younger workers to reduce medical costs.

So the money you save at Walmart you are simply paying somewhere else...higher taxes, etc.

Eventually, we in the United States will be selling each other hamburgers and real estate because all the manufacturing jobs will have gone off-shore. But we will be able to buy things cheap at Walmart.... :rolleyes: :D

Lady's Human
03-10-2006, 03:09 PM
Let me start this by saying I am a member of a union, but I shop at wal mart, sam's club, target, kmart, or wherever the best prices are.

Having been in a non-union workplace that a union was trying to "organize", I have to question how one sided the reporting on Wal-mart's tactics were in dealing with the union organizers. Much of the reporting on Wal Mart has a blatant agenda. When the company I used to work for was targeted by a union, the employees were given pamphlets on their way in to work (at the entrance to the plant, which was a public way, so they weren't trespassing), and supervisors and mangement were harrassed. The union pamphlets were full of half truths, telling the workers how much their hourly wages would go up under the proposed union contract, but left out the fact that overtime would disappear (by the proposed contract, a third shift would be added, instead of 2 shifts), and that the plant that was working under that contract was closed 3 months out of the year because it was cheaper to run the plant 24/7 for 9 months and then lay everyone off for three months than to keep it running all year. The plant owners were threatened, their CHILDREN were threatened, etc.. It was fairly ugly for a while, the employees looked at the proposal, and did not even hold a vote once everything was on the table.

There isn't a major employer out there that hasn't been sued for discrimination, sexual harassment, labor law violations, you name it. While I was a supervisor in another company, I had 13 employees working for me. All but one was of hispanic extraction (salvadoran, columbian, and mexican). Out of those 12, I had one who was constantly threatening me and the company with lawsuits for race discrimination, labor law violations, and harrassment. He even went to the local congressional delegation with his complaints. They went nowwhere, but you could easily add the company to the list of "bad employers" because of the multitude of complaints filed by one person.

There are other experiences I have had with this issue, including the product demands of the big box stores, but I have no problem with them. They are just trying to get the most from the supplier, and if the demands are unreasonable they aren't going to find a supplier.

Again, I shop wherever the cheapest prices are, and that includes the local grocery store, which frequently beats Wal Mart on both price and quality.

Suki Wingy
03-10-2006, 03:49 PM
the closest walmart to me is a hassle to get to and 30 minutes away!! Petsmart is only 3 miles, Niņo and I walk there often! Isn't that backwards :p ? Walmart is fun if you learn to ignore the grumpy employees. They keep their bettas in bigger cups than petsmart, and they have crowntails.

Suki Wingy
03-10-2006, 03:51 PM
I never really liked Target to begin with and this was just the straw that broke the camels back.
I LOVE target!