PDA

View Full Version : Betta #10

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
03-08-2006, 07:19 PM
I really need to stop now.

Pictures soon. :)

Flatcoatluver
03-08-2006, 07:21 PM
omg!!! :eek: I can't even imagine having over 3 bettas!!!!! you guys !!!!!

king2005
03-09-2006, 09:11 AM
where on earth are you housing 10 fish?!?!?
If I put splitters in my 30gal, I could only house 2-3 of those fishies!

Kfamr
03-09-2006, 01:39 PM
where on earth are you housing 10 fish?!?!?
If I put splitters in my 30gal, I could only house 2-3 of those fishies!

Bettas don't really need that much room. Some enjoy larger tanks but a lot thrive in 2+ gallons, so really you could house atleast 15 with splitters in your 30 gallon.

Hence the reason if people have bettas they usually have way more than one. ;)

lute
03-09-2006, 02:39 PM
wow! that's crazy! can't wait to see pics! :)

Chilli
03-09-2006, 06:16 PM
Wow, ten fish. I don't think I should go and buy a betta as I planned. They must be even more addicting then I thought!! :D

king2005
03-09-2006, 07:42 PM
Bettas don't really need that much room. Some enjoy larger tanks but a lot thrive in 2+ gallons, so really you could house atleast 15 with splitters in your 30 gallon.

Hence the reason if people have bettas they usually have way more than one. ;)

only getting 2gal is a really crappy life if you ask me.. atleast 10gal would ensure a happy healthy fish.

IRescue452
03-09-2006, 09:00 PM
They need surface area so I think four would be the most in a 30 gallon tank.

bckrazy
03-10-2006, 03:33 PM
Actually, with very frequent water changes, a nicely planted/decorated tank with mental stimulation (in the form of another betta, a mirror, or you), and good food, a 2 gallon is fine for a Betta! My red/green HM BF boy, Bonzai, is suuuuper happy in his 2.5 gallon! It isn't even heated (it's 75* constantly), but within hours of getting his water changed he has half of the tank covered in a bubblenest and he's parading around. Honestly, bigger usually is better, but a 2 gallon isn't a "crappy" life for most Bettas. Those 8 oz. "betta cubes" and "betta vases" are, however, torture! It does depend on their personality, though. My boy Maui would be mortified in a 2 gallon, he lurves his 5 gallon with lots of live plants and a snail to attack occasionally ;), but he also has huge finnage and needs the room. I actually think a Betta would be much less happy in a 10 gallon with a heavy filter current, than an unfiltered 2 gallon with lots of WC's.

:/ Back to not hi-jacking the thread, congrats on your new boy! I can't wait to see pics! Bettas really are addictive, I have around 45? now. A lot of them are juvies waiting to go to their new homes, though. ^_~

Suki Wingy
03-10-2006, 03:33 PM
I agree about the surface area. I rather keep one in 2 gallon with a large surface area than 3 with a small.

Husky_mom
03-10-2006, 03:41 PM
Wow, ten fish. I don't think I should go and buy a betta as I planned. They must be even more addicting then I thought!! :D

ha.........tell me about it i went for one and ended up with five LOL

cant wait for pics on the new addition!!!

Kfamr
03-10-2006, 04:07 PM
Actually, with very frequent water changes, a nicely planted/decorated tank with mental stimulation (in the form of another betta, a mirror, or you), and good food, a 2 gallon is fine for a Betta!

What Erica said. ;) Bettas aren't your average fish and 2 gallons certainly isn't "crappy" as you described. A "crappy" life for a Betta is in a vase like the general public houses them.

caseysmom
03-10-2006, 04:40 PM
My daughter had 2 male rats as class pets in 5th grade. They were ben and jerry. Jerry passed away and the teacher was pregnant so guess who ended up with the class rat :D

I didn't mind we use to have 2 females at the same time but now I will never have another rat their lifespan is just too short for me.