PDA

View Full Version : Raven's vet app't...

Glacier
03-07-2006, 02:37 PM
Raven saw the lovely Dr. Candace this morning. She was a very good girl at the vet. No problem with the kitty in the waiting room, went on the scale easily. She weighs 76 pounds. She's at the high end of normal, but not overweight. I'd like to get a few pounds off her though. Her teeth are great, her heart and lungs sound good.

Her hips however may be another story. She did not like having either of her hips examined and the vet couldn't get a full extension on either side. So for the next four days Raven is going to take Meloxicam. If she can't jump on her doghouse by Friday, she's going back to the vet for x-rays. She will need to be sedated for the x-rays. I'm hoping it's just a major muscle sprain and the anti-inflammatory will take care of it. She does have a 3 year history of inconsistent performance in harness though so it may be something structurally wrong with her. That would explain why somedays she's a great sled dog and somedays she won't pull at all. She's not allowed to pull or even go for a walk for the next two weeks.

She also can't see Deuce for the next four days. I had to put her in a pen by herself so she won't be tempted to play. Her daily dose of Husky WWF with Deuce will be cancelled until the weekend at least. He's not going to be happy with just Antare to play with. I may have to find him another wrestling buddy for a few days.

Queen of Poop
03-07-2006, 02:52 PM
Prayers that Raven does well on the meloxicam and that is all that is needed to get her back to her old self.

gemini9961
03-07-2006, 03:15 PM
Get better Raven. Take it easy.

jackie
03-07-2006, 03:41 PM
good luck Raven!

chocolatepuppy
03-07-2006, 03:44 PM
Pawsitive thoughts headed your way Raven, hope you're better soon. :)

cyber-sibes
03-07-2006, 04:28 PM
Poor girl, it's so hard to take it easy when you're used to bodyslamming your best buddy and leaping to the top of your doghouse every day! Hope she feels better soon. She's such a beautiful girl.
Better tell Deuce to take it easy with Antare, YOU sure don't need any more worries!

Ginger's Mom
03-07-2006, 05:54 PM
Positive thoughts going out for Raven. I hope the meds work and she is tearing around with Deuce by the end of the weekend.

Daisy and Delilah
03-07-2006, 10:26 PM
Awwwww!! Get better soon Raven! :)

K9karen
03-07-2006, 11:34 PM
Fell better soon, darling Raven. Life sucks when the hips hurt.

Lobodeb
03-07-2006, 11:39 PM
More prayers being sent to you that the meds take care of her hips and it's nothing serious.

anna_66
03-08-2006, 10:31 AM
Oh I do hope that the meds help and she's back to her old self soon. I just know that Deuce is going to hate not being with his best buddy to wrestle with.

Prayers being said and fingers crossed!

finn's mom
03-08-2006, 02:27 PM
Well, I hope the meds work and that she's pouncing around by Friday. ;) Good luck finding Deuce a play pal in the meantime!

Glacier
03-08-2006, 09:05 PM
She's had two doses of the Meloxicam now. She's much more active tonight. We just played a game of "Get Raven". I pretty much stand still and just lunge at her, she runs in circles, playbowing and wooing at me. (It's very similar to Franklin's Bark & Chase game!) She wouldn't play a couple days ago.

She's very noisy as is Deuce. They are seperated by one 7 foot fence and they are busy talking to each other. I'm sure they plotting a way to get back into the same pen. Raven is always noisy. The shelter staff all had hearing loss by the time Raven finally moved out! If something is wrong with her the first sign is she stops squealing.

But she won't jump. She never jumped at me or on the gate when I went in. When I patted the dog house in her isolation pen, she just looked at me like I'm insane. Wouldn't even consider jumping up on it. She has two more days of meds. If she still won't jump by Friday, she goes back to the vet for x-rays. Sigh, all that time spent trying to teach her not to jump on people and now all I want her do is take a running leap into my chest!

finn's mom
03-08-2006, 09:10 PM
Sigh, all that time spent trying to teach her not to jump on people and now all I want her do is take a running leap into my chest!

aw, you're so sweet. ;) i hope she's leaping like mad by friday. it certainly sounds like the meds are helping some, though, which is good!

pnance
03-08-2006, 09:50 PM
I'm glad to hear she's doing better...hopefully by Friday she'll be jumping all over the place again... :D ;)

cyber-sibes
03-08-2006, 10:57 PM
Sigh, all that time spent trying to teach her not to jump on people and now all I want her do is take a running leap into my chest!
A-ha! Huskies knew it all along, humans are confused creatures! :D