PDA

View Full Version : Barny Is Under Anesthesia

K & L
03-07-2006, 10:30 AM
I noticed the other day Barny didn’t seem to be himself. Kevin took him to the vet and Barny is having teeth problems and had an infection. We’ve had him on antibiotics this past week and now Barny is in for teeth cleaning and some teeth extractions. He was not a happy camper this morning in the carrier! Barny doesn’t get much PT exposure since he’s one that doesn’t want to have much to do with the inside, but here’s our little male calico! Wish him luck!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid58/p1b27a3b1e94ce5d26609d31d1c045438/fc67db12.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid104/pc513444ec064f15ae1459f6c3eabee49/f98b0db4.jpg

Sonia59
03-07-2006, 10:47 AM
A male calico is very rare isn't it?

Good luck boy, you'll certainly feel better after that ;)

BC_MoM
03-07-2006, 10:57 AM
Wow, he's stunning! Very handsome. I hope his teeth get better soon! lol

Laura's Babies
03-07-2006, 10:57 AM
I LOVE his smudgie face.. Looks like he has been in somebodys coal bin. What a hunk! Good luck at the white coats Barny!

Grace
03-07-2006, 11:13 AM
I LOVE his smudgie face.. Looks like he has been in somebodys coal bin.

Exactly what I was thinking. He's a love.

K & L
03-07-2006, 11:16 AM
A male calico is very rare isn't it?

Good luck boy, you'll certainly feel better after that ;)

Yes it is!

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-07-2006, 12:13 PM
Wht a gorgeous male calico!! Good luck at Sir Jury, Barny!!

catmandu
03-07-2006, 02:29 PM
The Best of Luck to Barny,and we are praying that his Dental Visit goes as well as the Found Cats have,and that Barny will be able to eat without pain now.

orangemm
03-07-2006, 04:46 PM
Good luck, Barny! You'll feel MUCH better.

kimlovescats
03-07-2006, 05:04 PM
He sure is a handsome boy ... and the first male calico I've ever known of! :eek: I hope everything goes fine for him today! Please let us know, Lisa! ;)

K & L
03-07-2006, 05:26 PM
Hi Everyone
So far so good. Barny had to have 13 teeth extracted. :eek: I still don't understand why some cats are prone to teeth problems while others aren't. All are cats are on the same diet, and yet a few have had this problem. Makes me feel like a bad parent. :confused: Anyway Barny can come home this evening as long as there isn't any extensive bleeding or other signs of problems. He will be on antibiotics and pain meds for a few days. Thanks for all the well wishes. I'm off to trap where I work. What a way to spend your wedding anniversary! :D

jenluckenbach
03-07-2006, 05:59 PM
Well, just like people, some cats have genes for GOOD teeth and some don't :(. Hopefully he'll be home and as good as new very soon.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-08-2006, 09:55 AM
13 teeth!??!?!? :eek: Poor little Barny, but I'm glad he came through it with flying colors. He sure is a cutie pie. :)

Congratulations on your anniversary! Did you get the gift you were looking for (a cat in the trap)? ;)

K & L
03-08-2006, 10:40 AM
13 teeth!??!?!? :eek: Poor little Barny, but I'm glad he came through it with flying colors. He sure is a cutie pie. :)

Congratulations on your anniversary! Did you get the gift you were looking for (a cat in the trap)? ;)

Yes! I got THREE! They're off to the clinic and will be released back here at work tomorrow morning! Number is up to the 30's now. :)

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-08-2006, 02:44 PM
13 teeth??? OMG, how much are still there? I have NO idea how many teeth a cat has :confused:
How old is Barny now?

Kirsten
03-08-2006, 02:51 PM
Poor Barny - 13 teeth!! :eek:

I don't know why some cats are prone to bad teeth, Maybe it has something to do with their immune system, or with being seperated from their mother at a too young age.

My Katz started losing her teeth at the age of 7, and by the age of ten, she had no teeth left except for three canines. She had no problems eating, though, but developed a heart disease later (which can be a result of bad teeth), so I'm regularily checking Luna's and Lily's teeth now.

Hope Barny will feel much better now that he's gotten rid of all his bad teeth!

Kirsten

K & L
03-08-2006, 07:04 PM
Poor Barny - 13 teeth!! :eek:

I don't know why some cats are prone to bad teeth, Maybe it has something to do with their immune system, or with being seperated from their mother at a too young age.

My Katz started losing her teeth at the age of 7, and by the age of ten, she had no teeth left except for three canines. She had no problems eating, though, but developed a heart disease later (which can be a result of bad teeth), so I'm regularily checking Luna's and Lily's teeth now.

Hope Barny will feel much better now that he's gotten rid of all his bad teeth!

Kirsten

I'm sure it has something to do with heredity. Most our cats were park ferals and no telling what nutrition their moms received before we came along. We try and keep on their teeth, but with 25 cats it's not always easy. I feel lucky that I even notice when one doesn't seem quite themself! :)

Barny seems to be doing quite well. Hopefully this will ease all his discomfort once healed. Thanks!

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-10-2006, 01:38 PM
How is Barny now? Can he eat dry food already? Or just wet food? Poor boy :(

K & L
03-10-2006, 01:59 PM
How is Barny now? Can he eat dry food already? Or just wet food? Poor boy :(

Barny is doing very well. Actually they don't want him to eat wet food for awhile since it could get lodged in the pockets. Only dry food right now. Seems weird huh?

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-10-2006, 03:15 PM
Barny is doing very well. Actually they don't want him to eat wet food for awhile since it could get lodged in the pockets. Only dry food right now. Seems weird huh?

That IS weird, indeed! Hey, give him the senior food: that food is easier to chew, as it is made for older cats who don't have many teeth left!

K & L
03-10-2006, 03:22 PM
That IS weird, indeed! Hey, give him the senior food: that food is easier to chew, as it is made for older cats who don't have many teeth left!
Great idea!!! Thank you!!!