PDA

View Full Version : Should drafts be ridden?

CarrieB
03-05-2006, 11:15 PM
Draft horses were meant to be harnessed and used to pull carts and plows, but I keep seeing more and more people training them to be saddled. Do you guys think they should be riddnen?

My vote- yes, they look so pretty under saddle :)

Corinna
03-06-2006, 09:40 AM
I can't wait to get my shire some day. Iwill ride bare back and under cart

lbaker
03-06-2006, 09:49 AM
The last time I went riding (last June, sooo long ago) I rode Bud, a huge, gentle giant of a Clydesdale. He was so magnificant I went back the next day and went out again!

HollandLoppy89
03-06-2006, 08:49 PM
I kind of ride a big draft horse, but he's a haflinger/qh mix. He's so strong! He's awesome to ride, and loves it :)

CathyBogart
03-06-2006, 09:20 PM
My favorite horse that I ever rode was named Green, and he was a HUGE shire cross.

dab_20
03-07-2006, 05:14 PM
Yep. My friend got a new Clydsdale (sp?) cross. She rides him and he's soooo beautiful!!

lute
03-07-2006, 06:13 PM
i've not ridden a draft before but i hear they are pretty smooth under the saddle.

Sweet Sixy
03-08-2006, 08:14 PM
I've only ever ridden a draft cross. He was a dutch warmblood/belgian mix and he was great! It is interesting feeling as though your legs don't even come half way around the horse though, haha.

king2005
03-09-2006, 09:20 AM
Saddling a draft is fine. I knew one back at the barn & his owner was SCARED to death of a fast horse or a jumping horse. She got him as hes much slower & has NO will to run nor jump.

I thinking making a huge horse jump is wrong.

Miss Z
03-09-2006, 01:56 PM
Hmmm, yes and no. They're fine for doing light work, and they make a very gentle and safe mount. However, these horses were not designed to be ridden. They were designed to have pulling power, ie: a strong back, deep chest and relatively short legs in comparison to their body. Therefore, shoulder and hip movement is a little restricted, so long periods of cantering or galloping and too much jumping can really damage them. If you can find an extra-wide saddle to fit one, and you don't intend to do much more than hacking, then drafts would be OK. But there are heavy-type horses, such as cobs, which possess the gentle nature of drafts but have the ability to gallop and jump high.