PDA

View Full Version : I'm always cold!!

slleipnir
03-05-2006, 06:52 PM
What's wrong with me? I'm freezing like ALL the time. I have to wear a sweater all the time, but I'm still cold. Other people in the room would say it's warm or hot..but I'm COLD!! Do you think there is a reason for this?

Laura's Babies
03-05-2006, 07:16 PM
Yes, some of us are cold natured and some of us are hot natured. I am with you on the being cold. If the temp drops below 72*, I am COLD! To me, 65* is freezing... I keep my thermostat on 80* year round.

Catty1
03-05-2006, 07:24 PM
You could be lower in body fat than other folks...or be anemic.
Laughter is a good warmer - upper...and vacuuming ALWAYS warms me up.

And some folks are hot blooded and some ain't, as Laura said.

carole
03-05-2006, 07:28 PM
If you are really concerned have your thyroid checked, that condition can make you feel the cold, however i seriously doubt you have that, as you have not suggested you have any other symptons that go along with it, maybe you have poor circulation , who know's or you just feel the cold more than anyone else. :)

slleipnir
03-05-2006, 07:32 PM
It seems like a recent thing...so, I don't know...

rosethecopycat
03-05-2006, 07:34 PM
Ah, I know what it is.

I see that you are premenapausal, by your BD.

As am I, I have been assured by many women that we will be cold until menopause. Then we won't be cold any more, we might be hot and sweaty. :(

I can't imagine that happening to me, but I guess I'll wait and see. Sorry to say you have a much longer wait than I.
I wear two sweaters in the house, and I'm in Florida :eek:

luvofallhorses
03-05-2006, 07:36 PM
I am the same way. I have been that way all of my life.

slleipnir
03-05-2006, 07:46 PM
I looked up anemia...

Anemia is a decrease in the number of your red blood cells, and while there are a number of causes, the most common is iron deficiency. You may not have symptoms if you are mildly anemic, and even if you do, they may go undetected or be mistaken for something else.

Steps:
1. Examine your skin tone. Do you have very pale skin color? Even if you have a dark complexion, your lips may be pale and your skin may appear "washed out." (no, I don't think I have this)

2. Consider whether you are fatigued or irritable all of the time. These are common symptoms of anemia. (yes, all the time...)

3. Ask yourself whether you have frequent headaches or loss of appetite. These are usually early signs of anemia. (I get headaches a lot)

4. Consider if you've been constipated - also an early symptom, and may occur without any change in dietary habits. (no)

5. Consider whether it is difficult for you to concentrate. This can affect your work and/or school performance. (yes, very much so)

6. Ask yourself whether you're craving unusual foods. This is called pica, and you may find yourself craving very bizarre non-foods, such as soil and paper. (no...I don't think so)

7. Take note of your moods. Anemia can bring on feelings of depression.(Yes)

8. Consider whether you've been short of breath. Red blood cells are a vital part of the respiratory process, and this symptom may occur when anemia is moderate to severe. (Don't think so)

9. Take note of whether you feel a sense of coldness in your extremities. This may be caused by poor circulation as a result of anemia. (yesss....)

10. As yourself if you've been feeling weak and/or dizzy. In severe cases, you may feel too weak to get out of bed, and dizzy when you do get up. (sometimes...)

Vette
03-05-2006, 07:56 PM
Im the opposite. i can sit up at my computer desk in a t-shirt and not realize how cold i am till i touch someone else and theyll say 'ohhh your hand is freezing'

and when its hot,, i adjust. i go up stairs on hot days.. and it always gets at lesat a good 12° wamer then the rest of the house up there. my dad and brother wont venture up on hot days. chickens!!

buttercup132
03-05-2006, 08:19 PM
I looked up anemia...

Anemia is a decrease in the number of your red blood cells, and while there are a number of causes, the most common is iron deficiency. You may not have symptoms if you are mildly anemic, and even if you do, they may go undetected or be mistaken for something else.

Steps:
1. Examine your skin tone. Do you have very pale skin color? Even if you have a dark complexion, your lips may be pale and your skin may appear "washed out." (I'm not sure I go pale in the winter and really tan in the summer:S)

2. Consider whether you are fatigued or irritable all of the time. These are common symptoms of anemia. (YES ALL THE TIME..my parents want me to go to the doctors for it...)
3. Ask yourself whether you have frequent headaches or loss of appetite. These are usually early signs of anemia. (umm a little bit of loss of appitie sometimes but rarley)

4. Consider if you've been constipated - also an early symptom, and may occur without any change in dietary habits. (no)

5. Consider whether it is difficult for you to concentrate. This can affect your work and/or school performance. (YES!!!!!)

6. Ask yourself whether you're craving unusual foods. This is called pica, and you may find yourself craving very bizarre non-foods, such as soil and paper. (haha soil ...no!)

7. Take note of your moods. Anemia can bring on feelings of depression.(Yes, but not despresed more anger)

8. Consider whether you've been short of breath. Red blood cells are a vital part of the respiratory process, and this symptom may occur when anemia is moderate to severe. (Ya sometimes)

9. Take note of whether you feel a sense of coldness in your extremities. This may be caused by poor circulation as a result of anemia. (yesss....)

10. As yourself if you've been feeling weak and/or dizzy. In severe cases, you may feel too weak to get out of bed, and dizzy when you do get up. (I was worse before but know its not so often it happens every so often for a month or so then goes))
Oh my I think I have this...look...
1. Examine your skin tone. Do you have very pale skin color? Even if you have a dark complexion, your lips may be pale and your skin may appear "washed out." (I'm not sure I go pale in the winter and really tan in the summer:S)

2. Consider whether you are fatigued or irritable all of the time. These are common symptoms of anemia. (YES ALL THE TIME..my parents want me to go to the doctors for it...)
3. Ask yourself whether you have frequent headaches or loss of appetite. These are usually early signs of anemia. (umm a little bit of loss of appitie sometimes but rarley)

5. Consider whether it is difficult for you to concentrate. This can affect your work and/or school performance. (YES!!!!!)

6. Ask yourself whether you're craving unusual foods. This is called pica, and you may find yourself craving very bizarre non-foods, such as soil and paper. (haha soil ...no!)

7. Take note of your moods. Anemia can bring on feelings of depression.(Yes, but not despresed more anger)

8. Consider whether you've been short of breath. Red blood cells are a vital part of the respiratory process, and this symptom may occur when anemia is moderate to severe. (Ya sometimes)

10. As yourself if you've been feeling weak and/or dizzy. In severe cases, you may feel too weak to get out of bed, and dizzy when you do get up. (I was worse before but know its not so often it happens every so often for a month or so then goes))
Also I have a disease in my hands and toes I'm not sure how to spell it and I'm not going to attempt but it starts with a R and it's where the blood cells dotn get to your fingers and toes properly so my fingers and toes are ALWAYS cold even in very hot temeratures and get cold very fast!

Karen
03-05-2006, 08:25 PM
Anemia is pretty common, especially in teenage women, it seems. Something to get checked out.

Easy way and free way to check? If there's a blood drive going on, they check your blood for anemia - if you have it, they won't let you donate, if you don't have it, you'll know that's not it, and have the plus of being able to donate blood and maybe save a life! ;)

Just saves the expense and wait of making a doctor's appointment, but if you have it, you should see a doctor anyway. It's easily fixed, once you know.

Though as was mentioned, some people do have a normally higher body temperature than others. Make sure your hands and feet are warm - good fuzzy socks, mittens, not gloves ... can't hurt!

My body temperature is normally lower than most people's, so much that I always have to ask if "normal" is 98.6 or 96.8. I know that it's 98.6, but I'm lucky if I hit 97, unless I am sick.

MariaM
03-05-2006, 09:16 PM
I am cold ALL the time...sometimes I sit on the computer and get really really hot though, like my cheeks burn up. It's just the way I am I guess, I'm not really worried. I know I have poor circulation, my hands (legs etc) are always purple.

king2005
03-05-2006, 09:57 PM
I'm cold a lot of the time too. But if I run or jog a block I get SUPER hot!... Most times when I feel really cold, my finger & toe nails go blue.. However I have seen my finger & toe nails go blue when I'm not feeling all that cold.

slleipnir
03-05-2006, 10:05 PM
I figure I would have always been like this if I had a higher body temp or whatever....I think it started sometime over the winter...I was thinking of just getting iron/vitaim pills...

Daisy and Delilah
03-05-2006, 10:19 PM
I've had a problem with anemia for years and anemia was my first thought too. I had to have iron injections for about a year. It's finally under control but I still have to take 3 iron tablets a day. I went to a Hematologist to get the diagnosis.
Audrey: I wouldn't take iron without some bloodwork first if I were you. In some cases you can get iron poisoning. Another thing..certain types of iron will do a number on your stomach. You take the chance of getting cramps, constipation(among other things). I would get to the doctor and get some tests done if I were you to be on the safe side.
Lastly....I'm a really hot natured person and when I was anemic, I was freezing all the time. I hope you have nothing wrong and you can warm up soon :)

buckner
03-05-2006, 10:19 PM
Also I have a disease in my hands and toes I'm not sure how to spell it and I'm not going to attempt but it starts with a R and it's where the blood cells dotn get to your fingers and toes properly so my fingers and toes are ALWAYS cold even in very hot temeratures and get cold very fast!
I believe you're referring to Raynaud's disease. About a month ago, I was going through one of our large medical books looking for reasons for the pain I was having, and I randomly turned to Raynaud's and thought "ohh, I have this!". It's when your extremities go cold for unknown and known reasons - like, if you touch something cold, your hand goes cold, but why does it take 10 minutes for it to warm back up in a normal enviroment?

Here's a website I found, and it's referred to as Raynaud's Phenomenon.
http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/diseases/raynaud.html

I, too, am ALWAYS cold. Before I lost so much weight, I was always fine - I hated warm weather because I'd easily get hot. Now, I'm not liking this weather so much because I can never warm up! Friday morning, we were clearing out the garage of a house and because I just had surgery less than 2 weeks ago, I could lift the boxes or files just yet... so I was just standing there. I stood there so long, shivering, that every part of me was cold to the bone. I was in an out of consciousness, and it took me more than 3 hours to get back to "normal" with the heat on, a blanket on me, and drinking something cold with caffeine to try to get me to perk back up. I was slurring my speech, my eyes were glazed.. it was really freaky, my mom was scared to death. But I stood outside, in the garage (which was better than standing outside of the garage, but still, the garage door was up) with a sweatshirt, shoes, and jeans on, and I even put on a coat over my sweatshirt - I was SOOO cold. Everyone else was fine, which shows that I don't tolerate the cold very well for some reason. My fingernails are almost always purple - no sense in painting them! I was in the ER room a few weeks ago, and my doctor was disturbed that my skin was yellow and my fingernails were purple - she pushed on the skin around my ankles and it didn't go white or red - just stayed yellow... and she looked at my hands and pushed on the skin, and it stayed the same colour.. and she was like "that's not normal". Oh well.

Audrey, I suggest just bundling up! Googling your symptoms won't be wise. If you're worried about this, talk with your doctor. They can do a simple blood test and see if something is wrong.

catnapper
03-06-2006, 08:30 AM
Gosh, I have the exact opposite problem. My hosue is set at 62 degrees and for the most part I find that comfy and actually at times feel its too warm. :eek:

Though it does sound as if you might have a problem with anemia.

jackie
03-06-2006, 11:05 AM
People with fast metabolisms usually feel cold more often, people with slow metabolisms produce more body heat.

finn's mom
03-06-2006, 11:09 AM
I was anemic before, but, have been controlling it with vitamins and making sure to eat a lot iron rich food...but, i've been slacking lately, and, have noticed a change again. But, I also have low blood pressure and every doctor has told me that can have an affect on how cold you feel...especially in your extremities...or digits, rather. my fingers and toes are always cold. ;)

anna_66
03-06-2006, 12:33 PM
When I was your age I was quite the opposite, but since I've gotten older I get/stay cold much longer/easier and my nose, hands and feet are almost always cold.
I did have tests done and I'm not anemic and now that I don't have a thyroid and have regular testing done (and take my meds) I know it's not from that either.
I just try to keep myself warm by taking hot showers, then bundling up afterwards in my heated throw (http://www3.jcpenney.com/jcp/ProductsHOM.aspx?DeptID=25436&CatID=29147&CatTyp=DEP&ItemTyp=G&GrpTyp=STY&ItemID=0e165af&ProdSeq=1&ProdCount=3&Dep=Bed+%26amp%3b+Bath&RefPage=SearchDepartment&ShowMenu=T&ShopBy=0&SearchString=electric+throw&S4DeptID=25436&CmCatId=EXTERNAL|SearchDepartment). I always wear socks, even to bed sometimes where I also have a heated blanket!

If you think this coldness is not normal and haven't been feeling yourself I'd suggest you have a checkup.
Good Luck getting warm:D

carole
03-06-2006, 01:44 PM
Audrey just take yourself along to a doctor and get some blood work done to make sure, self diagnosis is always a little dangerous IMO, it could be as simple as that is just you, or that you need some iron, the list goes on and on, but the safest way is to have the tests done and put your mind at ease too., so many conditions mimic each other, only a professional will beable to tell you what is what. :)

lv4dogs
03-06-2006, 01:51 PM
I am always cold too, but I've been like that forever.

My Peanuts
03-06-2006, 01:53 PM
I have a condition called Raynauds Phenomenon or Raynauds Disease. It's a circulation disease and it's really no big deal if you have primary Raynauds. My hands, feel, ears, and tip of my nose have narrow capillaries and sometimes turn blue or purple. There is a much higher threat of frost bite. I used to be cold all the time, but now I don't get as many attacks anymore. There are severe forms of it where people can't even pick up cold pop cans.

You should get it checked out. For me all they did was take some blood and look at my fingers under a microscope. Raynauds can sometimes hide other diseases/problems. Mine is just what it is and isn't hiding anything, but it's good to get checked out. You may very well have it. If you Google it there is tons of info on it. Look at the symptoms and see if they fit what you are experiencing. I got diagnosed because my boyfriend's dog bit me and I needed a tetanus shot and my hands turned purple in the office. They sent me to two hospitals to get checked out.
Good luck!

Miss Z
03-06-2006, 02:31 PM
Heehee, i'm always cold, but just due to the fact that i live in Lancashire where we almost always have biting winds and freezing rain. When the temperature goes above 5 degrees i would consider it rather warm!

I wouldn't know much about anaemia, but there are a few different kinds i think, with some more serious than others, so maybe it would be worth getting yourself checked out;)

slleipnir
03-06-2006, 05:31 PM
I guess you all are right...I really should see the doctor. I try to avoid him at all costs :o

king2005
03-06-2006, 06:13 PM
People with fast metabolisms usually feel cold more often, people with slow metabolisms produce more body heat.

then why am I so fat?? hehehe

dab_20
03-06-2006, 06:32 PM
Like everyone said, you might just be one of those people who get cold. In the winter I think it's cold in the teens in the summer I think it's cold like in the 60s.

Right now I'm ALWAYS cold. lol... ya'll probably didn't care.