PDA

View Full Version : Computer help!

catnapper
03-05-2006, 09:32 AM
Somehow our new computer got somethign thats acting funky -- and I just noticed a bunch of things in our "My Network Files" folder. Nobody put anythign htere but they are there. Every time I go to right click, it clogs up the system and nothing happens. I just check MY coputer and there is a lot of the same. How did these sites network themselves to us, and how do I un-network them?

Like I said, they keep freezing the system whenever I just try to cick on them. I waited forever after clicking and nothing happened, and usually have to control/alt/delete it to get out.

HELP!!!

Roxyluvsme13
03-05-2006, 09:49 AM
Kinda sounds like maybe a virus to me... :confused: (sorry I'm not much help!) Good Luck though :)

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-05-2006, 10:26 AM
That is a virus, no doubt! Better let someone take care of that before it ruins your system completely!!

Laura's Babies
03-05-2006, 11:09 AM
That is what it sounds like to me too... Have you done a virus scan? Do a virus scan and then a spy sweep and see what you come up with.

Here is where I go to get help with the stuff I can't handle...
http://www.mypcclinic.com/forums/index.php

I go there a lot just to read other people posts and have learned some stuff there.

RedHedd
03-05-2006, 12:03 PM
Yup, sounds like a virus or some really evil trojans or spyware apps. You do have a firewall, spyware and virus applications, right? Make sure all are updated and run them at least once a week.

Try running Ad-aware or Spybot search & Destroy (both free apps). Make sure your virus software is current with its virus definitions and run that too.

Craftlady
03-05-2006, 12:07 PM
adware (http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html) spybot (http://www.download.com/Spybot-Search-Destroy/3000-8022_4-10122137.html) I would run the antivirus software first than the anti-spyware.
Sounds like to me a virus :(
Both the above spywares are free :)
Great programs.
I actually use 3 those 2 and 1 more on my system. What one wont pick up another one will :)

Catty1
03-05-2006, 02:01 PM
I use Ad-Aware all the time. Free, and free updates.

If you want free virus ware, go to www.grisoft.com - or do a search for AVG Free.

Sounds like a nsaty virus!

Catty1

Jessika
03-05-2006, 02:51 PM
Are there any other computers on your network??

Oftentimes when I am on a network and try clicking folders/files on the network it will freeze the window sometimes because its "thinking". But its not viruses.

If you have other computers on the network, they may just be files from other computers, not necessarily anything on yours' at all.

But just to be safe, I would get a firewall and run your anti virus and spyware programs (Ad Aware and Spybot are NOT virus scanners though I do highly recommend using them frequently they are spyware programs NOT anti virus programs).

To un-network them, you can usually just delete them from the folder. Also besides a firewall turn all sharing on your computer OFF to prevent that from happening again.