PDA

View Full Version : Diabetes poll

Pam
03-05-2006, 07:59 AM
I was just reading Kim's post about costal chronditis and was surprised about how many people knew about this or had even experienced it. It made me think about diabetes. Of course everyone knows what that is, but I have been amazed lately at how widespread it is becoming. I do medical transcription for an ophthalmologist and lately it seems that a good bit of my typing has been taken over with people with diabetes and diabetic retinopathy. Of course people with known diabetes are apt to visit their ophthalmologist more diligently than other people, but it seems to me that it is increasing in the general public.

My daughter has developed gestational diabetes in this pregnancy (and also the last one) and I am wondering how many of you either have diabetes now or have had gestational diabetes when pregnant. Is this as widespread as it is seeming to me?

Christiansmommy
03-05-2006, 08:25 AM
Yes, I have gestational diabetes with this pregnancy and with my last pregnancy. I was able to control it with diet, and didn't need insulin with my previous pregnancy, and hopefully I will be able to do the same with this one. I have not started monitoring my blood yet, since I was just diagnosed...i go to diabetes education tomorrow and will get my blood glucose monitor then. I had to check my blood 7 times a day with my last pregnancy (my endocrynologist was pretty strict), but with this one, I should only have to check it 4 times a day...much nicer. I have already been doing the diet, since I found out I was pregnant months ago...just to be on the safe side. I would never drank something soooo sugary as the glucola they make you take for the test...so had I just continued with my diet, and never had the test, I think i would have been fine just eating right ( since I know how to eat for this diet already), but it does show that lots of sugar intake (like the glucola), my body just doesn't process right...being that it is gestational, it should go away after delivery and has more to do with my placenta and pregnancy hormones taking over...but i did have 2 great aunts who had diabetes, and my my 2 deceased grandparents had late-onset. I am glad in a way, to have it, so I know how to eat properly for the rest of my life to try to prevent getting Type 2. I am not overweight, so my endo. said that I could quite possible stop myself from developing Type 2, if I watch what I eat after pregnancy.

Miss Z
03-05-2006, 08:32 AM
My recently departed Grandad was diagnosed with diabetes at 80 and he lived with it for 4 years:(

Corinna
03-05-2006, 10:39 AM
I have type 2 I have had it for 12 years I was diagnosed when Tim was going through cancer treatments. most of my family has it . so far kids are not diagnosed but worry about pregnant daughter.

Ginger's Mom
03-05-2006, 11:12 AM
My sister has diabetes, she was diagnosed with it at age 30, and all of the females in my family seem to develop type 2 diabetes when they are in their sixties, so it is something I am aware of. After my sister was diagnosed I was had my blood sugar tested every two years and it was fine. Although I must admit it has been about six years since I last had it tested, I should probably look into it again.

davidpizzica
03-05-2006, 12:43 PM
I'm also type II diabetic. The doctor says that I'm a borderlne diabetic and I take Metformin and watch my diet.

luvofallhorses
03-05-2006, 01:10 PM
my mom has diabetes.

kimlovescats
03-05-2006, 01:13 PM
I also have Type II Diabetes. I was diagnosed only 2 years ago. Can't believe it's been that long already. Only this last few months have we finally found a med combo that is keeping my numbers where they need to be. I am on Actos Plus Met .... which is Actos along with Metformin. I had been on Metformin alone which helped but was not sufficient on its own. Of course I do not eat like I should or exercise enough. THis is one reason I started bowling, which I over-did to get the Costal Chondritis! Only I could do something like this! :rolleyes: ;)

Kim

Edwina's Secretary
03-05-2006, 01:35 PM
I never knew until two weeks ago that my grandmothers had diabetes! I was visiting my parents and my mother was telling me about some test she had and she was so sure she had become diabetic she went out and bought a bunch of cookbooks for diabetics...

Turned out she doesn't have it....but that led her to say....well your grandmother had it...in fact both your grandmothers did...

Catty1
03-05-2006, 02:04 PM
The increase in diabetes a lot of folks blame on what our North American diet has become.

Don't supersize and feed yourself the best quality stuff!

Even kids now are getting what used to be "adult" diseases. Scary.

I am on a nutrition program with Soy and stuff. Plan to stay that way! Anything to increase the odds of dying of just plain old age (God willing!). :D

Catty1

lizbud
03-05-2006, 04:51 PM
I'd have to say NO to all the poll questions.

krazyaboutkatz
03-05-2006, 05:00 PM
My Uncle has Type I juvenile diabetes. I think that my grandmother also had Type II diabetes later in life but I'm not sure.

Cataholic
03-05-2006, 07:09 PM
I had gestational diabetes, with a very late onset. In fact, I teased my doctor about really having it, since I didn't test for it initially, and only tested for it later via urine. Blood was always fine. I think it was his way of saying, "uh, no more weight gain there, sista'". Jonah WAS a biggie!

Diabetes doesn't run in my family, but, with gestational diabetes, I **think** I run a risk of developing diabetes later in life.

carole
03-05-2006, 07:26 PM
My father was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes this year, my sister is borderline and has to watch out she too does not become type 2, i had an uncle who had it as well, he died two years ago, and having diabetes did complicate things for him, so yes i keep a real close check on mine and have myself tested for it every now and then.

BitsyNaceyDog
03-05-2006, 08:53 PM
The only person in my family (that I know of) who is diabetic is my cousin who was diagnosed with juvenile diabetes when she was 11 years old.