PDA

View Full Version : A walk gone bad

animal_rescue
03-04-2006, 10:12 PM
Ugh, ok so today I get home for a 8 hour choreography/singing play practice and it was such a beautiful day I decide to take my girls for a walk.
So we go down the block and I'm walking past this house when I hear a noise like something running, no barking just like a sudden movement of running, I
think OMG dog and take off with Maggie and Roxie, well this huge
Mastiff mix comes running up to Maggie and rams right into her,
they get into it and I freak out, besides the fact t hat their in the middle of
the street, Roxie is heading right towards him and he could of easily killed her in one bite, then to add to the stress the dam dog's buddy, a rottweiler, comes flying out and goes after Roxie. Roxie screams and the owner comes running out to try and help. She chases the mastiff mix back into the yard because he started to go after Roxie, meanwhile Maggie is still in the street with the rott and I'm standing there like a stupid a$s crying because I didn't know what to do, the Rott stops and tries to go after Roxie
again, I ran over to her and picked her up, she was shaking like h*ll and I
was pissed, the lady gets her rott in the yard and I grab Maggie and run off down the street with them in tow. Maggie and Roxie weren't hurt but they were extremely bothered by the whole ordeal and I was too.
Maggie's hair wouldn't go down and Roxie was shaking for a long time.
And it hurt me so bad that I just froze there, why I did I don't know but it scared me so bad to see Maggie and Roxie in this position, it scared me not only because I thought they were going to be hurt but I thought I was going to see a repeat of what happened before(Maggie has been attacked and ripped open before and I had a previous min pin die from an attack by another dog). So I get home and try to calm myself down, Maggie and Roxie were giving me kisses like crazy, I checked them over again. Then I made us peanut butter sandwiches because I didn't know what else to do. We cuddled on the couch together and no I'm not going to do anything about the dogs.

But, I honestly think I've cried more this week than I have in my entire life, it seems like everything is going bad for me.

Karen
03-04-2006, 10:24 PM
No, sweetie, not everything is going bad. The two doggies and you are all okay, and in the end, that is what matters.

Snuggle your two blessing close to you and give them kisses or belly-rubs - whichever is their preference - from me, okay?

BC_MoM
03-04-2006, 10:48 PM
I sort of know how you feel. Last summer two JRT's went after Mickey.. the only reason I went after them was because they were small. I literally kicked them. I didn't care if they got hurt because the owners were being irrisponsible and LAUGHING about them attacking Mickey.

I would talk to the dog's owners if I were you, and I would threaten to report her. That could have been a child her dogs went after.

Alysser
03-04-2006, 10:50 PM
I would talk to the dog's owners if I were you, and I would threaten to report her. That could have been a child her dogs went after.

I agree! I hope that never happens agian! It must have been scary. :( :o

cyber-sibes
03-04-2006, 11:00 PM
I don't think you should talk to the owner, please read:

You or one of your parents should report it to the animal control. They will look into why these dogs were loose. You will not be getting anyone into trouble, this is their job, to be sure the streets are safe from dogs running free. Everyone should be able to walk their dogs safely.

This is what happened to me when I called animal control:
i had been walking my dogs when a big golden retriever ran out and attacked Star & Rosie. It chased us clear across the street, biting & snarling the whole time, grabbing Star over and over. They didn't look hurt, but at home I realized Star had blood around her mouth & chest and a puncture wound in her jaw, so I called animal control to see if the other dog had it's rabies tag. He came out, talked to me, then went & talked to the other dog owner. They had an electric fence but obviously that didn't contain the dog. Those people were told to also tie the dog or next time they would get fined. He called me back and told me yes, the other dog had its shots, so I didn't need to get rabies shots for Star, Thank God.

That's a very scarey situation, and you did what you could to keep them as safe as possible - it's a blessing you didn't get hurt.
(((((( hugs to you and your sweeties)))))

Flatcoatluver
03-04-2006, 11:13 PM
I am so sorry!! (((HUGS))) Its so scary.

A couple summers ago, before we had Zoey. I was babysitting a 4 year old boy and he was walking T.j. T.j is very good with kids. All the sudden a aussie came up and attacked us. All I could think of was yelling at the boy to run away. I was kicking the dog trying to protect t.j. When the aussie went after the child. T.j took after the aussie trying to protect the child, when a neighbor came out and shot the dog. I had cuts and scrapes all over me and so did t.j, luckily the boy was safe. But he was only 4 and should not have seen someone shoot the dog.

sammy101
03-04-2006, 11:20 PM
i'm sorry.That must have been very scarey.:({{hugs}} to you and your girls.
Something like that has never happened to me yet,and i hope it never does.My neighborhood doesnt have a problem with dogs getting loose,the odd one.If i see a loose dog(one that i havent met before..) then i turn around and walk away.i do b/c of situations like yours,i never want that happening.

buttercup132
03-05-2006, 06:12 AM
Wow thats scary! I'm glad they are ok. I know what yoiu mean by the freezing thing I did the same when Thunder ran into the road when a car was coming , it was the scariest thing in my life I didnt know what to do but scream Thunders name but I couldnt move ., its weird but I felt the same way and wondered why I just stood there I think its cause your in so much shock that you just shut down for a minute.

dogzr#1
03-05-2006, 07:02 AM
I'm sorry that happened to you. (((HUGS))) About last year the same thing happened to us. While we were walking Molly, Astra, and Prince, two dogs came out from a house where the mother and children were outside. The dogs started chasing us, and then when they got to us they went for Prince. I was scared because I was the one walking him. The mother didn't even do anything or apoligize. The kids came out running after their dogs trying to get them away but all this time the mother stood on the driveway.

Well at least you all are o.k.

Daisy and Delilah
03-05-2006, 07:41 AM
Gosh!! That must have been awful for you. I've been in that position before and it's no fun. I also just stood there and didn't know what to do. It's makes you feel totally helpless. I'm glad you and the babies are okay now. The best thing you could have done was what you did. Sit there and eat peanut butter sandwiches with them to take everybody's stress away. (((((HUGS)))))

anna_66
03-05-2006, 09:27 AM
I can imagine how scared you were for the dogs. I've had a rottie and now own a mastiff and OMG I really would have been terrified. So I can't blame how you reacted.
All that matters is that you and those two sweethearts of yours are fine.
I agree with Pat, I'd call animal control. These are two very large dogs and have no business being out of their yards.

Lots of hugs to you and the puppers.

moosmom
03-05-2006, 10:18 AM
Cyber-sibes is right. I'd report it to animal control and let them deal with it. Those dogs had no business being off leash, and the owner should at least get a warning, if not a ticket.

I was dog-sitting in Vermont years ago for some friends. Their house was up in the hills with maybe only 4 or 5 other houses around. I had Striker on the leash when all of a sudden, out of nowhere came this german shepard (Striker is also a GS). I dropped the leash so that Striker could defend himself and I could get outta the way. I, like you, felt helpless but was not about to get in the middle of it and break it up, taking the chance of getting bitten.

The only thing you could've done was exactly what you did. That is unless you happened to have a hose to turn on them.

Peanut butter sandwiches, LOL!!! I'm glad you and your precious pups are okay. Say nothing to the owner. But please, DO call Animal Control. That's what they are there for.

Ginger's Mom
03-05-2006, 11:38 AM
I am sorry to hear that happened. That is really scary. I don't know what I would have done in that situation either. I am glad to hear that you are all fine.

dab_20
03-05-2006, 12:32 PM
I'm so sorry that happened to you. ((hugs)) It must have been reall scary... it's ok that you just kinda froze. I would have done the same thing... there wasn't much you could've done. Don't beat yourself up for it.

More ((HUGS)) Feel better soon. :)

conans_in_heaven
03-05-2006, 01:17 PM
WOW! I'm SO sorry to hear this (*HUGS*) ! Somthing simalar happened to me and my family........................
WE were walking home from walgreens (2 blocks) when a doberman pup can out and started barking and growling at us! i could not think.i suddenly yelled NO!!!!!!!!!1 VERY LOUD! and the dog backed off! i was so blessed he did not attack!

I totally agree with others!!!!! CALL ANIMAL CONTROL!! what is the name of the humane socity near you? I'll get the number for you!

That must have been scary.......Glad you guys are alright :)

{{{HUGS}}}

~amanda

rg_girlca
03-05-2006, 01:35 PM
This thread really tugged at my heart. Your poor thing. How scared you must have been. I am so relieved to hear that your beloved dogs were not injured, just scared.

From what I read, quite a few have had a similar experience, myself included.
I was walking my Lhasa Apso Buddy along the side of my house toward the back lane when all of a sudden I looked up and this pit bull was running full force toward us. I grabbed Buddy up in my arms and almost dropped him as I was shaking like a leaf, and turned my back to the dog. The owner of the other dog was able to call his dog off, thank God, but I was just frozen in my tracks. After a few minutes I was able to compose myself and started yelling at the guy because he always has his dog off leash and this is not the first time this dog has done this.
I called our Animal Control and the guy got a nice fine and after that, he always had his dog on the leash.

I hope by now you have called the Animal Control. Maybe next time one or both of your dogs might not be so lucky or someone elses dog.

sandragonfly
03-05-2006, 01:43 PM
((((oh dear)))) sweet, since those gnarlefurs aren't very far away from you and you can't keep giving peanut butters, I think you should call! that is one reason why I called animal control on a neighdobermen so crayola and I'd not stuck in the house or fear everytime we try pass that house.

yes, I can imagine how icy you were - my heart froze but not my mind, oh my! I'd rather get bitten!!! and kick all I could in his face.. crayola's ear piece has ripped off and sew back on. nothing we paid, and that dog went gone to good home.

one thing though to think about, report it and have it on record and if it happens again, someone gets hurt this tim - who will pay?

(((hang in there))) glad everyone is not serious injuried!

Pembroke_Corgi
03-05-2006, 09:06 PM
That must have been terrible! I'm so sorry to hear that. I'm very glad that you and your dogs are ok, though.

One time Marta got attacked at the dog park, but luckily she wasn't hurt. I froze up, too, I was just so shocked I guess I didn't know what to do, and I felt really guilty afterwards for not kicking that dog off. Luckily my husband was there to get Marta away, but I cried and cried on the way home I was so upset, I think I was more scared than Marta.

I hope that you and your girls are feeling better. That must have been so terrifying, and the important thing is you all got away safely.