PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Express for email?

Laura's Babies
03-04-2006, 05:09 PM
That is what I use and I have hated it because you have to click on something to delete it and clicking on it, opens it. From time to time I have gotten some funny looking emails and did NOT want to open them so I would have to select all and delete everything, even things I wanted to keep... I recently found out HOW to do it.. Here are the instructions for the people like me who don't know what to do. I set mine like this and now I feel SOOoo much better!

"The Preview Pane in Outlook Express and MS Outlook can be a handy time saver as you can decide at a glance if you want to fully read an email, save it for later or just press "Delete".

However, you should be aware that some modern viruses are able to infect the computer even if the message is just viewed in the Preview Pane. The good news is that you can easily make the email client safer by switching off the Preview Pane.

To disable the Preview Pane in Outlook Express:
From the menu bar, click "View", and then click "Layout".
Uncheck the box labeled "Show Preview Pane".
Click "OK" to save the change.

To disable the Preview Pane in MS Outlook:
Click on the Inbox folder.
Select "View", and uncheck "Preview Pane."
Repeat the procedure for other Outlook folders.
If you really can't do without your Preview Pane, then at least be aware of the potential danger. And, of course, make sure that you have current anti-virus software protecting your system.

Write-up by Brett M.Christensen"

ChrisH
03-05-2006, 06:17 AM
Thanks. I quite like the preview pane for reading my messages, and have a filter on OE and my online mailbox that seems to keep out most of the rubbish. Nevertheless I can see the potenial danger with the stuff that does get through so I'll give the no preview a try.
Thanks again. :)

Roxyluvsme13
03-05-2006, 07:56 AM
Ugh I hate Outlook Express! (sorry for those who like it :o) It's really confusing and it never works for me, so I just use Hotmail.

smokey the elder
03-05-2006, 08:09 AM
At my work we have Outlook, with the preview as default. Fortunately the company firewall keeps out most of the malware, and they are diligent about patching Windows' many "holes".

RedHedd
03-05-2006, 12:06 PM
I used to keep the preview pane active, until some nasty stuff started going around. At work the preview pane in Outlook is turned off too. You get used to it (I have). I'd rather take a few yocto-seconds to click on an e-mail than spend hours recovering from a virus. Better to be safe than sorry IMHO.

kuhio98
03-05-2006, 01:54 PM
Can't stand the preview pane. I turn it off and keep it off. I'll read it when I'm good and ready! :p

Catty1
03-05-2006, 02:06 PM
Because I was travelling for work for so many years, I used web based email. (Yahoo, Hotmail, etc).

We use Outlook(not Express) at work.

I like web-based mail because if my computer goes on the fritz, I can go to a friend's place or the library - any computer at all - and check my email!

Jessika
03-05-2006, 02:47 PM
I don't use Outlook, I use Mozilla Thunderbird! I have never had a problem reading junkmail because it has such a powerful filter (the program itself, NOT my email!) that ALL junk mail gets filtered into the junk folder. Then I just go to the folder, select CTRL+A and delete them all without having to preview anything. :D