PDA

View Full Version : - Innova EVO (Email From Natura) -

Crazy-Cat-Lover
03-03-2006, 02:38 PM
Just thought I would post this for everyone that was wondering if they could feed Innova EVO to large breed puppies...

Dear Tasha,

Thank you for contacting us about our products. The Innova EVO can be fed to puppies, but you have heard right, we are not recommending it to large breed puppies. If you have a small or medium breed, the EVO would be completely fine. (We just offer a different feeding guideline to follow, rather than what's on the back of the bags, which is the chart for adults) ;-)

Here is an excerpt from a letter our Vice President, co-founder, and nutritionist Peter Atkins wrote that might help to further define the Innova EVO and large breed puppies/dogs:

Q. Is EVO Dog Food appropriate to feed to my large breed puppy?

A. No. There are specific products (e.g., Innova Large Breed Puppy) which are intentionally designed for the proper nutritional support of growing puppies with projected mature weights in excess of 60 lbs. EVO was not designed for this purpose.

Q. If it’s nutritionally dense and is effective for a small to medium breed puppy, why won’t it work for my large breed puppy?

A. For the large breed puppy the growth rate must be optimized not maximized, and the mineral balance must be tightly controlled to support skeletal growth. The most effective way in which to control these factors is through the judicious use of high quality carbohydrates.

Q. If I’m really conscientious, could EVO Dog Food work for my large breed puppy?

A. Yes, but generally not recommended. The alternative approach would be to limit the amount of food offered to puppies in an effort to control their growth rate. The challenge with this approach is that it requires a great deal of training and a strong “feel” for the proper size per age for the individual puppy.

Q. I work with puppies all the time, wouldn’t that make me qualified to know if I’m feeding too much or not enough?

A. Most folks, companion animal professionals included, simply don’t have the experience or psychic abilities to predict the perfect growth pattern for their pet. In the case of joint and skeletal problems, when the condition first appears, it’s too late; much damage has already been done. The other factor is our tendency to find rapid growth very gratifying. We feel we’re doing well by our animal. EVO Dog will tend to maximize growth. This could be harmful to the long term health and well being of your large breed puppy.

Q. Can I feed EVO Dog Food to my Adult or Senior Large Breed Dog?

A. Yes. Feeding EVO Dog Food to your adult large breed dog can work very nicely.

Q. What sort of guidelines should be considered if a low-carbohydrate diet is my preferred diet?

A. Evo Dog Food is a very small kibble, extremely palatable, and energy dense. Eating too fast and over-consumption could be real issues. We have however, recently released our large bite kibble, for the bigger dogs.

Q. Why would my dog eat too fast?

A. EVO Dog Food is a very small, palatable, and nutrient dense food. This is not a problem unless your dog eats very rapidly with little chewing. One reason that large breed dog foods are bigger piece-size foods is force these dogs to slow down and chew.

Q. If EVO dog is so energy dense, are the rest of the nutrients balanced for the needs of a large breed dog.

A. Yes – if fed at or near the recommended daily food allowance. This will assure that they receive the appropriate amount of energy and the rest of the nutrients (protein, fat, mineral, vitamins) are balanced according to the energy level of the food. Thus, if the dog is fed the weight appropriate amount of food, their daily nutrient requirements will be met.

Q. Will EVO Dog Food cause my dog to become fat?

A. Not by itself. If one treats EVO Dog Food like a lower energy food and feeds too much and your dog gets little to no exercise, then your dog could gain weight. On the other hand, if EVO dog food is fed to the appropriate level, your dog receives adequate exercise and plenty of fresh clean water daily, then they will likely not become overweight. In fact, they may become sleeker and better conditioned than if they were fed high-cereal foods.

So, I hope I have given enough information to adequately address your query. If you have any further questions or need additional information, please feel free to contact me at your convenience.

Please reference the original e-mail when responding.

Tammy Robnett-Illges
Customer Service

Natura Pet Products
1-800-532-7261

Crazy-Cat-Lover
03-03-2006, 03:07 PM
-- Bump --

Christiansmommy
03-03-2006, 03:09 PM
I wrote them asking them if I could feed it to Harlee (large breed puppy), back a year or so ago, and they said no, also. I plan to feed it to her when she is 2 years old or maybe even 2 1/2 to 3, b/c she will be fully mature by then. Her breeder doesn't even recommend puppy food for large breed pups, b/c it encourages too rapid of growth in their joints, and it can put stress on them unneccessarily...she has been on adult food since she was born, and is doing very nicely :)

lv4dogs
03-03-2006, 03:16 PM
Thanks for sharing this, I know it's been brought up frequently recently.

.sarah
03-03-2006, 06:38 PM
Thanks for posting, and of course for e-mailing them! I've chosen to feed Innova Large Breed Puppy food with the occasional raw bone. :)

IRescue452
03-03-2006, 07:24 PM
Its sounds like they are giving good and proper information. You shouldn't feed certain puppy foods to large breeds. What's the problem then?

K9soul
03-03-2006, 08:01 PM
No problem I don't think, I think it was just an FYI post for anyone interested.

I just started mine on EVO today (blending it into their regular food for a bit first as a transition). I'm hoping they will do well with the switch as I really like the nutritional value and feeding them something that is close to RAW in quality.

Crazy-Cat-Lover
03-04-2006, 02:28 AM
I just picked up the Eagle Pack Large & Giant Breed Puppy and two packages of chicken backs and necks. Yummy! :p I am going on spree on payday and buying a bunch of the necks and backs, they are only $2.50 for two very meaty pieces. The neck is left attached to the back. I was thinking of getting some raw buffalo bones, but they are $7.00! :eek:

Crazy-Cat-Lover
03-04-2006, 02:38 AM
Its sounds like they are giving good and proper information. You shouldn't feed certain puppy foods to large breeds. What's the problem then?

They say it's the same as feeding raw food to your dog. The problem is the fat and protein levels are much to high for a large or giant breed puppy to grow at a slow, proper rate. That's why I chose Eagle Pack - it is the only food with 8+ wellness supplements added. I will feel safe knowing I am feeding the only food every made that has been test-fed on 8 Dane litters from weaning to 18 months with no problems. It is also recommended by some of the worlds best Great Dane breeders. :)