PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE on Callie

CalliesMom
03-03-2006, 01:20 PM
Well I've decided that Callie isn't so bright. The vet called me about an hour ago and let me know they removed a small piece of green plastic from her stomach. :eek: :rolleyes: She is waking up nicely and her blood pressure remained good, despite her heart murmur. I'm so so happy that everything should be okay.

She still needs prayers to make sure her recovery goes well but at least the surgery is over. Thank you again PT for all your wonderful thoughts!

Catty1
03-03-2006, 01:38 PM
WAHOO!

Prayers for a fast and uneventful recovery!

hugs
Catty1

Laura's Babies
03-03-2006, 02:04 PM
WONDERFUL news!! Plastic huh? Must teach her not to eat that kind of stuff! Poor baby, I am so sorry she had to go through all that and pray for a full and speedy recovery.

RedHedd
03-03-2006, 02:53 PM
Oh Callie! You're not supposed to EAT the toys! Prayers going out for a speedy recovery!

lvpets2002
03-03-2006, 04:38 PM
:) Oh so glad the news is good on Callie & she is doing well & all.. Poor wittle baby && me & the girls send lots of whisker kisses, head bumps, prayers & ((((( HUGS )))))

kb2yjx
03-03-2006, 06:06 PM
So glad to hear that Callie is OK!!! I think eating weird things is an ORANGE cat trait!!! Ralph eats the curling ribbon, he can find it even if we hide the gifts!!! Will say prayers for Callie's recovery!!

catmandu
03-03-2006, 06:20 PM
Thank You for the Update and Heads Up.as I will scour the Hotel and through out any small or broken Cat Toys.
We are glad that Callies on the road to recovery,and some Pet Angels are with Callie now, helping her recover.

CalliesMom
03-03-2006, 06:48 PM
:rolleyes: I knew what Callie swallowed the moment I saw it. It was one of the parts to the toy mice. I was going to photograph it but I dropped it somewhere in the car and didn't feel like digging it out. She cost me about $2000 :eek: :eek: for a piece of plastic. Poor thing. I know she was completely miserable all week and I'm so grateful that they were able to find the reason.

I'm terrified now that one of the others will get sick. I just cannot afford another event like this in the near future. Shadow and Whisper are all up to date with their shots for the year and Shadow's thyroid medication appears to be working well. It's not too expensive and she's easy to pill.

Callie should be able to come home tomorrow or Sunday if all goes well. She has to have her stitches removed in two weeks and we're boarding her Tuesday-Saturday as no one will be here to watch her during the day. Hubby will be working 10+ hours/day and I don't want a catastrophe to happen and no one be there to check on her for that long.

I'll have to photograph her stitched belly. She looked so pathetic when we picked her up at our vet to take her to the emergency vet for the weekend. She was picking at her catheter :rolleyes: and was already trying to get out of the carrier. I'm going to go check on her tomorrow and pray we can bring her home. I miss her crying outside my door for her food at 6 AM. I am so glad she made it through the surgery.

Cat's Meowm
03-03-2006, 06:57 PM
Oh Callie's Mom - <Hugs> Two thousand dollars? :eek: Plus "storage?"
What a wonderful mama you are.
Kids - watch television, no more toys. *remember?*

Laura's Babies
03-03-2006, 07:10 PM
....and it was nothing she could have passed on her own and save you all that $$$$$. At least now she will recover and be OK and lets HOPE she learned her lesson and not eat things not meant to be eaten again!

krazyaboutkatz
03-04-2006, 01:13 AM
Sarah, I'm so sorry that Callie ate some plastic.:( I'm glad that her surgery went well and I'm sending lots of prayers and positive thoughts to her for a full and speedy recovery. I hope that she's now learned her lesson and that none of your cats will ever eat their toys again. Take care. (((HUGS)))

orangemm
03-04-2006, 05:59 AM
I'm relieved to hear that Callie is recovering nicely! Green plastic, huh? Do you know if the mouse was broken or was it something she chewed off of it?

I know this is a load off your shoulders. And, don't worry, she should be in good hands next week...maybe a little miffed, but definitely well taken care of!

$2000? Yikes! :eek:

Get better, sweet Callie!!

CalliesMom
03-04-2006, 06:53 AM
No it was a piece she chewed off. It's just kind of sad because I had called the Tuesday of the week before when I came home because I had found a piece of the toy in the hallway and there was no tail/rear end. She had vomited twice so I had made an appt. with the vet to bring her in the next day if it continued. She quit vomiting so I didn't take her in :(

She had continued to act strange but she still ate. There were too many variables for why she might have been acting that way 1) she was on a new thyroid medication and 2) I had switched them to new food. I figured she just didn't like her food and wouldn't eat as much of it but she still ate.

Last Sunday was when she began vomiting and I took her to the vet 8 AM on Monday. Between X-ray, ultrasound, fluids, anti-nausea medication, surgery, and recovery, she has become an expensive girl. :rolleyes: She was free and simply had to make it known she was worth A LOT in her Meowmie's eyes.

My husband initially told me we weren't going to do the surgery when I told him the price. After a few choice words on my part, he changed his mind and simply shook his head yesterday. LOL I'll have to take pictures of her Frankenstein belly this weekend though. Poor girl.

Catty1
03-04-2006, 09:11 AM
Calliesmom - I guess you don't qualify for any help from IMOM or something like that?

This reminds me of many years ago, when my sister's cream point, Meatball, had to be taken in to late night emergency because his breathing got bad.

After all the IV's and everything, and going to a regular vet the next day, the tab came to just under $1,000.

Darcia called my mom to fill her in and told her the price. Mom LOVES cats, and we got our love from her, but the price tag so initially shocked her that she first said, "Darcia, are you going to PAY that?"

"NO, mom," sis answered sarcastically, "I'm going to crush his skull with a rock! Of COURSE I am paying it."

We all know they are our furkids - what else would we do? :)

Glad Callie is on the mend!

hugs
Catty1

CalliesMom
03-04-2006, 10:34 AM
I called the clinic this morning and Callie is resting comfortably. I'm going to go see her this afternoon. The only thing that has me worried is that she hasn't eaten or drank anything. Wouldn't she at least be interested in water at this point? I know she is probably receiving fluids so that probably explains everything. I just want her fixed so she can come home. I misses my orange!

orangemm
03-04-2006, 10:36 AM
I guess my hubby would be shaking his head, too!

I'll do without a LOT to take care of my guys. Good for you!

momcat
03-04-2006, 10:45 AM
I'm so relieved to hear the news is good about Callie! Prayers continue to be prayed for her complete recovery. Here's hoping that Callie is home with you by the time you read this post. Get well soon headbumpies and scrttchies from Groucho and me. It sounds like tummy rubs will have to wait for awhile.

jazzcat
03-05-2006, 10:33 AM
I'm just now seeing this. Poor Callie and "ouch" to your pocketbook. Wow, that was an expensive snack on Callie's part. I'm so glad she made it through the surgery okay. Is she eating and drinking now? I remember when Ripley was very sick a few years ago and had to stay at the vet for a week I had to go visit him a couple of times a day to get him to eat. He wouldn't eat for anyone but me.

Hope she feels better and is home soon. Please keep us updated.

sandragonfly
03-05-2006, 11:30 AM
$2,000 greenie mouse?? :eek: that sucks big time! sorry.. :( ((((gentle)))) to you.

very glad it was found finally. didn't they had MRI or something like for organic xray? barium gastro series? - I think that could have helped!

gentle hugs to deer orangy callie please.

(catty, IMOM.org can't paid what are already paid. wish callie have knew about that organization earlier! but wouldn't that greenie piece embarrass us, donating for what she ate!?) :eek:

rg_girlca
03-05-2006, 02:02 PM
Callie my dear, you are suppose to play with your little mousies, not eat them. I hope you have learned your lesson.

Poor thing though. I'm glad to hear that the surgery went well and that Callie is resting comfortably.

:eek: $2,000 :eek: But Callie, you are worth every penny. :)

Prayers for a full and speedy recovery.

krazyaboutkatz
03-05-2006, 05:45 PM
Sarah, how is Callie doing today? Lots more prayers and positive thoughts are being sent her way.

Uabassoon
03-09-2006, 05:06 PM
I just saw this thread now. I know how crazy this can be! Last year my girlfriends cat Tuna ate a piece of plastic from a window pull and needed instestinal surgery to remove it. The bill was around $1,500! Since then he has made a full recovery and is still just as naughty as ever. My thoughts are with you!

christa
03-09-2006, 05:28 PM
Guess we must sort of be going through the same thing here. Such a sick feeling . . . I know I am sick with worry right now. How did you stand it?

I hope Callie continues to feel better. ;)