PDA

View Full Version : Community Service??

Roxyluvsme13
03-02-2006, 07:28 PM
Any ideas of what I could do for community service? I have to have 40 hours by the end of high school, and it would be nice to get started on it. I would love to volunteer at the shelter, but I can't till I'm 16. Any suggestions? :)

gini
03-02-2006, 07:35 PM
Does your school have an Interact Club? This is a high school club that is sponsored by your local Rotary Club. The clubs in our area are always busy doing many things that would be easy for your to participate in.

If not............

You could volunteer at a local grade school and read to the children. They usually love it! Do you know any teachers that you could talk to that might be able to direct you to the right opportunities. Perhaps you could help out with basic math tutoring - or another subject.

Do you have any churches nearby that serve the homeless? They are always looking for volunteers to help serve and clean up.

If your school asks for 40 hours of service are they also giving you ideas of where to start? Keep looking until you find something that you would love to do........then the volunteer work becomes a joy and fun.

Roxyluvsme13
03-02-2006, 07:38 PM
Honestly they said they are very flexible with what counts as community service...I still don't know what to do! :p

gini
03-02-2006, 07:42 PM
Start with this - what do you like to do? There have to be tons of opportunities out there - you will find one I am sure.

luvofallhorses
03-02-2006, 07:43 PM
volunteering at the animal shelter is community service, atleast I think. You could volunteer at a nursing home. I can't think of anything else. :o

Roxyluvsme13
03-02-2006, 07:44 PM
Start with this - what do you like to do? There have to be tons of opportunities out there - you will find one I am sure.
Things with animals, shopping, photography...

Alysser
03-02-2006, 07:48 PM
Sorry, Briana I doubt theres any community service that invovles shopping. Maybe a food pantry?

Corinna
Make your own spay nuter campaign using your talents and bake posters and post them around town and do a program for civic groups.

Roxyluvsme13
Make your own spay nuter campaign using your talents and bake posters and post them around town and do a program for civic groups.
I dont think that would count :(

Lizzie
03-02-2006, 07:57 PM
I used to volunteer at a thrift shop which supported animal causes and we would get high school students doing community service there. They mostly hung up the clothes and put things out on the shelves when they'd been priced. There was lots of talk about animals all the time in that shop and, best of all to the students, they got a discount on anything they bought. That would combine shopping and, sort of, animals.

Karen
03-02-2006, 07:59 PM
Ask your teacher for guidelines on what counts, then we can make more helpful suggestions. Libraries and Nursing Homes usually need volunteers.

You like shopping? If your town or city has a program that works with Senior Citizens, I bet you could volunteer to buy and deliver groceries to shut-ins. If the town doesn't, enquire at a church. Keep in mind that the interaction with the volunteer - the chance for a visitor - is equally important to shut-ins as the groceries, if not more important. Do you like old people? A lot of young people think they don't like old people, until they get to know some. Older people are often fascinating individuals with lots of stories to tell. Just think - 70 years ago, most people didn't even have television, and telephone were often "party lines." Think how much technology has changed - that's just one topic of conversation.

Chilli
03-02-2006, 08:08 PM
Would your local vet clinic let you volunteer? I know you said that the animal shetler requires you to be 16... but the vet might not. My sister used to volunteer at our vet clinic when she was fourteen.
Its probably different in your town, though!
I don't know anything else you could do besides that... I live in a smaller town and you can't do much here. :D

Roxyluvsme13
03-02-2006, 08:10 PM
Ask your teacher for guidelines on what counts, then we can make more helpful suggestions. Libraries and Nursing Homes usually need volunteers.

You like shopping? If your town or city has a program that works with Senior Citizens, I bet you could volunteer to buy and deliver groceries to shut-ins. If the town doesn't, enquire at a church. Keep in mind that the interaction with the volunteer - the chance for a visitor - is equally important to shut-ins as the groceries, if not more important. Do you like old people? A lot of young people think they don't like old people, until they get to know some. Older people are often fascinating individuals with lots of stories to tell. Just think - 70 years ago, most people didn't even have television, and telephone were often "party lines." Think how much technology has changed - that's just one topic of conversation.
Actually I love old people (as long as they're not TOO crazy :D)

Daisy and Delilah
03-02-2006, 08:18 PM
We have alot of junior volunteers at the library. They're a valuable resource there. As long as they're 12 years old they can qualify. It's great if you like to meet people and read. :)

Roxyluvsme13
03-02-2006, 08:20 PM
I should ask my vet. That would be perfect job experience, too since I do want to be a D.V.M.

Chilli
03-02-2006, 08:22 PM
I should ask my vet. That would be perfect job experience, too since I do want to be a D.V.M.

Yeah^^! Thats what helped my sister fully decide to become a vet. It'll also look good on your resume (sp?) when you're old enough to get a real job.

Roxyluvsme13
03-02-2006, 08:25 PM
:D I think I may do that....like maybe on the days my mom is off volunteering there from like 3-5 or something...IF they'll let me...:)

Chilli
03-02-2006, 08:27 PM
:D I think I may do that....like maybe on the days my mom is off volunteering there from like 3-5 or something...IF they'll let me...:)

I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope you get to volunteer there. I know it'd be awesome. My sister always came home talking about what she did that day, and everyday came with something new and exciting.
Good luck!! :D

Roxyluvsme13
03-02-2006, 08:28 PM
I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope you get to volunteer there. I know it'd be awesome. My sister always came home talking about what she did that day, and everyday came with something new and exciting.
Good luck!! :D
Lucky! I would get to spend time with animals, and hopefully get some vet experience, and I would get to see ALL KINDS OF ANIMALS! :D

Chilli
03-02-2006, 08:32 PM
Lucky! I would get to spend time with animals, and hopefully get some vet experience, and I would get to see ALL KINDS OF ANIMALS! :D

Yeah! My sister once told me about someone bringing their pet pot-bellied pig in to get her hoofs trimmed or something... and the pig wasn't a happy customer!!
I think the hardest part would be having to be around when they have to put an animal down. I'm sensitive, so I can't handle that very strongly.
You'll certainly get plenty of experiance.

Roxyluvsme13
03-02-2006, 08:33 PM
Yeah! My sister once told me about someone bringing their pet pot-bellied pig in to get her hoofs trimmed or something... and the pig wasn't a happy customer!!
I think the hardest part would be having to be around when they have to put an animal down. I'm sensitive, so I can't handle that very strongly.
You'll certainly get plenty of experiance.
That's why I was weary of deciding on even being a Vet. I didn't think I could handle that, and that I would come home bawling every day. I realized, that if it was for the better of the animal, and it would help them, that it would be for the best.

Chilli
03-02-2006, 08:35 PM
That's why I was weary of deciding on even being a Vet. I didn't think I could handle that, and that I would come home bawling every day. I realized, that if it was for the better of the animal, and it would help them, that it would be for the best.

Yeah, thats the way my sister thinks. I admire her for going into the profession... I'm sticking with art, I'm the under-achiever of the family^^!

Roxyluvsme13
03-02-2006, 08:36 PM
Yeah, thats the way my sister thinks. I admire her for going into the profession... I'm sticking with art, I'm the under-achiever of the family^^!
Your photography is AMAZING! :D

Chilli
03-02-2006, 08:38 PM
Your photography is AMAZING! :D

Thanks!! ^__^ That made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
I like your photography, too.
Art is the only way I can express myself without getting in trouble. :o

Roxyluvsme13
03-02-2006, 08:40 PM
Thanks!! ^__^ That made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
I like your photography, too.
Art is the only way I can express myself without getting in trouble. :o
Aww, and thanks!
I loooove photography, but I better stick more to Vet-ness! I wanted to be a vet since I was 4. I used to play doctor on my poor stuffed animals. They always had tissue casts and smelled like lotion! :D

Chilli
03-02-2006, 08:45 PM
Aww, and thanks!
I loooove photography, but I better stick more to Vet-ness! I wanted to be a vet since I was 4. I used to play doctor on my poor stuffed animals. They always had tissue casts and smelled like lotion! :D

Lol! When I was four, I was the kind who was terrified of dogs! Actually, I was afraid of most animals! :o
Can you believe that?! Me, the one that lives in a house that currently has three dogs, two cats, a hamster, and a bird!!
My parents said that I've always had artistic abilities, though.

Roxyluvsme13
03-02-2006, 08:47 PM
Lol! When I was four, I was the kind who was terrified of dogs! Actually, I was afraid of most animals! :o
Can you believe that?! Me, the one that lives in a house that currently has three dogs, two cats, a hamster, and a bird!!
My parents said that I've always had artistic abilities, though.
Yay art. My mom is an artist/nurse. She draws in her spare time. (she rarely has any though :() I can't believe u were afriad of animals! I used to go around pretending to be a dog :o

Chilli
03-02-2006, 08:48 PM
Yay art. My mom is an artist/nurse. She draws in her spare time. (she rarely has any though :() I can't believe u were afriad of animals! I used to go around pretending to be a dog :o

My mum is a nurse at a nursing home... none of my parents appear to have any artistic abilities.. though my father says that his mum had some (I never got to meet her).
My friend used to act like a dog... just last year! :D She has her moments.

Roxyluvsme13
03-02-2006, 08:50 PM
My mum is a nurse at a nursing home... none of my parents appear to have any artistic abilities.. though my father says that his mum had some (I never got to meet her).
My friend used to act like a dog... just last year! :D She has her moments.
lol! I still act like a dog around Lily, and I dont think I inherited my moms drawing ability! :p

Chilli
03-02-2006, 08:53 PM
lol! I still act like a dog around Lily, and I dont think I inherited my moms drawing ability! :p

The closest I come to acting like a dog is when I'm playing with the dogs. My father taught Ethan to bark, but only if you bark at him first. :rolleyes: So my family looks rather unique, barking at our own dogs! :D

Roxyluvsme13
03-02-2006, 08:55 PM
The closest I come to acting like a dog is when I'm playing with the dogs. My father taught Ethan to bark, but only if you bark at him first. :rolleyes: So my family looks rather unique, barking at our own dogs! :D
lol! If you surprise Lily she barks, but she doesnt really bark that much. When we came in tonight she started yapping like a car alarm. :rolleyes:
(she thinks shes a big Rottie!)

Chilli
03-02-2006, 08:56 PM
lol! If you surprise Lily she barks, but she doesnt really bark that much. When we came in tonight she started yapping like a car alarm. :rolleyes:

Frisk is the same way. He's the smallest dog in the house, but he acts like the biggest! I love the big dogs trapped in the little dog's body. :D

Roxyluvsme13
03-02-2006, 09:00 PM
EXACTLY! Its too cute! :D

Cat's Meowm
03-02-2006, 09:22 PM
I had a friend a long time ago that had a fifteen pound brindle-colored mutt named Wolf. He knew about 20 tricks, but my favorite was when he whispered. First he would speak - loud bark - then my friend would go *Shhh* and Wolf would bark really softly. He was a great dog! RIP, Wolf.

Roxyluvsme13
03-02-2006, 09:23 PM
???

G.P.girl
03-02-2006, 09:33 PM
-ooh you're lucky you only have to do 40 in 4 years.
I have to do 120 hours in my junior and senior year (not counting summer before junior year)

But usually the couseling center at your school ( or career center if you have one) has some ideas and contact info or you could find out what your friends are doing and volunteer with them, that makes everything more fun! ;)

Almita
03-02-2006, 09:44 PM
Same here for Girl Scouts I have to do 120 hours and I have around 20 so far. I work at a vet since my sister-in-law is a vet and I help with the animals that need homes and the ones that are going to get ready for a check up I washed them walked them and feed them and if they needed medications for the virus and kennel cough I gave it to them I worked with small dogs, big dogs and also cats. I'm also working at a shelter since you can be 14 over here and I'm working with them with files since I love doing that and working with the animals inside that need to be walked and fed etc.... Also I work at a place where the homeless can go and eat and also people to buy food and the money goes to the homeless and the children that need help in our world we sort the food. Take the buyers to the stations and all that fun stuff. I love doing community services. It's something I do in my spare time!

Almita
03-02-2006, 09:45 PM
I had a friend a long time ago that had a fifteen pound brindle-colored mutt named Wolf. He knew about 20 tricks, but my favorite was when he whispered. First he would speak - loud bark - then my friend would go *Shhh* and Wolf would bark really softly. He was a great dog! RIP, Wolf.

:confused: I'm a little confused what is this related about community service?!

G.P.girl
03-02-2006, 10:19 PM
It probably goes along with everyone else who was talking about dogs:

Originally Posted by Chilli
The closest I come to acting like a dog is when I'm playing with the dogs. My father taught Ethan to bark, but only if you bark at him first. So my family looks rather unique, barking at our own dogs!

Originally Posted by Roxyluvsme13
lol! If you surprise Lily she barks, but she doesnt really bark that much. When we came in tonight she started yapping like a car alarm.

Originally Posted by Chilli
Frisk is the same way. He's the smallest dog in the house, but he acts like the biggest! I love the big dogs trapped in the little dog's body.

G.P.girl
03-02-2006, 10:21 PM
I love doing community services. It's something I do in my spare time!

Same! I cant start mine until next year, but i've already been volunteering at a bunch of places. its a good thing to do.

Almita
03-02-2006, 10:24 PM
Same! I cant start mine until next year, but i've already been volunteering at a bunch of places. its a good thing to do.

Ya like for high school I can't start until next year also and I just love doing it and wish I could do it now and have it count! Its a fun thing to do to help people/pets and etc...

Roxyluvsme13
03-03-2006, 08:36 AM
Thank you everybody!!! :)
I have some ideas :D