PDA

View Full Version : what will they come up with next?!....

lute
03-02-2006, 06:17 PM
i was researching designer dogs and i came across a site that has popular cross breeds. everyone is pretty familiar with "breeds" such as the labradoodle, goldendoodle, puggle, etc. well what do you think of these?

Ba-Shar (basset hound/shar pei)
pics here (http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/bashar.htm)

Bassugg (basset hound/pug)
pics here (http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/bassugg.htm)

Boglen Terrier (boston terrier/beagle)
pics here (http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/boglenterrier.htm)

Bordernese (border collie/bernese mountain dog)
pics here (http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/bordernese.htm)

Glechon (beagle/bichon frise)
pics here (http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/glechon.htm)

you can see a ton more here (http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/poodlemix.htm)
ya know i was thinkin, if you can breed two breeds together and get a dog you can register. shelter dogs can use this to their advantage. instead of having a mixed breed for adoption, give it a breed name and people will adopt it! :rolleyes:

Alysser
03-02-2006, 06:19 PM
:(

IRescue452
03-02-2006, 08:06 PM
They are adorable, but people need to realize that "adorable" can be adopted from the shelter too.

Roxyluvsme13
03-02-2006, 08:08 PM
They are adorable, but people need to realize that "adorable" can be adopted from the shelter too.
I was going ot say almost exactly that.
As I always say, they're MUTTS!!!
:(

muddy paws
03-02-2006, 08:10 PM
Makes me grid my teeth, turn red, and crease my eyebrows! :mad: UGH!

They are adorable... but they're... mutts. Theyre just adding to the population!

lute
03-02-2006, 08:58 PM
They are adorable... but they're... mutts. Theyre just adding to the population!
i feel the same way!

Flatcoatluver
03-02-2006, 09:01 PM
:mad:

Chilli
03-02-2006, 09:10 PM
Yeah, its insane how people pay $100+ for a mutt that you can find the same exact mix in a shelter.
I recently found out that my Frisk is a Pugat "usually called a Miniature Boxer", apparently. :rolleyes:
Click here (http://puppyhavenkennel.com/puppy_descrip_frame.htm) for the page from some kennel that breeds them. They are second on the list.
*sarcasm* I must have found a good deal because I only paid $40 for my PUGAT!! :o :rolleyes:
Sorry, I couldn't resist! :D Frisk was from a breeder, but he was also from an accidental litter. Him and his brother were the only mutts on all the property!

Sadly, a friend of mine's family has gotten into the designer dog craze. They breed Cockapoos right now (along with Cockers and Dachshunds), and plan on getting more breeds to breed with thier poodles. :(

dab_20
03-02-2006, 09:35 PM
:rolleyes:

Jessika
03-02-2006, 09:49 PM
instead of having a mixed breed for adoption, give it a breed name and people will adopt it! :rolleyes:
You know, that is very true. Hmmmm. :)

At least they have a "disclaimer" of sorts at the top of the pages saying that they are NOT purebred and are just mixes.

The Bordernese is actually very, very cute, but not if it were bred on purpose.

luvofallhorses
03-02-2006, 10:57 PM
:rolleyes: why don't they just call them mutts? :confused: that's what they are! I do think the "bassug" is cute, though.

*sled_dog*
03-02-2006, 11:00 PM
instead of having a mixed breed for adoption, give it a breed name and people will adopt it! :rolleyes:

I also think that is very true. It is just so sad to know that these dogs in shelters are being put down, while pretty much the same breed, or should I say MUTT, is being created!!! :(

(Sometimes I wish they'ed make it illegal to breed 2 different breeds together! :p ;) )

buttercup132
03-03-2006, 06:54 AM
I actually phoned a guy up who was advertising in the paper once the add said
"RARE Border Collie cross" So I phoned hoim up cause it ticked me off so bad!
I asked what was SO rare about them he said well you see this time the mom is a Border collie and the dad is a Black lab so the puppies have white on their chest..I was lik are ou kidding me! thats the stupidest reason I've ever herd!He was also sellling them for 250 each..so I told him about how there the exact same dogs as his in the pound...some people are just so stupid...

dab_20
03-03-2006, 07:45 AM
I actually phoned a guy up who was advertising in the paper once the add said
"RARE Border Collie cross" So I phoned hoim up cause it ticked me off so bad!
I asked what was SO rare about them he said well you see this time the mom is a Border collie and the dad is a Black lab so the puppies have white on their chest..I was lik are ou kidding me! thats the stupidest reason I've ever herd!He was also sellling them for 250 each..so I told him about how there the exact same dogs as his in the pound...some people are just so stupid...

Thats really stupid of him!! :mad: What some people will do for money... :rolleyes:

lv4dogs
03-03-2006, 09:02 AM
I had no idea that they now have a "American Canine Hybrid Club". :mad: :( :mad: I just can't believe it, that is way too sad.

Suki Wingy
03-03-2006, 09:07 AM
We NEED to teach them. I can probably find the exact same dog in the shelter that the people bought two weeks ago, found out a puppy means WORK, and then dumped him there, but for about $50 instead of $250.
I agree breeding two different breeds should be illigal. In Germany GSDs have to have a herding title before they can be bred, even the conformation ones. I certainly won't breed a dal before he's proven himself st hock or axel. (horse or carrage) If he doesn't have propper structure he can't run. It's funny how they say it's to keep the gene pools large, that's great, ever heard of OUTCROSSING?? :cry:

Pawsitive Thinking
03-03-2006, 09:11 AM
ya know i was thinkin, if you can breed two breeds together and get a dog you can register. shelter dogs can use this to their advantage. instead of having a mixed breed for adoption, give it a breed name and people will adopt it!

I like this idea - some people are so dim that they will buy anything as long as its "designer" - but on the other hand are they the sort of people who should be caring for our canine friends?

lute
03-03-2006, 09:50 AM
(Sometimes I wish they'ed make it illegal to breed 2 different breeds together! :p ;) )
AMEN! i'm all for that! :)

BOBS DAD
03-03-2006, 09:58 AM
While I am sure that if you own one of these dogs, you just simply fall in love with them. BUT C'MON... you gotta admit - those Basset Mixes are just KA-RAZZZYY looking. Somebody stop the madness!!!

Miss Z
03-03-2006, 12:02 PM
Wow, it seems you can cross anything with anything these days:rolleyes:

I had no idea that they now have a "American Canine Hybrid Club". :mad: :( :mad:

Yeah! That seems very pointless. So you could get a dog mixed with a bit of everything and get it registered as a 'breed'? Pathetic:mad:

Whilst these dogs are cute and if they are given a good home then there's not really much of an issue, but when there's so many homeless dogs around they should really be prioritised over pups that are mutts like them only with a price tag:mad: :(

lv4dogs
03-03-2006, 12:37 PM
Whilst these dogs are cute and if they are given a good home then there's not really much of an issue, but when there's so many homeless dogs around they should really be prioritised over pups that are mutts like them only with a price tag:mad: :(

You are so right but I just wanted to add that there is more to it than just that.

Another very important issue is that most these "breeders" that breed "designer breeds" are breeding poor specimans, therefore making them have more health problems. :(