PDA

View Full Version : Watch For Bad Breeders

lizbud
03-02-2006, 05:05 PM
State Goes After Puppy Breeding Business

POSTED: 3:09 pm EST March 2, 2006
UPDATED: 5:25 pm EST March 2, 2006

CLOVERDALE, Ind. -- The state is suing a southern Indiana woman and her Internet-based puppy breeding business.

The Indiana attorney general's office said Tammy Gilchrist operates a business in rural Owen County that fails to deliver puppies offered for sale and misrepresents the health or age of the puppies, among other allegations, Call 6's Rafael Sanchez reported.

The attorney general's office said it could document that 14 out-of-state customers either gave Gilchrist money for a puppy that was not received, never received a shipping refund, never received papers, or paid for and received a sick puppy that later died.

The state estimated that Gilchrist owes consumers and the state in excess of $65,000.

Officials said Gilchrist operates the business under several aliases and business names. Gilchrist told the state she will comply with consumer protection laws after learning of legal action pending against her, the attorney general's office said.

"There has been a history and pattern of behavior exhibited that resulted in a negative impact on consumers," said Attorney General Steve Carter.

The attorney general's office said Gilchrist has been operating under the following aliases.

Tammy Workman
Tammy Killea
Sam Workman
Samantha Workman

Officials said Gilchrist operated the following business names on various Web sites since October 2003.

AKA Kennel
TEKS Kennel
Puppysrus
Affordable Pups

The Better Business Bureau issued an alert in September 2005 after receiving complaints against TEKS Kennels.

Attorney Paul Watts said Gilchrist is not involved in any misconduct and is not running a puppy mill.

Consumers can follow some simple guidelines to avoid problems when dealing with breeders, Sanchez reported.

Potential customers should visit the breeder's kennel to see that it is clean and that the dogs are well fed and lively. Customers should also ask to see at least one of the dog's parents.

Responsible breeders frequently ask questions to make sure their dog is going to a good home. Customers should be wary of someone who will sell to anyone.

Reputable breeders should always deliver on promises involving American Kennel Club papers. If a breeder refuses to do so, it is a bad sign, Sanchez reported.

Karen
03-02-2006, 05:10 PM
Attorney Paul Watts said Gilchrist is not involved in any misconduct and is not running a puppy mill.

That Paul Watts has nothing to do with - and is in no way afiiliated with - MY Paul Watts, Administrator, Moderator and Founder of these websites, my husband and a non-attorney.

Just wanted to make that clarification as soon as possible.

lizbud
03-02-2006, 05:58 PM
Karen,

Good idea to post this notification. I didn't even think of the name
thing when I posted. Everyone here knows better than to think our Paul
would have anything to do with a puppy breeding business.

Lady's Human
03-02-2006, 06:23 PM
I hope most people would give Karen more credit than to think she married a lawyer. :D

Cinder & Smoke
03-02-2006, 10:19 PM
... more credit than to think she married a lawyer. :D

:eek:

Careful now!!

We have a PT Board Attorney here that a lot of us think a LOT OF ---
Miz Johanna is pretty well thought of in these parts!

;)

:D