PDA

View Full Version : Help my puppy just threw up a sock

golden mommy
03-02-2006, 12:32 PM
not only is this her 2nd sock in the last 2 weeks but she also threw up a pair of my 5 yr olds undies :eek: .

My vet knows about the sock 2 weeks ago and said my 13 week old pup was looking good. Just make sure she doen't get a hold of anymore. We have all been watching her closely and have no idea when she ate the socks & undies.

Now I wonder should I be concerned that she ate seveal and has more in her stomach? She has acted fine the entire time except she treied to throw up last night and then again this morning (actualy brought up the items then). She has eaten one bowl of food but not her usual 2 yet today. I don't know if I should take the wait and see approch or if I should take her in for exrays to make sure there is nothing more in her stomach.

Has anyone been thru this? Can anyone offer advice?

BOBS DAD
03-02-2006, 01:12 PM
13 weeks old and eating socks, undies, etc.. How big is your pup? How did she get them down? Anyways, it is good that they are coming up. I would watch closely as your vet suggested and perhaps keep her confined to an area where no socks or indies are lying about, but - if she doesn'r seem normal in a day or two - I would definitely take her into see the vet for xrays.

Karen
03-02-2006, 01:18 PM
Typical puppy - if it isn't nailed down, she'll eat it. If she hasn't pooped by this afternoon, seeing as she did eat this morning, a call to the vet's is in order. Then everyone in the family has to swear to be diligent about all laundry being puppy-inaccessible!

Scooby4
03-02-2006, 03:54 PM
I would also suggest making sure the dog has been checked for ring worm or other parasitic infestations. Believe it or not, animals will start eating "paper or wood" products when infected :eek: . It wouldn't be surprising if the puppy is trying to eat cotton the same way.
If this is NOT the case then survey your dog's toys. Are they mostly cloth? Try avoiding cloth toys and going for rubberized until older. The dog may be confusing the texture for your clothing. You can re-introduce the cloth toys later. This can also be the cause of alot of "shoe" chewing as well. Dog's can't differentiate their toys from what isn't. They see mostly in black and white and act on smells.

lv4dogs
03-03-2006, 09:38 AM
It could be the items she vomited that were causing her to vomit or could be somthing else, like a blockage, menaing she has some object in her that is causing an obstruction in her digestive tract.
If she is vomiting, especially because of the fact that is bringing up such items, not eating her usual amount and the fact that the weekend is here I strongly suggest you get her to your vet before this becomes a major problem, like ASAP. An emergancy vet on weekends will cause your pocket book to dwindle five times as fast as a regualr vet appointment.

I hope she's ok, but I'd better be safe than sorry, especially in this case.

golden mommy
03-03-2006, 01:19 PM
Thanks for all the advice.

Bailey is a 13 week old Golden Retreiver :) who now weighs 25 lbs. She is very oral and chews on everything. I will take the soft toys away and add a few more hard chews to her mix and see if that helps.

My kids are 5 & 8 and it has been my 5 yr olds socks she has eaten so they aren't huge but are big enough. Not only am I training Bailey but I am training my kids too :rolleyes: .

Bailey ate like a horse last night :D and so far today. She has had normal poos and is playing like nothing is wrong now. She had a check for parisites and we are all clear so that should not be the issue.

I think things are ok and if not my vet has Saturday hours just in case.

Thanks again.

lv4dogs
03-03-2006, 01:42 PM
Thats great news! Just keep a close eye on her, if she starts to act lethargic, starts to vomit or not eat etc... I'd get her to the vet. Oh & make sure things are coming out ok at the other end if you know what I mean. ;)

One word of advice is to keep her away from rawhides & the such for a while, until she knows what she can & can not chew on. Because a dog has to chew, chew, chew to make a rawhide tasty & edible it actually teaches a dog to chew. Making the dog think that if it chews on something long enough that it may also taste good after a while.
Also avoid toys that resemble household objects until she has learned what is allowed to chew on. It may just confuse the dog. For exapmle some of the rope toys resemble some trow rugs, old socks & shoes look like new socks & shoes to the dog, etc...

Good luck, she sounds like a cutie! (yes thats a hint that we need pics) ;)

steph
03-03-2006, 04:43 PM
hello there!!
puppies will chew and eat anything in site... you can buy a product called "bitter apple spray" its like an aerosol you spray around your clothes etc.. it smells nice and also stops puppies chewing furniture/clothes.

VTJess03
03-05-2006, 08:08 PM
Is it always one person's items that are swallowed? I know that when Belle was a puppy, she'd always carry around/chew on my !dirty! clothes that had been up against my skin (i.e. socks and undies). I read up on this behavior and it is supposedly a sign that they think of you as the alpha; if your smell is around them (yes, that means shredded socks/undies), they feel safe/secure, as if you were there yourself to protect them. Try to keep the pup from eating them of course, but maybe try to see it as a compliment :) lol.