PDA

View Full Version : Roxy...*vent*

Roxyluvsme13
03-01-2006, 02:34 PM
Ok, no I'm not mad at Roxy and I think quite a few of you are going to like what I'm about to say. Please don't get mad at me for this, because I really have had a bad day, and Roxy's situation makes it worse.
Ok. So at 1 o' clock animal control shows up at our doorstep saying that someone reported to them that Roxy got no attention, stayed outside 24/7, we didnt feed her, she was completely ignored, etc. YES one of these things is true, but it HAS changed now. Anyways back to the vent. YES We feed Roxy, and yes she used to stay outside all the time, but now she doesnt. My mom has officially allowed Roxy to stay in our laundry room some of the time. I have to walk her more, and pay alot more attention to her. (Walking her is technically a chore now.) I am going to do this, and I never actually ignored Roxy. I love her more than ever, she is my heart, and my soul. My soulmate. My mom said if I didnt want to do this that we could rehome Roxy, but I really think I can make her life better. The person who reported me is basically the vent. I have high suspicions it was a PT'er who I *thought* was a friend. and THEY KNOW who they are. Like I said Roxy's life is improving alot, she's getting more attention, more walks, etc...I'm not trying to start an argument, it's just a vent, and a goodbye. For the time being I am leaving PT, and I will miss you all, especially the people I am close to, very much.
ETA: I'm still sticking around for the siggy swap.

racing_gurl07
03-01-2006, 02:38 PM
oh bri! You told me about this on MSN and i am truly sorry this happened. Im sorry you have to leave PT. We will still talk on Msn
Still Luv Ya Girly!

Anita Cholaine
03-01-2006, 02:49 PM
It's ok if you feel that leaving will be the best... I'll miss you :(

Alysser
03-01-2006, 02:53 PM
Brianna I am so sorry this has happened to you. I hope you come back soon:( :(

dab_20
03-01-2006, 02:56 PM
I am so sorry this happened Brianna! :( Please come back soon.

Husky_mom
03-01-2006, 02:57 PM
i´m sorry you feel bad, but hey it´s better that you can have Roxy inside now isnt it?? and please dont leave just take a healthy break, and come back when you feel ready............if you need anything you know my mail ;)

Kfamr
03-01-2006, 02:58 PM
I don't understand a few things here. Firstly.. these two statements should never cross.

I love her more than ever, she is my heart, and my soul. My soulmate.

(Walking her is technically a chore now.)

If the first statement is true then it should not be a chore to walk her.

Secondly, How could someone on PT report you without knowing your exact location? :confused:

You said you were leaving PT many times now so I'm going to take this post with a grain of salt and move on like I have previously.

My Peanuts
03-01-2006, 03:00 PM
I'm sorry this happened. I'm sure there are two sides to this and every story, but I'm not here to judge. I'll miss you.

Roxyluvsme13
03-01-2006, 03:00 PM
I don't understand a few things here. Firstly.. these two statements should never cross.

If the first statement is true then it should not be a chore to walk her.

Secondly, How could someone on PT report you without knowing your exact location? :confused:

You said you were leaving PT many times now so I'm going to take this post with a grain of salt and move on like I have previously.
I didnt mean Chore as in a bad thing, I meant that its going to become like a Daily Ritual, because I have to take time to do it. (My life is quite hectic lately, and I truly have been wanting to walk Roxy, just havent had the time.)
Oh, and location, because a few people who I *thought* were friends have my addy.

wolf_Q
03-01-2006, 03:01 PM
Living on a chain outside 24/7 is NO LIFE for a dog. I hope you finally see this and Roxy gets the care and attention she deserves.

caseysmom
03-01-2006, 03:02 PM
First off let me say I don't agree with whomever did this to you, especially if it was someone whom you trusted on pettalk.

I know your trying to do what you can for Roxy, I do have to admit that your Mom makes me angry allowing the cute little dog in the house and not Roxy, my small dog is hell on wheels and has destroyed more, peed and pooped on more than casey ever dreamed of.

That being said I know your a minor and doing whats in your power.

My Peanuts
03-01-2006, 03:04 PM
I'm not sure, but I took it as chore meaning she has to do it because her mom made it part of the chores. If I called something a chore (I'm older and I don't have "chores") then it would be something I didn't want to do.

Alysser
03-01-2006, 03:05 PM
Guys, can we please not start questioning! I think Briana is upset enough and questioning her isn't going to help this situtation. PM her privatley if you have to ask that badly.

My Peanuts
03-01-2006, 03:06 PM
I will say this, the fact that Roxy is not outside all the time makes me very happy. I hate to hear about outside only dogs. It breaks my heart.

Roxyluvsme13
03-01-2006, 03:08 PM
I will say this, the fact that Roxy is not outside all the time makes me very happy. I hate to hear about outside only dogs. It breaks my heart.
Maybe I can finally convince my mom she belongs inside. There's a dog down the street who I feel sorry for now. It lives on about a maybe 5 foot chain and never gets walked. The only time I see the owners are when they come out and tell it to shut up.

dab_20
03-01-2006, 03:09 PM
Guys, can we please not start questioning! I think Briana is upset enough and questioning her isn't going to help this situtation. PM her privatley if you have to ask that badly.

I agree... give her a break, would you?

caseysmom
03-01-2006, 03:11 PM
Casey is my soul and heart dog and once she had diareah so I locked her in the bathroom that night so she wouldn't go on the carpet, guess where I slept? On the bathroom floor next to her, thats how I feel about my soul dog so it is hard hearing that walking your soul dog is a chore.

I don't think we are going to get anywhere going over all this again, I would never call anyone on you but a lot of folks on here feel very strongly about animal abuse and would view Roxy's life in such a way.

Roxyluvsme13
03-01-2006, 03:15 PM
Just wanted to say everybody is taking the chore thing the wrong way. I didnt mean it in a way as if I didnt want to do it. (Even though thats what some people are thinking) I meant it as a Daily Ritual, and not as a bad thing, because as I already said Roxy is my life.

Alysser
03-01-2006, 03:17 PM
Caseysmom is right. There is no point going over this agian and Briana said what she really ment about the chore thing.

caseysmom
03-01-2006, 03:20 PM
Well I am glad Roxy's walk is part of your daily routine, I am sure it means a lot to her. Just remember you have school, your mom, your friends, us :D , and a lot more and roxy just has you.

Uabassoon
03-01-2006, 03:20 PM
Maybe it's a good thing that animal control came to your house, maybe now your mom will understand that dogs shouldn't be chained outside. In some states that's actually illegal. Here in Az you could be heavily fined or even sent to jail as keeping a dog on a tie out is considered animal cruelty. That's one thing I love about living here, I never have to see a dog tied up all alone.

caseysmom
03-01-2006, 03:23 PM
Thank god Laura....from what I hear about your state they would die from the heat.

beeniesmom
03-01-2006, 03:24 PM
[QUOTE= (Walking her is technically a chore now.) [/QUOTE]

Hi Bri,
I am sorry for what happened but if Animal Control showed up, I am sure there was a valid reason for it. They really don't invent stuff and have no interest in taking your pet away.

Anyway, I was VERY surprised that you find walking Roxy a chore. If you love Roxy, you'd want to take her out for a walk. Put yourself in her shoes... err paws. How would you like to stay in one place all the time without going anywhere. That would drive anyone nuts. I really think you should set aside more Roxy and you time. She needs the attention. A dog her size MUST be walked at least twice a day for 20-30 minutes. You should be able to do that for her. Once in the morning and once in the afternoon or early evening. I am not perfect and can't take mine every day for 2 walks but at least 6 days a week they get thier walks in.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way. We love you and just want what is best.

Vela
03-01-2006, 03:24 PM
Well, I have to say I'm happy for Roxy. I stopped every saying anything about it, because it wouldn't do any good, but she deserved more than a life on a chain. I know you didn't walk her as often as you said you were going to or wanted to, but she deserves to have attention more than what she was getting. I know you may feel upset at the moment, but in the end really it will be better for Roxy, and you did mention you wanted her to be able to be inside anyway, so that's really not a bad thing.

Only someone who knows your personal information could have called, so are you sure it was someone from PT? Maybe it was a concerned neighbor. If you think about it, Roxy didn't get a whole lot more attention than the dog you feel sorry for. Yes she got fed, which is a good thing!, butshe didn't get a lot of attention.

Sorry you got your feelings hurt, but I am happy for Roxy that she will get more attention. Even when we are busy, if we are going to own animals, we owe it to them to provide them with everything, and that includes our attention, even if we have to make the time and put off something else. Try to look at it as a good thing.

Roxyluvsme13
03-01-2006, 03:29 PM
Well, it could have been a neighbor, and thats what my mom thinks. (Of course I'm not telling her I suspect a PT'er or she would never let me online again!) But I really really think it's a PT'er, because I recently gave my address to someone, who had once before tried to report me to animal control, but they ignored her email...and she finally had my address...so yeah. I thought she was my friend, but apparently not. Of course it could have been anybody, but the neighbors really need not worry about Roxy, because there's a dog in much worse conditions RIGHT down the road.

caseysmom
03-01-2006, 03:34 PM
Why would you give your address to someone online that had previously threatened to report you? Sorry but if you were my kid I would pull the plug, we can say we are a 14 year old girl, we might be a hairy fat 50 year old pervert....please be careful.

My Peanuts
03-01-2006, 03:35 PM
Maybe I can finally convince my mom she belongs inside. There's a dog down the street who I feel sorry for now. It lives on about a maybe 5 foot chain and never gets walked. The only time I see the owners are when they come out and tell it to shut up.

I knew a dog like this. She suddenly "disappeared" one day. I'm happy to take credit for that. She ate scraps, frequently knocked over her water and it was never refilled and it was 100 degrees out! Before that in the winter she was left outside and my Dad called to say, you forgot your dog outside." They didn't forget and my Dad knew it but it got them to take her in. The son would take her with him for runs in the extreme heat and then tie her up with no water while he went into the air conditioned house. Our hose was always by the fence and I'd hose her down in the summer. I also sat with her on 4th of July and fed her treats because she was so scared.

One night he told me "someone" took her. Yeah, I tried to find a home for her and when I couldn’t she went to a shelter and I checked up on her all the time until she got adopted a week later. I don't like adding to the over crowding of shelters but I had no choice. Given the chance I would do it again.

Sorry, there was my own mini rant. Once I start thinking about that poor girl I can't stop! I'm happy she found a loving home.

Kfamr
03-01-2006, 03:40 PM
we might be a hairy fat 50 year old pervert....please be careful.

Hey, don't blow my cover now!!! :mad:

No, I'm kidding but, she is right and it is a very serious matter. I do believe this is a blessing in diguise though, as hopefully Roxy will live a much better life now that AC knows about this location.

Roxyluvsme13
03-01-2006, 03:43 PM
Hey, don't blow my cover now!!! :mad:

No, I'm kidding but, she is right and it is a very serious matter. I do believe this is a blessing in diguise though, as hopefully Roxy will live a much better life now that AC knows about this location.
I knew it! :D (J/k!)
My mom said she could find Roxy another home, when she first told me this. I told her no way. Maybe I can convince full time inside..but for now its sometimes on the backporch and walks every day. (which is ALOT better than it was :))

caseysmom
03-01-2006, 03:44 PM
I have seen your picture Kay, you are a pretty 18 year old girl for sure :D

caseysmom
03-01-2006, 03:46 PM
I don't understand why your mom doesn't just give in on the house. I have two kids and I am not advocating this on any other matter but they can nag me so much I give in to things I would normally say no to.

You could buy a really large crate to keep her in while your not home at least she would be out of the elements. Convince your mom you would bathe her weekly.

I know you have tried all of this but now that the law is involved maybe she will budge.

Roxyluvsme13
03-01-2006, 03:58 PM
I feel incredibly terrible now, and My major apologies.
It wasnt the PT'er I thought it was, apparently it was some stupid neighbor. Now I have like one of my best friends mad at me..and to her I'm so sorry. :(
I love you like a sister, and I'm sorry I accused you. Please forgive me (((HUGS)))
Briana

caseysmom
03-01-2006, 04:00 PM
Try not to be mad at your neighbor they must feel sorry for roxy.

Uabassoon
03-01-2006, 04:01 PM
I wouldn't be angry at your neighbor, if I saw a dog that was always chained up I would call animal control as well.

CagneyDog
03-01-2006, 04:06 PM
It's most certainly not your neighbours fault. I know we aren't getting the whole store here because their must be a much larger problem if your neighbours called animal control. If you were feeding, walking [etc] Roxy like a normal pet owner, I am pretty sure your neighbours would not call.

Either way, I have to honestly say that I think Roxy should be rehomed.And I think you should thinking about that. For Roxy's sake, make the decision with her in your best interest :)

Roxyluvsme13
03-01-2006, 04:07 PM
I'm not really angry at the neighbor, my mom is...but I'm happy they helped give Roxy a new life..what gets me is they said we dont feed her.
Oh, and for all the accusing I did once again a MAJOR APOLOGY! The person everybody is PMing absolutely did not report me.

BC_MoM
03-01-2006, 04:10 PM
Just to clear it up, everyone, no, it wasn't me who reported Bri. I have Bri's address because I'm sending goodies to her poochs. Not to report her.

Of course, I don't blame Briana for thinking it was me. Yes, I reported her when I first joined PT with the username Love4BCs. But I didn't know Briana. I didn't even know her name. All I knew was the dog's name and that she was an outside dog.

Anyway.....

I do have to admit, I'm happy Roxy will be inside some now..

But Briana, I love you, you are my friend, and please don't think I would betray your trust.

finn's mom
03-01-2006, 04:11 PM
Maybe this is what needed to happen in order for the right thing to be done for Roxy, whether it be rehoming her or taking better care of her at the home she has now. As for the rest of all this, maybe this will be a lesson to you to keep some of your thoughts private. ;) Not all of what has been said needed to be said publicly. I have chosen to stay almost 100% out of this particular situation, but, I thought I'd say that much.

Crazy-Cat-Lover
03-01-2006, 04:28 PM
Here in Surrey - practically every second house has a chained dog. So many dogs are taken to animal control and euthanized because of it. I feel very sorry for Roxy and hopefully you and her mom can come to an agreement and let Roxy be an inside dog. I don't think it's right to have a dog if you're going to chain it up outside - but Roxy always looks happy and healthy. She doesn't look underfed or abused. I suggest giving her some free time to run off her chain and do more activities with her. Let your mom see just how much you love Roxy and want her to be just as much a part of the family as you are.

Good luck and best wishes to you and your family. :)

buttercup132
03-01-2006, 04:31 PM
Sorry but I have to agree, you said MANY times before you were leaving but never did... this time I'm not sticking up for you like I did before.

It's most certainly not your neighbours fault. I know we aren't getting the whole store here because their must be a much larger problem if your neighbours called animal control. If you were feeding, walking [etc] Roxy like a normal pet owner, I am pretty sure your neighbours would not call.
I agree again with this.
I think you need to think about whats best for Roxy and not yourself . Just cause you want to keep her dosent mean shes happy...I know its hard but alot of these people do know what they are talking about and I know many of them feel the same way about re homing her.(or they DID)

Alysser
03-01-2006, 04:36 PM
I'm so glad you guys have cleared this up. I was basically torn between it. But now that everything is good, Briana DON'T leave PT at all!

Alysser
03-01-2006, 04:40 PM
Let's just see how everything goes first before you go saying "Rehome Roxy!". ;)

Crazy-Cat-Lover
03-01-2006, 04:43 PM
Let's just see how everything goes first before you go saying "Rehome Roxy!". ;)

I totally agree with you. :)

Suki Wingy
03-01-2006, 04:52 PM
I think whoever said to see if you can find a large crate to keep her in inside had a good idea. What about your room? Does your mother claim control over it too or is is worth begging her to let Roxy stay in there? I just hope she's happy and healthy and on a smaller chain than the pics on your zoto. Sorry I mentioned this but a while ago when you posted valentine's pics I found it easier to just click the next button on your site and scroll through there than to keep clicking the thumbnails and I happened upon a rather frightning pic of Roxy but I feel better that you said she has a much better life now

Roxyluvsme13
03-01-2006, 04:56 PM
I think whoever said to see if you can find a large crate to keep her in inside had a good idea. What about your room? Does your mother claim control over it too or is is worth begging her to let Roxy stay in there? I just hope she's happy and healthy and on a smaller chain than the pics on your zoto. Sorry I mentioned this but a while ago when you posted valentine's pics I found it easier to just click the next button on your site and scroll through there than to keep clicking the thumbnails and I happened upon a rather frightning pic of Roxy but I feel better that you said she has a much better life now
What pic was that? :confused:
I tried my room, too, and I said its my room, and I sleep in there and my mom said well its my house, and I say no...She's so hopeless. At least this knocked some sense into her.

Suki Wingy
03-01-2006, 05:03 PM
this was the one. I know you should be able to see the ribs kind of on dogs but I don't think that much.

Crazy-Cat-Lover
03-01-2006, 05:06 PM
this was the one. I know you should be able to see the ribs kind of on dogs but I don't think that much.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

k9krazee
03-01-2006, 05:09 PM
I'm glad your neighbors called actually, I think Roxy deserves much more than she's getting. I'm glad you're willing to do more for Roxy (even though you say the same thing in every thread like this...)

Is it just the picture or is she really that thin?
http://roxyluvsme13.zoto.com/img/45/fd417d444adcfeef4b524c3dce30c636-.jpg

Good luck! I really hope your mom changes her mind about Roxy being in the house, it just doesn't seem fair if the cute puppy can be in and the older big dog has to stay outside :(

Oh, *edit*....Suki, we think alike...

BC_MoM
03-01-2006, 05:10 PM
You shouldn't be able to SEE the ribs on dogs, but you should be able to easily feel them. Or so I've been taught. lol :confused:

If I recall correctly, that is an older picture of Roxy.. but Briana said she is thin and that her Mom scheduled a vet appt. for next week and they are checking for worms. :)

Roxyluvsme13
03-01-2006, 05:14 PM
That pic is about 2 months old, but she is that skinny. It's definitely not because I dont feed her. My mom is going to schedule a vet appointment for next Saturday and dont think I'm not worried about her, because I definitely am.

Jadapit
03-01-2006, 05:15 PM
Yikes! :eek: That picture makes me want to cry. A lot of pits/ pit mixes are real lean Ebony is but you cant see her ribs like that. I hope for Roxy's sake that her life really is improving....

CagneyDog
That's disgusting.

Suki Wingy
If I recall correctly, that is an older picture of Roxy.. but Briana said she is thin and that her Mom scheduled a vet appt. for next week and they are checking for worms. :)
Oh, good!

Jadapit
03-01-2006, 05:16 PM
That pic is about 2 months old, but she is that skinny. It's definitely not because I dont feed her. My mom is going to schedule a vet appointment for next Saturday and dont think I'm not worried about her, because I definitely am.

Have you checked her poop for worms? Usually you can see them. Poor girl. :(

Vela
03-01-2006, 05:17 PM
I think part of it is what you feed her. Honestly, I can see why the neighbors called, and I'm not saying that to be mean, I'm really not. She looks like she is being starved, and if she looked like that two months ago, she should have seen a vet long before now. I realize you don't control that, but it's still the case. I'm glad to hear she is going in. Is she on HW prevention or worm prevention?

Roxyluvsme13
03-01-2006, 05:17 PM
Have you checked her poop for worms? Usually you can see them. Poor girl. :(
Not recently, but I saw some about 2 days ago and it was fine.

Roxyluvsme13
03-01-2006, 05:18 PM
I think part of it is what you feed her. Honestly, I can see why the neighbors called, and I'm not saying that to be mean, I'm really not. She looks like she is being starved, and if she looked like that two months ago, she should have seen a vet long before now. I realize you don't control that, but it's still the case. I'm glad to hear she is going in. Is she on HW prevention or worm prevention?
Umm...somebody's mom forgot to buy it... :mad:
ETA: I'll make SURE she buys some this week.
Oh, and I just realized the pic was taken more like a month ago, but its the way shes bending that you see her ribs so well.

Daisy and Delilah
03-01-2006, 05:20 PM
Sorry Briana, I've really tried to stay out of this but I can't help myself. Please go back and read what finn's mom said. Before posting this type of information publicly, think about it first. I regret that another huge can of worms has now been opened about this situation. Only good can come out of this in my opinion. It took an outsider to make your Mom aware of the reality of this situation but someone had to do it. Please don't think I'm judging you, but instead, offering a piece of advice.....if after all this, Roxy doesn't have a better life, maybe re-homing her is the best all the way around. Just think about it. And lastly, and after the fact; if one single PT'er had actually reported you, why would you leave the board because of one person? It wouldn't have been as if all of us was responsible. Sorry for the questions. I'm just confused. I hope and pray that Roxy is allowed to live in the house from now on. Living on a chain 24/7 is no life for her :( Please give her lots of extra kisses for me.

Jadapit
03-01-2006, 05:21 PM
Not recently, but I saw some about 2 days ago and it was fine.

I'm glad she is gong to see the vet. Please give her a "hug" for me.

Crazy-Cat-Lover
03-01-2006, 05:21 PM
There should be some fat covering - but the ribs should not show. Roxy is very underweight in that picture, all the other ones I have seen of her she looked healthy. And if it is worms, it is most likely tapeworms. Roundworms cause a pot-bellied appearance while tapeworms cause weight loss. How are they supposed to control tapeworms when dogs get them from fleas? No fleas = No tapeworms. If they use a flea medication on Roxy, it will prevent tapeworm infections. If she has tapeworm, she has or had fleas. :(

*EDIT* Tapeworm segments are like rice, roundworms are not segmented and look like spahgetti.

Vela
03-01-2006, 05:22 PM
Now please don't take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to bash you, and I realize you are not responsible for everything that happens, but I think you honestly should consdier rehoming Roxy. Your mom doesn't seem to care about her enough to even meet her basic needs and no matter how much you love her, unless you can go buy them yourself and make sure she is taken care of, then she really might do better in another home. I know you love her, but love isn't enough. She needs good food, a warm place to be, and proper medical care. Those are basic needs and they aren't being met, yet Lily has a cheerleaders outfit, among others. At least consider rehoming her, because your mom honestly doesn't seem to care about her. I really am not bashing you, but I feel horrible for that dog.

Roxyluvsme13
03-01-2006, 05:22 PM
And lastly, and after the fact; if one single PT'er had actually reported you, why would you leave the board because of one person? It wouldn't have been as if all of us was responsible. Sorry for the questions. I'm just confused.
No, I have other reasons of leaving, too, that I'm not going to discuss publicly :)

Daisy and Delilah
03-01-2006, 05:33 PM
One more thing. I have to agree with what Vela posted after me. Briana, it seems your Mom doesn't really care about Roxy and she seems to be making all the decisions concerning her. Why won't she consider finding a new home for her rather than putting her through more undue misery? I do believe you love her enough to set her free(not literally of course) so maybe you can convince Mom that's the best way. If you find her a nice, new home, you could maybe go and visit her so she would still be in your life. Just a suggestion :)

Kfamr
03-01-2006, 05:33 PM
If it is indeed tapeworms and not lack of food, she's had to have them for quite a while I believe. I think they take a while to actually make dogs show that much. My three had them before, for about a month (although they were on medication from the vets) and they didn't show signs of weight-loss.

Dogs can get tapeworms from a few different ways..
Ingesting a flea with tapeworm egg in it
Ingesting another animal infected with tapeworm
Ingesting feces with tapeworm

-sigh- Hopefully animal control there keeps an eye on dogs they are called about.

CagneyDog
03-01-2006, 05:35 PM
I sure hope this is from worms, not starvation :(

Crazy-Cat-Lover
03-01-2006, 05:46 PM
Kay - you are right. Each tapeworm is roughly 12 inches long. She would need to have a severe infestation to lose that much weight in so little time. Now, tapeworm infestation and starvation produce completely different symptoms. I see that she has a dull coat - obviously from the poor quality food. In alot of the pictures she has weepy eyes. I PRAY that it isn't from starvation, but it is still neglect letting a dog go with worms for that long (if she indeed has them). And Bri - please don't use "she has worms" as an excuse to hide starvation. Animal Control will find out the truth and you will look like a bad owner. Either way, she is still chained in the backyard with worms and/or starved. That is total neglect IMO.

:(

Roxyluvsme13
03-01-2006, 05:50 PM
The AC guy already said she could have worms. They know that. She's going to be going to the vet on March 11, and shes not THAT skinny, its mainly the pictures. Dont you even DARE say I starve her because I sure as heck dont. I really am leaving now and not replying anymore.
Thanks to all the people who helped and have always been there for me, I will miss you all most.

Crazy-Cat-Lover
03-01-2006, 05:53 PM
Dogs can get tapeworms from a few different ways..
Ingesting a flea with tapeworm egg in it
Ingesting another animal infected with tapeworm
Ingesting feces with tapeworm

Yes, but how could Roxy ingest another animal when she is on a chain? The only feces around are probably her own, unless she has Coprophagia (eating feces) and keeps resetting the tapeworm cycle (providing there were eggs in that particular elimination). The only "real" possible way for her to get tapeworm is from fleas - that is where they come from.

Tollers-n-Dobes
03-01-2006, 05:53 PM
I saw that picture too a while ago. Briana, if you don't mind me asking, what kind of food does Roxy eat and how much of it? Maybe it isn't giving her enough nutrients for her to stay at a healthy weight? If it is worms, I agree with Kay that it takes quite a while for a dog to be affected that much. I don't believe you'd starve Roxy, so I'm just trying to think of other things that could be maknig her so thin.

Roxyluvsme13
03-01-2006, 05:55 PM
I saw that picture too a while ago. Briana, if you don't mind me asking, what kind of food does Roxy eat and how much of it? Maybe it isn't giving her enough nutrients for her to stay at a healthy weight? If it is worms, I agree with Kay that it takes quite a while for a dog to be affected that much...
She eats Kibbles and Bits dry food, 1 cup, 2 in the winter.
Alpo canned 1 can
(YES I know its NOT good food...)

beyond_me
03-01-2006, 05:56 PM

Maybe that is how the person you thought was a "friend" felt, the same way you feel about the dog down the street. Maybe the way you wrote things made them think the same thing you are. If you talked to the owner maybe they feel the same way you do about your dog??? They just don't have the time like you. But wish they did and maybe might start making the time like you are.

Crazy-Cat-Lover
03-01-2006, 05:56 PM
The AC guy already said she could have worms. They know that. She's going to be going to the vet on March 11, and shes not THAT skinny, its mainly the pictures. Dont you even DARE say I starve her because I sure as heck dont. I really am leaving now and not replying anymore.
Thanks to all the people who helped and have always been there for me, I will miss you all most.

Bri - we are just looking out for the welfare of Roxy. We all just said we hope it is worms and not starvation. It is hard to tell from the pictures and animal control will find out either way. It is still SERIOUS neglect to let your dog go that long - to the point of looking starved - without taking her to the vet. It is just as bad as starvation...

Alysser
03-01-2006, 05:58 PM
I've always thought people on PT care about there pets and that will never change. Briana, you don't starve Roxy and I know that.

Roxyluvsme13
03-01-2006, 05:58 PM
Well, she only goes to the vets once a year for her shots and I'm no expert so how was *I* supposed to know she might have had worms? The AC guy didnt seem too concerned, so apparently it wasnt that bad. It could also be where Roxy runs so much in the yard. OR as someone suggested to me the changing of seasons.

BC_MoM
03-01-2006, 05:59 PM
Alpo canned 1 can

Briana, you told me she eats Alpo dry and Dog Chow canned on MSN about 30mins ago. :confused:

beyond_me
03-01-2006, 05:59 PM
Sorry I was writing back about the last stuff on the first page. Sorry I'm kinda out of it.

Roxyluvsme13
03-01-2006, 06:00 PM
Briana, you told me she eats Alpo dry and Dog Chow canned on MSN about 30mins ago. :confused:
I meant Alpo canned and Dog Chow dry on MSN :p
She is only on Dog Chow, for the moment. She is USUALLY on the Kibbles and Bits stuff.

Crazy-Cat-Lover
03-01-2006, 06:00 PM
Alpo canned 1 can

She gets one cup of dry food each day and one can of wet food every day? That is NOT healthy. She should be getting alot more food seperated into 2 meals. And two cups in the winter? She should probably be eating 2-4 cups a day to maintain a healthy weight.

Roxyluvsme13
03-01-2006, 06:01 PM
She gets one cup of dry food each day and one can of wet food every day? That is NOT healthy. She should be getting alot more food seperated into 2 meals. And two cups in the winter? She should probably be eating 2-4 cups a day to maintain a healthy weight.
Like I said I'm *NO* expert. She usually gets treats, and maybe some of whatever we have for lunch in between there.

k9krazee
03-01-2006, 06:01 PM
I agree...only 1 cup a day :eek: That could definately account for weight loss...

Tollers-n-Dobes
03-01-2006, 06:02 PM
Alpo canned 1 can

Is that 1 cup daily or 1 cup twice daily? It's not your fault that she has to eat that, so I'm not going to say anything about it. I'm not sure exactly how big Roxy should be but Tango is my smallest adult (36lbs) and she eats roughly 3 cups daily during the winter and a bit more in the summer (because she's so active) of higher quality food. Winston, eventhough he's bigger eats 2 1/2 cups a day of the same food, but he's a pretty lazy dog so that's enough food for him. Since Roxy is on Kibbles N' bits, I'd put her up to about 3-4 cups a day (2 cups in the morning, 2 in the evening) until she's at a good weight and then *maybe* cut her back a little.

Crazy-Cat-Lover
03-01-2006, 06:03 PM
Like I said I'm *NO* expert. She usually gets treats, and maybe some of whatever we have for lunch in between there.

You don't have to be an expert to read the back of her food bag. It says right on the bag how much to feed. It would be like me eating a bowl of cereal in the morning and a piece of steak for dinner. She needs more food in order to get all the vitamins/minerals she needs. Try giving her 2 cups, twice a day. :)

Roxyluvsme13
03-01-2006, 06:03 PM
Daily...

beyond_me
03-01-2006, 06:04 PM
Hi eveyone sorry to butt in but you should prob ask the vet what they think she should weigh and feed her the amount that will get her to that weight, just read the back of the bag.

Roxyluvsme13
03-01-2006, 06:05 PM
Well...there's nothing on the back of the bag...

Tollers-n-Dobes
03-01-2006, 06:07 PM

Is there something on the side (sometimes those can't be trusted anyway, I know if I fed my dogs what the instructions say they'd be huge)? Like I said, I'd be feeding her roughly 2 cups twice a day (4 cups all together).

Roxyluvsme13
03-01-2006, 06:08 PM
Is there something on the side? Like I said, I'd be feeding her roughly 2 cups twice a day (4 cups all together).
Don't think so...

Crazy-Cat-Lover
03-01-2006, 06:08 PM

There HAS to be something somewhere on the bag. They can't sell food without a guideline as to how much to feed. It should be somewhere near the guaranteed analysis and ingredients list.

Go here: Kibbles 'N Bits (http://www.kibblesnbits.com/varieties/original.aspx#feedingguide)

It explains how much to feed to different sized dogs.;)

Roxyluvsme13
03-01-2006, 06:09 PM
There HAS to be something on the back of the bag. They can't sell food without a guideline as to how much to feed.

Go here: Kibbles 'N Bits (http://www.kibblesnbits.com/varieties/original.aspx#feedingguide)

It explains how much to feed to different sized dogs.;)
But it's Not EXACTLY kibbles and bits. It's the Grocery Store brand.

Kfamr
03-01-2006, 06:09 PM
Yes, but how could Roxy ingest another animal when she is on a chain? The only feces around are probably her own, unless she has Coprophagia (eating feces) and keeps resetting the tapeworm cycle (providing there were eggs in that particular elimination). The only "real" possible way for her to get tapeworm is from fleas - that is where they come from.

She lives outside. Any animal that could have died in the area her chain reaches she could have aten.

Eating other poop, if OP takes her on walks like she said she does, then she could have easily eaten poop then.

Roxyluvsme13
03-01-2006, 06:10 PM
She lives outside. Any animal that could have died in the area her chain reaches she could have aten.

Eating other poop, if OP takes her on walks like she said she does, then she could have easily eaten poop then.
FYI Roxy's not a poop eater :p

k9krazee
03-01-2006, 06:10 PM

It doesn't matter. The point is that she should be getting a bit more than you are currently feeding her. It has already been suggested twice....I would try about 4 cups a day (thats 2 cups twice a day)

Crazy-Cat-Lover
03-01-2006, 06:11 PM

I don't think it matters. Pretty much all low quality foods require more feeding amounts. 4 cups a day is sufficient, why don't you do that? If she has worms, all that food shes eating is being stolen by those nasty worms. Feeding her more is the best thing to do - it doesn't matter what brand she eats, she needs more than what you give her. Give her 4 cups a day until she starts gaining her weight back atleast...

Roxyluvsme13
03-01-2006, 06:12 PM
She eats Wet food, too...

Thandi
All I can say after reading thread after thread after thread over the time I've been a member of PT, is: Poor Roxy. :(

beyond_me
have you de wormed her yet???

Roxyluvsme13
03-01-2006, 06:13 PM
have you de wormed her yet???
I already said shes going to the vet March 11.
Oh, and question, we have some dewormed in the fridge...Could I give her some of that?

beyond_me
03-01-2006, 06:13 PM
What is it???

Crazy-Cat-Lover
03-01-2006, 06:15 PM
She eats Wet food, too...

She still needs MORE kibble!

Crazy-Cat-Lover
03-01-2006, 06:15 PM
I already said shes going to the vet March 11.
Oh, and question, we have some dewormed in the fridge...Could I give her some of that?

What kind of dewormer is it? The only one I can't think of being refridgerated (even though it is not supposed to be) is Strongid-T? But even in the vet clinic - we NEVER refridgerated any dewormer.

:confused:

beyond_me
03-01-2006, 06:16 PM
Yes, yes, yes more kibble but a she needs to get dewormed!!!

beyond_me
03-01-2006, 06:16 PM
Panacur also.

Crazy-Cat-Lover
03-01-2006, 06:18 PM
Panacur also.

True - but that is not effective against tapeworm...

*EDIT* Strongid-T is not effective against tapeworm either.

Alysser
Is there any food with dewormer? :confused:

Iilo
First, is it an actual COOKING cup or is it just "oh, i found this plastic container i'll say it's a cup" cup? Because that's what my friend did with her dog, and the container actually had about 3 cups in it.

And if it is an actual cup...

Rien eats HIGH QUALITY food and he gets 3.5 cups a day.
He's about Roxy's size, but obviously he gets more exercise, being that he's not on a chain 24/7 (minus maybe an hour). With CRAP food, I'd go with at least 4-5 cups a day. No wonder she's so thin. She's STARVING.

Crazy-Cat-Lover
03-01-2006, 06:20 PM
Is there any food with dewormer? :confused:

Raw food acts as a natural dewormer. Pumpkin also helps with worms.

Roxyluvsme13
03-01-2006, 06:20 PM
It's the yellow stuff that smells like Vanilla. I gave her 6Ml becauses its 1mL for every 10 pounds.
I also figured out a feeding schedule.
In the morning before school
2 cups of Dry
In the evening After school
2 Cups of Dry and Alpo
or Maybe 2 Cups of Dry then at about 5:30 the Alpo...not sure yet.
Can I just start over, and be a better pet owner?
Forgive and forget?

Thandi
03-01-2006, 06:34 PM
Can I just start over, and be a better pet owner?

:rolleyes: for how long?

Roxyluvsme13
03-01-2006, 06:35 PM
Forever. :mad:

Crazy-Cat-Lover
03-01-2006, 06:35 PM
It was never your fault, you are young and just learning about dogs. I dont personally think you are a bad owner. Your feeding plan sounds great. The yellow liquid that smells like vanilla is Strongid-T. You can go to the vet and get a couple Drontal pills for really cheap, since Strongid-T doesn't treat tapeworms.

Roxyluvsme13
03-01-2006, 06:39 PM
It was never your fault, you are young and just learning about dogs. I dont personally think you are a bad owner. Your feeding plan sounds great. The yellow liquid that smells like vanilla is Strongid-T. You can go to the vet and get a couple Drontal pills for really cheap, since Strongid-T doesn't treat tapeworms.
It could possibly not be worms at all, just that she wasnt getting enough food. I'm still going to make my mom take her in for a check-up, because I worry about my girl! I'll ask them a bunch of questions about what we can do for her :). I've almost decided there's not really a reason to quit PT...

CathyBogart
03-01-2006, 06:41 PM
http://childfree.socialreject.net/res/smiley/beat_a_dead_horse.gif

OKAY everyone, she knows what we think and she's making things better for her dog, so leave the %)^(#% horse alone 'cause it's DEAD.

animal_rescue
03-01-2006, 06:41 PM

Chill out, she's only 13.

Alysser
03-01-2006, 06:45 PM

That was a very unessacary comment. :mad:

Roxyluvsme13
03-01-2006, 06:51 PM
Thanks everybody for all your help! I promise to get some new pictures of Roxy tomorrow, and to be a better pet owner! :)

CathyBogart
03-01-2006, 06:53 PM
I look forward to new pictures, she's got SUCH a cute face!

Roxyluvsme13
03-01-2006, 06:53 PM
Thanks Ya! :D (I think so, too :p)

dab_20
03-01-2006, 07:29 PM
What kind of dewormer is it? The only one I can't think of being refridgerated (even though it is not supposed to be) is Strongid-T? But even in the vet clinic - we NEVER refridgerated any dewormer.

:confused:

We were told to refridgerate our dewormer when we got Sammy by the vet.

I'm so glad your not leaving PT!

sammy101
03-01-2006, 07:30 PM
I'm glad you are trying to improve Roxys life. I wish you and Roxy the best :) Cant wait for pictures!

dogzr#1
03-01-2006, 08:01 PM
Well I'm glad you are going to feed her more. It may sound odd but... Do you get a weekly allowance? I used mine to buy Molly, Astra, and Prince some Wellness when we used to be feeding Purina. I read the label and heard that corn wasn't good so I switched foods. You can ask your mom to take you to your local petstore to buy some better food. As suggested, you need to feed Roxy more. Molly is on a diet and she gets 3 cups of food a day. And to say this is coming from someone younger than Brianna. :)

buttercup132
03-01-2006, 08:05 PM
We all think we can leave PT when ever we want but secretly Karen and Paul have hipnotized us to stay ...so were stuck heere for life no matter how hard you try your always drawn back here:p :D

Flatcoatluver
03-01-2006, 08:09 PM
We all think we can leave PT when ever we want but secretly Karen and Paul have hipnotized us to stay ...so were stuck heere for life no matter how hard you try your always drawn back here:p :D
I know what ya mean :p

CagneyDog
03-01-2006, 09:26 PM
So is she coming in the house now?

bckrazy
03-01-2006, 10:02 PM
I'm glad this thread hasn't been all bashing (like some other threads like this one... :/ ) and it's awesome that you are improving her life. In all honesty, I would've done the same as your nieghbors, they really aren't "stupid". I also don't understand why Roxy can only sleep in the back porch sometimes...

Get her on HW medication ASAP! I know plenty of people whose outside dogs struggled and died from HW's. She absolutely needs to see a Vet, but, I wanted to add that my sister has a Lab that is outdoors all the time except for at night, and he is also quite thin even with really good food (Diamond and raw). You cannot see his ribs, but they're very palpable. Outdoor dogs need many many times the calories of indoor dogs to regulate their body temperature. Like, 2x more food or more! Their bodies have to fight freezing temperatures, which burns loads of calories. This is another reason you can tell your Mom - it's very hard on her body, and requires much more food therefore much more cost, for her to live outside.

Flatcoatluver
03-02-2006, 12:00 AM
I had no idea that when it cold outside it burns more calories. that makes sence for our neighbors lab, and yes when I pet sit for the dog I saw how much they fed him. He is a very tiny dog. :eek:

.sarah
03-02-2006, 02:41 AM
I guess you're starting to realize now that someone calling Animal Control was a blessing in disguise :)

beeniesmom
03-02-2006, 08:34 AM
Alpo canned 1 can

HOLY CRAP!
That is certainly not enough food. That is how much mine eat (each) and they are 20 lb dogs!

racing_gurl07
03-02-2006, 09:06 AM
I used to have a dog, a Brittany Spanial, and she was always on a chain but i played with her all the time and walked her. She was my baby. But we coudlnt let her run because we live next to a high way and she got on the high way one time and almost got run over. But anyway..My dad convinced me to put her on a farm to run run run. Even though I thought she was happy tied up, when i played with her, she wanted to be free. She was also skinny, but you coudlnt see her ribs because of her fur, but she was SO hyper she was skinny..is that bad? (she got alot of human food and always had dog food avaible)

beyond_me
03-02-2006, 11:55 AM
Could you leave food down for her all day that has been measured out and then let her eat what she wants. And then measure it again and then you will be able to tell how much she really needs

beyond_me
03-02-2006, 12:01 PM
Can you try to look for a food that has more Calories in it the is still cheap?

Muddy4paws
03-02-2006, 12:04 PM
Personally I think you should rehome Roxy, a dogs life is short enough as it is, when was the last time she was allowed to roam free in a fenced off area? Honestly I know you must love her to pieces but sometimes we cant be selfish and have to decide whats best for the dog instead of our feeling and emotions.

Please dont take this as a "bashing" post, I know you are only 13/14? and you dont have too much control over letting her in the house so its hard for you aswell but seriously consider either going back to the vet with Roxy and having a long convasation about all her needs like food, shelter etc so you know for sure what she needs instead of reading infomation from here or other websites, ***No offence everyone*** but I Personally think it be better if the vet saw her 121 to give her proper instructions

Roxyluvsme13
03-02-2006, 02:19 PM
So is she coming in the house now?
NO I said the laundry room, sometimes. It's a major improvement, and maybe I can convince my mom every night. As for actually getting her IN the house..That's not going to be easy.

Alysser
03-02-2006, 03:22 PM
Briana I think I have a plan.

Make Roxy escape from the laundry room purposley. Maybe then your mom would see how good she is in the house. Is she potty trained?

Roxyluvsme13
03-02-2006, 03:23 PM
Briana I think I have a plan.

Make Roxy escape from the laundry room purposley. Maybe then your mom would see how good she is in the house. Is she potty trained?
No, and whenever I *accidentally* let her in my mom yells at me.

Alysser
03-02-2006, 03:25 PM
DARN! Maybe if you potty trained her she might be able to go in the house! :D

BC_MoM
03-02-2006, 03:31 PM
Being locked in a room is not a big improvement, IMO. Just as bad as being on a chain. The purpose of the AC saying she needs to be inside because she also needs more social interaction than she is getting.

Honestly, Briana, you told me your Mom loves her in a different way, but if she loved her, why did she ask you if she could rehome Roxy? Because she doesn't love her. She doesn't want her. :(

Roxyluvsme13
03-02-2006, 03:31 PM
I know..like I said I'll try. I'll work with her on my upcoming Spring Break.

k9krazee
03-02-2006, 03:35 PM
Being locked in a room is not a big improvement, IMO. Just as bad as being on a chain. The purpose of the AC saying she needs to be inside because she also needs more social interaction than she is getting.

That is EXACTLY what I was thinking...

You say you'll work with her but honestly, how many times have we heard that before!?! :( :(

.sarah
03-02-2006, 03:43 PM
I actually think that it's an improvement. She's going to be in air conditioning and she won't have pounds of chain hanging on her neck. Certainly not the ideal situation but I think it's an improvement.

Roxyluvsme13
03-02-2006, 03:44 PM

Honestly, Briana, you told me your Mom loves her in a different way, but if she loved her, why did she ask you if she could rehome Roxy? Because she doesn't love her. She doesn't want her. :(
Try telling my mom that. She doesnt listen to me.

Alysser
03-02-2006, 03:45 PM
I actually think that it's an improvement. She's going to be in air conditioning and she won't have pounds of chain hanging on her neck. Certainly not the ideal situation but I think it's an improvement.

I agree!

dab_20
03-02-2006, 03:46 PM
I'm sorry you can't convince your Mom. I definatly have been there with my Dad, except it was my barn cat. You feel so helpless, you have no choice over it, I know.

Feeding 1 cup a day?? :eek: Molli eats almost one cup a day, and she's 5 pounds!!

beyond_me
03-02-2006, 03:55 PM
Nice collar on Roxy, I think she looks awesome in pink!!! :)

dab_20
03-02-2006, 04:04 PM
Nice collar on Roxy, I think she looks awesome in pink!!! :)

I agree! Roxy's collar looks so nice on her! I like your siggy btw, Briana!

Flatcoatluver
03-02-2006, 05:31 PM
at the kennels I work at we give the dog's roxy size 1 1/2 cups in the mourning, plus gravy. Your need to devently give her more food. At ngiht we give them the same amount. I mean that might even be on the lower side, but we do this because they get tons of cookies their too.

I honestly don't see why you mom could say she loves roxy. I think love is giving a dog all she needs. offiusally in this situation, she isn't gettting all she needs

dogzr#1
03-02-2006, 05:58 PM
I just saw the picture and was astounded! You can easily see her ribs and spinal cord. Astra is dainty and underweight for her size but I know her ribs don't protrude that much! Some dogs are naturally skinny but not where you can see their ribs. May I suggest that you feed Roxy and Lily some higher quality food. If money is the problem then maybe you should rehome her. I'm sorry to have to give that as an option, but it may be better for her. :( :) (((((HUGS))))) to Roxy.