PDA

View Full Version : Spaying.....

conans_in_heaven
02-28-2006, 05:48 PM
Scamp needs to be spayed because i want to put her in the Great American mutt show next year, but because she is over 6 months i think it will hurt her....... :(

I don't know what to do!

~amanda

MyLittleMutt
02-28-2006, 06:06 PM
It is not going hurt her because she is over 6 months.

Get her spayed!!

sammy101
02-28-2006, 06:07 PM
It wont hurt her!Just because she's over 6 months doesnt mean she cant be spayed!You might want to do it ASAP before she has her first heat.

conans_in_heaven
02-28-2006, 06:11 PM
She has already been in heat TWICE!! I know my mom says we will get her spayed :) wish us luck for when we do

binka_nugget
02-28-2006, 06:20 PM
Don't worry. She'll be fine. Kaedyn was about 7 when he got neutered and everything went smoothly. :)

conans_in_heaven
02-28-2006, 06:22 PM
That make me feel SO much better!

Vela
02-28-2006, 06:51 PM
Dogs generally have their first heat between 6-12 months, some have longer breeding cycles and may not until 12-24 months. A complete cycle is over about 6 months, resulting in two estrous cycles a year so I doubt she has had two heats already by the time she is six months. Some puppies have had heat cycles as young as 4 months, but she still wouldn't have had time to have two even if that were the case. It won't hurt her to spay her and ought to be done as soon as possible.

Jessika
02-28-2006, 07:21 PM
Dogs generally have their first heat between 6-12 months, some have longer breeding cycles and may not until 12-24 months. A complete cycle is over about 6 months, resulting in two estrous cycles a year so I doubt she has had two heats already by the time she is six months. Some puppies have had heat cycles as young as 4 months, but she still wouldn't have had time to have two even if that were the case. It won't hurt her to spay her and ought to be done as soon as possible.

I was thinking the same thing. Dogs only go into heat twice a year, and generally don't get their first heat from 6 - 12 months.. so if she is just now six months old the most she could have been in heat is once, if that.

Anyway, it will NOT hurt her to be spayed after six months. Jamie is a little over a year before she gets spayed and she did fine!

luvofallhorses
02-28-2006, 07:27 PM
it won't hurt her, trust me! :) please get her spayed!
she will be a lot healthier that way, too! :)

k9krazee
02-28-2006, 07:30 PM

I don't think the dog is 6 months. I took it as the OP thought the time to get spayed is when the dog is 6 months old but since the dog is older than 6 months, she thought it would hurt the dog...if that made sense...

Like others said, she should be completely fine, and probably better off in the long run anyway, please spay her! :)

MyLittleMutt
02-28-2006, 07:33 PM
I'm pretty sure in another post she said her dog is 2 1/2 years old.

Vela
02-28-2006, 07:46 PM
Ah ok, for some reason I thought she was six months or close to six months, I hadn't read all of her posts. Thanks for the clarification, I wasn't paying enough attention=)

Jessika
02-28-2006, 07:48 PM
I was confused too, Vela. I thought she was a little older than six months.

Thank for clearing it up guys :)

Vette
02-28-2006, 07:51 PM
Dont worry hun. she'll be fine!!

just look at all the shelter animals. im sure a LOT of them are over 6 months old..
and they do perefectly fine during/after the operation. :)

dappledoxie
03-01-2006, 08:06 AM
I just got my baby girl spayed, and she's 2 years old, turning 3 this year. I wish I would've gotten it done sooner but I too was afraid. Everything went fine with her so don't worry, your baby will be fine. :)

IRescue452
03-01-2006, 09:41 AM
You need to get her spayed. There are lots of benefits.

dab_20
03-01-2006, 12:09 PM
The fact that she is only 6 months old, she coulden't of had 2 heats already. Possibly one, if that. My dog Molli didn't have her first heat until she was 14 months old.

It won't hurt her because she's 6 months. That's acctually the recommended age to do it. Please get her spayed!! You, and her, will appreciate it later on.

conans_in_heaven
03-01-2006, 01:20 PM
The fact that she is only 6 months old, she coulden't of had 2 heats already. Possibly one, if that. My dog Molli didn't have her first heat until she was 14 months old.

It won't hurt her because she's 6 months. That's acctually the recommended age to do it. Please get her spayed!! You, and her, will appreciate it later on.

No i said she was OVER 6 months....she is about 2 1/2 or 3.....we are not very sure.

We are going to get her spayed! YAY!

luvofallhorses
03-01-2006, 01:47 PM

good! :D

dab_20
03-01-2006, 02:22 PM
No i said she was OVER 6 months....she is about 2 1/2 or 3.....we are not very sure.

Oh, sorry got confused.

That's great!!

DIANESDOGS
03-01-2006, 02:44 PM
I think everyone was reading her little obit reference to "Conan". 6 months since Conan went to Heaven. I always hear of the many benefits of spaying, but what are they actually? Besides the obvious? :)

dab_20
03-01-2006, 03:12 PM
There are MANY benefits to spaying. The obvious being they won't get pregnant and bring even more litters into the world, just that many more being killed in shelters. It lowers the risk for cancer, and helps with behavioural problems. Spaying and nuetering is the best thing you can do for your dog in my opinion.

IRescue452
03-01-2006, 05:58 PM
Female dogs won't get ovarian or uterine cancer since those are completely removed. Male dogs won't get testicular cancer. Females have reduced risk of mammory cancer. Male dogs won't jump fences or escape, risking getting lost or hit by a car for a female in heat. Females won't bleed all over the house. There is never the risk of a female having a bad pregnancy, where she needs a c-section or dies from complications.