PDA

View Full Version : Help!

Roxyluvsme13
02-28-2006, 04:09 PM
Lily is humping things...Including my arm and Skye. :eek:
How can I stop this?

Husky_mom
02-28-2006, 04:14 PM
thats normal, some females develop dominance attitudes as males, you can try telling her NO and get her off, because if you let her continue she might think she the boss

Roxyluvsme13
02-28-2006, 04:19 PM
thats normal, some females develop dominance attitudes as males, you can try telling her NO and get her off, because if you let her continue she might think she the boss
That's what someone else said...but the No isnt working so well...

sammy101
02-28-2006, 06:17 PM
Lucy does that sometimes to Kodie when they're playing.She is a dominant girl,lol. We usually say 'LUCY' in a stern voice and she stops.Works for us. I dont really know any other way to help you though.

lv4dogs
03-01-2006, 09:42 AM
I agree with the others, it probably is a dominance issue.
The first step would be to teach her a "off" or "leave it" command. That will at least let you re-direct her behavior when she does do it.

To help overcome this problem (which will most likely help but may not cure the problem totally) you should start some serious training with her.

Enrolling her into classes will help with not only this but many other things as well. It will help teach you AND her many things like basic commands, some behavioral issues, it will help with socialization and bonding too.

And of course you want to try to avoid anything that may make her think that she is more dominant than you and other family members.
NILIF is a GREAT program to follow in cases like this. Basically what you do is make her obey a command or two for EVERYTHING. Make her sit before you feed her dinner, make her lay down before she goes outside, make her shake paws before you pet her, etc....
Do not allow her on any furniture, especially your bed & try not to pick her up unless needed. She needs to stay height wise, lower than you. Feed her AFTER you eat. etc...

Here's a pretty decent site w/ some info:
http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/our_pets_for_life_program/dog_behavior_tip_sheets/Dominant-Dogs.html

here's another good site with links:
http://www.newhopecattledogs.com/training.htm

Good luck! :)

dab_20
03-01-2006, 01:16 PM
I agree with the others, it probably is a dominance issue.
The first step would be to teach her a "off" or "leave it" command. That will at least let you re-direct her behavior when she does do it.

To help overcome this problem (which will most likely help but may not cure the problem totally) you should start some serious training with her.

Enrolling her into classes will help with not only this but many other things as well. It will help teach you AND her many things like basic commands, some behavioral issues, it will help with socialization and bonding too.

And of course you want to try to avoid anything that may make her think that she is more dominant than you and other family members.
NILIF is a GREAT program to follow in cases like this. Basically what you do is make her obey a command or two for EVERYTHING. Make her sit before you feed her dinner, make her lay down before she goes outside, make her shake paws before you pet her, etc....
Do not allow her on any furniture, especially your bed & try not to pick her up unless needed. She needs to stay height wise, lower than you. Feed her AFTER you eat. etc...

Here's a pretty decent site w/ some info:
http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/our_pets_for_life_program/dog_behavior_tip_sheets/Dominant-Dogs.html

here's another good site with links:
http://www.newhopecattledogs.com/training.htm

Good luck! :)

Coulden't have said it better. I had this problem with a female mini dachshund I had once. I told her NO in a stern voice and she usually did stop.

Roxyluvsme13
03-01-2006, 08:56 PM
Thanks for all the help! She seems to be doing it a TAD bit less...

howlyip
03-02-2006, 05:21 PM
How old is she, is she spayed, when did this start happening, and what situations bring it to happen??

Roxyluvsme13
03-02-2006, 07:40 PM
She's almost 5 months, and shes not spayed YET. I dont know what situations....
ETA:Taylor is safe :D

howlyip
03-03-2006, 08:50 AM
Yeah Perfect age, she may be coming into a heat cycle, if she hasn't yet, therefore hormones are starting to rage. Get her fixed, once hormones slow down, this should either stop or lessen very much. She is thinking some dominance but mostly it's the hormones and she doesn't know how to react.

Who
03-04-2006, 10:34 PM
My dog did this, still does once in a while. Have to watch her with new dogs. My sisters dog does it too, but he's not fixed yet. he should be soon tho. Our dogs stop as soon as we yell their name. Altho Homer, my sisters dog, still needs a little more work on it. getting him fixed will help alot.