PDA

View Full Version : 7 just isn't enough

Lizzie
02-28-2006, 03:53 PM
I really thought that natural attrition taking my cat numbers down to 7 was something of a relief to me. Hopefully, I'll be able to pay down some heavy debts, I thought. I can certainly spend more time with cats who got little attention while I was paying special attention to the very sick ones. I was sure it felt good to get home and only pill one cat, put dry food into 7 bowls, re-fill 3 water bowls, and scoop out 18 litter boxes.

But then there was my reaction to one of the pets on gas row, posted by mrbluekittie. I know very well that there are many cats out there, dying in the bushes or behind trash containers, being euthanized in shelters all over this country, and that none of us can save them all. However, one cat on the list wouldn't leave my mind and I decided to push my credit card bill even higher by adopting her if she was still alive, shipping her from Georgia to Washington state. Fortunately for both of us (the trip would have been a nightmare to her), she has been adopted. After I heard the news, I faced the fact that having only 7 cats just wasn't enough for me. So I've volunteered to be a foster parent for a local no-kill shelter, and I'm hoping they will accept me.

It's ridiculous really since I know Ted will start spraying up the walls, I'll lose my dressing room, I'll have to get up half-an-hour earlier each morning, and I won't pay off any debts. Why am I so excited for it all to start?!

jenluckenbach
02-28-2006, 04:52 PM
I think I could hug you right now. I think I will.............

{{{{{{HUG}}}}}}

I sure wish I could find a few (heck, even 1 or 2) people like you closer to here. Foster homes are so difficult to find. :(

You will absolutely adore being a foster home! And the kitties will thank you endlessly.

I m so excited for you!!!! :D :D :D

catmandu
02-28-2006, 05:44 PM
I Think Its Because You Love Cats.
Why Did I Take In Not Only Tubby2,but Three Kittens Who Race Through The Hose Upsetting Things And Who Will Add To My Vet Bill?
Because I Love Cats!!!
And Seeing My Cats Enjoy The Kittens,and Seeing Tubby2 Starting To Enjoy His New Home Are Worth More Than Money.
We Wish You Nothing But The Best In You New Role,and We Know That The Cats Will Be Lucky To Have Your Love.

Lizzie
02-28-2006, 08:09 PM
I think I could hug you right now. I think I will.............

{{{{{{HUG}}}}}}

I sure wish I could find a few (heck, even 1 or 2) people like you closer to here. Foster homes are so difficult to find. :(

You will absolutely adore being a foster home! And the kitties will thank you endlessly.

I m so excited for you!!!! :D :D :D

Thank you for the big hug, Jen. I didn't realize it was really difficult to find foster homes, so my chances should be good.

I am nervous about fostering a pregnant cat, even though I'll go through a training session, because it's something I've never dealt with. I imagine I'll be on the forum asking for advice quite frequently. The youngest kittens I've taken care of were about 3 weeks old.

Actually, I have one question right now that just popped into my head. Is it best to seal off the bottom of the door if I do foster a pregnant cat, so that she won't feel stressed by the 3 or 4 cats on the other side poking their paws underneath.

Oh! and another question. Since kittens (with mom) would be with me for 8 weeks, should they be kept in one room for all that time or should they be released into the main area of the house?

jenluckenbach
03-01-2006, 05:00 AM
Well, with fostering a pregnant mom, mom does most of the work. But you do need to be prepared just in case mom rejects the babies (I never had this happen to me, but it does happen).

I never covered the crack under the door, but it would depend on each individual cat. Some might need that total separation, and others won't mind a paw or two under the door.

As far as keeping them in one room, start by asking the agency you end up fostering for. Some have strict rules on "mingling".

smokey the elder
03-01-2006, 06:57 AM
Pregnant moms can be quite easy. They, and the litter, should be segregated, either in a separate room or a large crate. There are volunteers in my organization that use both methods, and they work. I personally don't let them into the "general population" until they're weaned, wormed, had their first distemper, and tested neg. for FIV/FLV.

Good luck, and thanks for being bitten by the "fostering bug"!

catmandu
03-01-2006, 09:49 AM
I Had The Miracle Of Having Three Babies Born In The Found Cat Hotel.
I Am Still Sorry That I Was Not Able To Get Pouncette Into The Spare Bedroom In Time,and That She Had Her Babies In The Basement.
And One Baby Was Still Born Sadly,but From What I Hear Gary And Ivon Are Huge Now,and May Have Maine Coon In Them.
And Pouncettes Is Dayle And Has A Wonderful Home In An Old Railroad Station/museum Where She Gets Petted And Pampered.
Good Luck With Your Momma Cat And Babies.