PDA

View Full Version : My dog has forgotten that she is housebroken!

3-greys-and-a-mutt
07-24-2001, 07:40 AM
Our Pup has suddenly started going to the bathroom in the house again. She is about a year-and-a-half old, and has been with us for almost a year. It took a long time after we found her for her to become potty-trained, but once she learned, we didn't have problems anymore. Well, last week, we were dogsitting a friend's dog, and Pup started this habit of sneaking off into the other room to poop! She did it several times, and we could never catch her in the act. Now, the other dog is gone, and Pup hasn't pooped in the house for several days, but now she is peeing in the house. Again, she sneaks off into another room when we aren't looking. This morning, we hit 'snooze' a couple of times, and when I finally got out of bed, there was a fresh Pup puddle by the door.

Any advice on re-housebreaking a dog? :(

She does have some other socialization problems that we are working through, and we hope to put her in obedience classes in later summer/early fall.

We have suspected illness, but she seems to be acting like herself (except for some lethargy that we are attributing to the 90+ degree temps around here lately).

Help???!!!!! :eek:

Tanya&Fritz
07-24-2001, 08:28 AM
I'd stay start over from the beginning again. Fritz still has accidents too. Last night he pooped on my husband's side of the bed. Not sure what was up with that :D

Corinna
07-24-2001, 10:24 AM
Please take the dogs to the vet My neighbors Gsd was peeing in the house something she'd never done. It was an infection from an ear problem she has. She was very uncomfortable. A couple of days on an antibuotic and she's great. We were also thinking heat but it wasn't.

RachelJ
07-24-2001, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by 3-greys-and-a-mutt:
<STRONG>. Well, last week, we were dogsitting a friend's dog, and Pup started this habit of sneaking off into the other room to poop!

This morning, we hit 'snooze' a couple of times, and when I finally got out of bed, there was a fresh Pup puddle by the door.
</STRONG>

Another pup in the house may have set off the original regressed behavior. My Tucker did the same thing after we Graham visited for a couple days.

Accidents do happen and we have to be careful that we are not contributing to the problem as well. If you have a furkid who is a "sneak into the other room" type, my philosophy is one has to be extra alert....that is no sleeping late. :p

3-greys-and-a-mutt
07-24-2001, 03:50 PM
I usually am a good mama, really! :D
I learned when I adopted fresh-off-the-track race hounds that there is no sleeping in on the weekends!
Usually, though, Pup hears us hit snooze, and takes it as an opportunity to come up in bed and snuggle with me! If she had whimpered, whined, barked, whatever, I would have had her headed to the backyard in no time - but she gave me no warning, just peed quietly by the door. :(
She wasn't a "sneak-into-the-other-room" type before, and I really want to break her of that habit. She knows what she's doing is wrong, or else she'd do it right in front of us; also, she doesn't piddle in her crate at all, even when left for 5 or 6 hours!

carrie
07-25-2001, 01:43 AM
You are obviously a good Mom, I mean three Greyhounds in one house? Heaven! How do you ever bear to go out the door without them?!

The original lapse in house training was almost certainly due to the stress of having another dog in the house upsetting the pack structure.
I would also agree that a trip to the vet would be a good idea, especially as it is a urination problem now.
If there is no health problem then going back to basics with the house training may help although I suspect it has more to do with the pack structure changing in some way. Has the dog been less bold, showed more submission to the other dogs than usual? It may be very subtle.

Can you shut doors to other rooms until the problem is sorted?

Keep an eye out for signs of stress and how the dogs are interacting with each other. Has your routine changed at all? Very small changes can upset a sensitive dog, especially if she was made insecure by another dog in the house.

Is she spayed? Coming into season?

The vet is the first thing to check up on though - good luck with her and let us know how you get on and bless you for taking track dogs on - aren't they a dream?!

Pam
07-25-2001, 07:02 AM
Isn't it nice that Carrie is back in time to answer this one! We have missed you Carrie!!

Bella here with a note to Hannah....See, finally your mom got 'round to postin' somethin' negative 'bout that Tucker guy. Not everyone is perfect, but Hannah you are close in my eyes. When I grow up I wanna be just like you. :) My mommy says I am well on my way! She sorta sighed after she said that. :)
Your friend and admirer, Bella

[ July 25, 2001: Message edited by: Pam ]

AdoreMyDogs
07-25-2001, 08:13 AM
This is Graham. Tucker I have to have a man to man word with you...listen, buddy I know you liked me and everything, but mom gets embarrassed when she hears stories of you makikng puddles in the house because of lil' ol' me. My mom tells me that she sure does hope I did not teach you to pee like a mandog with your leg all lifted all manely and macho like. Mom says squatting is much cuter then lifting. Make sure you forget that I lifted, and keep squatting, and make sure you do it all outside, becuase it may hurt my chances of finding someone nice to host sleepovers again...and we can't have that! Got that, Tucker? Good...now give Hannah a kissie for me :)

3-greys-and-a-mutt
07-25-2001, 08:25 AM
I'll call the vet's office this afternoon. I still suspect that it's a behavioral issue, because of the way it started when there was a new dog in the house; also, now that it has cooled down yesterday, she isn't acting lethargic anymore - she's acting like her usual goofy self! And I know that pack order and dominance are BIG issues on Pup's mind!
We've been "checking her out" for things like ear problems, back spasms, leg problems - the "typical" maladies that cause uncontrollable urination - and we haven't seen any problems. But, it's probably best to let the Vet check her out.
By the way, she had no accidents last night, but did have one this morning when my husband got out of bed an hour-and-a-half before we wake up. Once she's awake, she just can't hold it anymore! I wasn't even awake, or I would have let her out!
:rolleyes:

Thanks so much for all the advice!
And yes, retired racers are fabulous pets! Such sweet, loving personalities! :)

RachelJ
07-25-2001, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by 3-greys-and-a-mutt:
<STRONG>. Once she's awake, she just can't hold it anymore!
</STRONG>
Some dogs are like that. Looks like she just doesn't have your husband trained yet.
Actually it would be best to have the vet check it out. This could be a urinary tract infection (which usually responds quite well to medication) even if the pooping in the other room was due to behavioral reasons

[ July 25, 2001: Message edited by: RachelJ ]

RachelJ
07-25-2001, 09:21 AM
Hi, it's me, Hannah! Bella, believe me there is other stuff Mom somehow forgets to tell you guys about Tucker. Like how occasionally he's got "poopy breath". Mom says it's because I am on this diet and she is feeding him less now too so he don't get fat like me and that why she thinks he had poopy breath, 'cause he was hungery. :rolleyes: Well, I get less than he does to eat and you don't smell no poopy breath on ME. She is watching him like a hawk. Ha, no better for Mr. Perfect.

Graham, he didn't make puddles, he made stinkies in the other room, like how he did when there was a lot of snow outside. (She always has some excuse for him!) Mom thinks he just missed all the fun you guys had. Graham, he didn't forget what you taught him. He is so proud, but doesn't do it all the time, just like maybe once every third time. Still a little bit of a girly-boy. I think he'll need a couple more visits from you, whom I wouldn't mind seeing myself ;)